Thomas Cook to ban dolphin encounters in DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How does a travel agency from one county "ban" something in another country?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Doesnt include them in their package holidays, i guess ;)

On a side note oceanworld looks really sad and run down nowadays, from the outside at least ( didnt go in, was just at the beach next to it )

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
39% seems an odd number? Better to be captured than clubbed to death or hunted for your meat.

For clarity, the cruelty claim stems from a report 7yrs ago.

I would think that some POW would disagree with your statement

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

They are saying that they will no longer have Ocean World on their tour schedule in the DR. They made a conscience decision to try to change the narrative keeping "wild" animals in captivity for the publics pleasure. Sea World in the States has run into the same problems with their Orca's. It's a fine line between inter-action and abuse of these animals.

Jul 28, 2014
There are enough boats/catamaran's on the island willing to take you out to see Dolphins or Whales au natural. I'd much rather see them that way anyway.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Bravooo - everybody should ban these Shows all over the world... Shame on all business throughout the world keeping wild animals in captivity for profit. How can somebody enjoy visiting places like that ? Out of ignorance and stupidity I guess .

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was helping a friend in the travel industry to organise excursions and I went with him to Ocean World and had a show-round by the boss last year. I thought it was truly awful and thought the way the animals were "trained" to do things that clearly they would not do in the wild was just wrong. Nothing looked very clean, the conditions looked basic at best, and everything seemed geared to exploiting the fact that kids like dolphins and trying to nickel and dime the parents out of their last few cents. Horrible place, I think top marks go to Thomas Cook for dropping it. Travel firms seem to copy each other with this type of thing, so I expect many others will now drop it, and hopefully it will close down or change for the better.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I was helping a friend in the travel industry to organise excursions and I went with him to Ocean World and had a show-round by the boss last year. I thought it was truly awful and thought the way the animals were "trained" to do things that clearly they would not do in the wild was just wrong. Nothing looked very clean, the conditions looked basic at best, and everything seemed geared to exploiting the fact that kids like dolphins and trying to nickel and dime the parents out of their last few cents. Horrible place, I think top marks go to Thomas Cook for dropping it. Travel firms seem to copy each other with this type of thing, so I expect many others will now drop it, and hopefully it will close down or change for the better.

I would find it hard to believe that Ocean World is at all regulated by the DR Gov. They probably set their own standards and the less income you have coming in the lower your standards are going to be. Animals that are used to living in the wild should stay there. If animals are born in captivity tihan their adjustment to an enclosed area is probably easier. You want to swim with the dolphins learn to scuba dive and go out in the ocean where their real habitat is.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I believe there are two similar excursions offered in Punta Cana. How do they compare in regards to living conditions for the animals? Does any one know? Humane treatment of animals is not exactly top priority in the DR, but maybe the facilities in Punta Cana have higher standards than Ocean World, maybe not. 

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The only regulation seems to be regulating how frequently politicians and police come for their propinas. Keep those to a minimum and keep people from getting too hurt too frequently and you can pretty much do whatever you want. It's how the reef got all chewed up over the years.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thomas Cook UK haven't flown to the North Coast for many years.

Yes, it seems strange that they should single out a particular place where their clients have little chance of visiting anyway. Perhaps it's just an easy shot to get some cuddly, animal-friendly publicity.