New Crackdown Has Kept Police and Military Very Busy

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I read this morning that that the new directive to try to be pro-active in cutting down on crime has yielded over 1500 arrests. WOW! Very impressive. What made me chuckle was the number of vehicles, especially motos that were confiscated because of the lack of registration. The other thing that was mentioned was that the Noise Police removed a large number of stero systems and speakers in an effort to cut the noise levels back to acceptable. Is this the new norm or is the DR Gov trying to make a splash leading up to Samana Santa? Not sure but it's a start.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In separate stories, I've read that over 4000 motos in total have been confiscated.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The joint police/military actions which have been focused on Greater Santo Domingo, are to be extended gradually to the whole of the country and be permanent in Santo Domingo.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-republica/2017/04/05/460820/plan-antidelincuencia-seguira-indetenible

“El patrullaje se irá expandiendo gradualmente en todo el país, y de todas maneras es bueno que quede algo claro, los patrullajes, las actividades de inteligencia y persecución del crimen y delito se están y se vienen realizando en todo el territorio nacional

I guess that means many more motos being confiscated.

On the mention of confiscation of stereo systems, my guess this is to do with systems in vehicles. Confiscation of music systems from noisy colmados and bars is a regular event now by Medio Ambiente and PN and nothing new in Santo Domingo and other cities and towns.

http://hoy.com.do/departamento-antiruidos-ocupa-mas-de-11-mil-bocinas-por-contaminacion-sonica/

http://acento.com.do/2016/actualida...nas-contaminacion-sonica-noviembre-diciembre/

http://eldia.com.do/antiruidos-se-incauta-355-bocinas-y-apresa-32-personas/

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I think you nailed it with the above part of your statement.

If you were in Santo Domingo now where this action is currently focused, you would be thinking otherwise.

There are a lot more military and police on the streets today in our part of National District and there have been plenty of military helicopters circulating. This morning there was particular attention around Mirador Sur Park. A report below states an increase in military now involved.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...es-en-puestos-de-reten-del-gran-santo-domingo

And the explanation for the activity in the area could be in relation to an attack last night on a restaurant, Meat and More in Los Cacicazgos very close to where the President lives.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...-reside-el-presidente-danilo-medina-AB6751064

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I noticed Sunday afternoon the police had several stop and frisk
check points here in Santiago near where I live. Personally I don't
mind it at all as I get sick of the same little d*ckheads shooting off
their guns waking me up at night.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm not sure what to think about the military presence. They did it some years ago, I think it was still in Leonel's government, this time it's even more dominant. Some considerations:

1. I think it gives a false sentiment of safety (as showed the assault on the meat place on av. Enriquillo and also this weekend on a KFC restaurant on Defillo / Romulo Betancourt). 

2. Like today, they closed off all entrances of a barrio a few blocks from where I live in SD. How long are they sticking with that. Do they expect the criminals will just keep riding around with their guns when they know the military is there? 

3. What society we live in if to maintain a certain level of safety you need to send soldiers out on the streets? To fight PETTY crime. (we're not talking about hijackers, kidnappers, terrorists, serial killers, but barrio rats who 90% of the time are robbing you of your phone or of the money you just took from the ATM. 

4. This will last a few months, crime will go down somewhat, soldiers will disappear, and crime will again go up. 

On another note: I still have to find out why I can't and won't trust dominican Police but I have never had reasons to be afraid a Dominican soldier would try to shake me down / give me a hard time to get some cash. Maybe something with the disciplinary measures that FFAA would take if a soldier does anything like that, however in the past few days they wave me through all the time, stopped me once asking if 'I was military' and on my negative answer: vaya con Dios.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm not sure what to think about the military presence.

i'm with you here. on one hand, good job. granted, those few thousand "arrested" were mostly let go within hours - DR does not have the capacity to keep them for any length of time - but there were few in that bunch who were wanted by the police for past crimes. on the other hand, it's a very temporary measure, this level of activity cannot be kept up for good and it does not really bring any permanent solution to crime problem.

i'm also with you when it comes to the attitude towards dominican police. i have never had any issues with them and i found them all around helpful. PN ain't bad, it's dominican justice system that is fcuked, broken and rotten to the bone. PN gets the guilty people time and again and the judges let them go time and again. no wonder the cops get weary of that shyte and simply kill criminals on the spot.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
[/QUOTE] On another note: I still have to find out why I can't and won't trust dominican Police but I have never had reasons to be afraid a Dominican soldier would try to shake me down / give me a hard time to get some cash. Maybe something with the disciplinary measures that FFAA would take if a soldier does anything like that, however in the past few days they wave me through all the time, stopped me once asking if 'I was military' and on my negative answer: vaya con Dios.[/QUOTE]

He's saying he doesn't trust the police but hasn't had issues with the military. The soldiers have a totally different vibe than the Police, that's for sure.  

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
And the quote is messed up. Not sure what happened there? 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The military-police patrols will be permanent

Nope , not just for Easter nor for any other particular situation:

The military-police patrols will be permanent

Santo Domingo.- Defense minister Rubén D. Paulino on Tuesday called on society to have confidence on the patrols conducted by the military and National Police since last week, and announced that they’ll be permanent.

He said the mixed patrols have yielded positive results thus far, but noted it will be next Friday when they’ll render a full report.

Paulino spoke after meeting with senior military and police officers, which lasted around 3 hours.

He said they analyzed the actions that have been carried out by the joint patrols, adding that the operations will be permanent.

Source: DT

Apr 4, 2017

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
got to give the military here something to do besides a parade once a year :bunny:

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I'm not sure what to think about the military presence. They did it some years ago, I think it was still in Leonel's government, this time it's even more dominant. Some considerations:

1. I think it gives a false sentiment of safety (as showed the assault on the meat place on av. Enriquillo and also this weekend on a KFC restaurant on Defillo / Romulo Betancourt). 

2. Like today, they closed off all entrances of a barrio a few blocks from where I live in SD. How long are they sticking with that. Do they expect the criminals will just keep riding around with their guns when they know the military is there? 

3. What society we live in if to maintain a certain level of safety you need to send soldiers out on the streets? To fight PETTY crime. (we're not talking about hijackers, kidnappers, terrorists, serial killers, but barrio rats who 90% of the time are robbing you of your phone or of the money you just took from the ATM. 

4. This will last a few months, crime will go down somewhat, soldiers will disappear, and crime will again go up. 

On another note: I still have to find out why I can't and won't trust dominican Police but I have never had reasons to be afraid a Dominican soldier would try to shake me down / give me a hard time to get some cash. Maybe something with the disciplinary measures that FFAA would take if a soldier does anything like that, however in the past few days they wave me through all the time, stopped me once asking if 'I was military' and on my negative answer: vaya con Dios.

Assaulting someone with a gun and stealing their cellphone , purse or jewelry or other belongings is not a PETTY crime

Last edited by a moderator:

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Assaulting someone with a gun and stealing their cellphone , purse or jewelry or other belongings is not a PETTY crime

You are 100% correct. Any time a firearm is used it is no longer a petty crime. My wife's family has lost 2 people to gun violence just going about their normal lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
You are 100% correct. Any time a firearm is used it is no longer a petty crime. My wife's family has lost 2 people to gun violence just going about their normal lives.

I am glad both you and Mcinbrass have highlighted that the current problems in DR are not just Petty crime.

For the past 18 month to two years there has been a ramp up of significant proportions of serious and violent crime and it has affected not only the capital but the provinces too. Thankfully foreigners have not been involved that often.

The problem is that the violent crimes have migrated from the barrios to affect the whole population. There is a drug and gang culture affecting the country which has to be addressed and the only viable option is to use an underused disciplined military. What are the other current options to avoid the country descending into another Mexico or Central American mess?

We have seen police officers killed for their firearm. Banks, insurance companies, malls raided. Innocent civilians killed in collateral damage. And add this to the daily robberies of smaller businesses with firearms and the assaults on people whilst driving, plus the type of gun fights exemplified as shown on social media this week of gunmen on two motos shooting at a police patrol. And so the government has to act.

A root cause and cancer is drugs which needs to be tackled with urgency. It is not the only issue but the others are underlying social and political issues which will take time to address and are no justification for no action right now to a very serious problem.

I am all for a permanent military security presence at this current time and this is nothing unusual in other tourist based economies, Thailand as an example.

Do nothing and anarchy sets in.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Admittedly , aggravated assault is more than petty crime (I'll ignore the name calling that Alterego deleted, which just shows more of someone's upbringing than it should). 

However my point is, I'm sure there are other ways to combat the type of crime we're facing. It's not that the government is up against some highly organized crime or terrorist organization. We all know that for years, almost decades, the criminals are known by the police but are allowed to go with their dealings until it goes too far, like the son of the ex general last year, and then the police takes them out.

Also, police itself is part of the problem and/or the gangs. About 6 or 7 years ago there was a similar violence / crime wave and they send the army out on the streets. They had plenty of time to reform the police force from that moment on to solve the problem in a structural manner instead of extinguishing fires when it goes out of hand, (but actually isn't more than symbol policy to make people think something is done. 'Haciendo bulla' how the locals call it who know that really nothing changes).

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Admittedly , aggravated assault is more than petty crime (I'll ignore the name calling that Alterego deleted, which just shows more of someone's upbringing than it should). 

However my point is, I'm sure there are other ways to combat the type of crime we're facing. It's not that the government is up against some highly organized crime or terrorist organization. We all know that for years, almost decades, the criminals are known by the police but are allowed to go with their dealings until it goes too far, like the son of the ex general last year, and then the police takes them out.

Also, police itself is part of the problem and/or the gangs. About 6 or 7 years ago there was a similar violence / crime wave and they send the army out on the streets. They had plenty of time to reform the police force from that moment on to solve the problem in a structural manner instead of extinguishing fires when it goes out of hand, (but actually isn't more than symbol policy to make people think something is done. 'Haciendo bulla' how the locals call it who know that really nothing changes).

Mauricio you are wiser than this to think there are other solutions!

They didn't reform the police when needed. They didn't address the rampant corruption yet. They didn't address weaknesses in the judiciary. Inequality remains. Drugs and gangs took over.

It is happening and needs immediate reaction.

This isn't Europe with a EU solution.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Mauricio you are wiser than this to think there are other solutions!

They didn't reform the police when needed. They didn't address the rampant corruption yet. They didn't address weaknesses in the judiciary. Inequality remains. Drugs and gangs took over.

It is happening and needs immediate reaction.

This isn't Europe with a EU solution.

This is where the problem lies. It should start at the top but for some reason the DR Gov has fully addressed this issue. Unfortunately many at the top of the food chain have their hand out and look the other way. Your are right in saying that if those in power don't take a tougher approach to crime and corruption they will also put themselves in a weaker position. A legal system is only as strong as it's weakest link. In this case there are a few links that are broken and need immediate replacement. The wheels of reform turn very slowly in the DR. Many times, as an example, the court system, which should act independently is strongly influence by outside forces. This weakens the entire system from Judges on down. Third world "democracies" are sometimes very reluctant to give up too much control and power to the people themselves. If they don't do it willingly many times the citizens will force the issue. At some point, it may come to that in the DR.