travel with noncustodial child

Jolene

Jan 21, 2002
We are travelling to DR with a 17 year old that is not our child, friend of our daughter. We were told by the travel agent that we only need a picture ID and notorized letter from her parents giving permission to travel with us. Is this correct? Read an article that said she needs a passport. Don't have time to get one! Trying to avoid problems getting into and leaving DR. Any help is appreciated!

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Dear Jolene,

Not sure if anyone responded to you, but my mother has brought my grandson here with the following: a notorized letter from the parent/s and a certified birth certificate. No, it hasn't been necessary to have a passport as long as the birth certificate is certified (ie: not a copy, it's original and has the local or state seal)

I understand though that since 9/11, a person has to have a passport to return into the USA. You can get a passport in 4 hours! Go to your local passport agency, take the airline ticket with you and they will process your application that day. Now you'll pay for it, as nothing is free with any government agency. I think it was about US$120.00 when I did it 2 years ago.

Good luck!