dominican airforce comes to the rescue of ill cruise ship passenger

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
in good news today:

the crew from cruise harmony of the seas reached out to dominican airforce for help for one of their passengers whose health was rapidly deteriorating. local airbase sent huey to pick up the tourist. he was lifted on board of the chopper by military medical personnel and taken to clinica bournigal in puerto plata.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...ladar-turista-enfermo-de-un-crucero-EY6771688
I think I'd rather take my chances with the ship's doctor

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The fact that the ships doctor requested outside assistance leads me to believe the medical condition of the patient was beyond the capability of his resources. Good on the DR military personnel for their quick response. I have no doubt he will be treated well. The DR government is doing everything they can to accommodate cruise lines. This will be great PR for the government, assuming the patient recovers. 

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
It is nice to hear a feel good story. I cant wait to see how the hospital defrauds this poor persons travel insurance

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I almost never hear of the Dominican Military doing any rescue, glad to hear it.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I almost never hear of the Dominican Military doing any rescue, glad to hear it.

Landing a big military Huey in a small space on the deck of a pitching and heaving cruise ship requires a steady hand and steel nerves. My hat goes off to the pilot of that aircraft. I've done ocean pollution reconnaissance in MBB 105's, dual engine German helicopters, and landed on the back of Canadian Coast Guard icebreakers in high winds. Not an easy thing to do. A distant cousin of mine was killed a few years ago flying a CCG helicopter to an island to land a lighthouse repair technician. He ran into a whiteout and lost his visibility. He was close to retirement. I have great respect for the people who fly these missions.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
They landed on the cruise ship? Not an expert but I thought these extractions were normally done using a rescue litter and cable hoist so as to avoid a dangerous landing. Be intetesting to see how the victim is doing and what was his diagnosis.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
f24330755362a646b3c29f1ea2adcd03.jpg

b306c785adbc694a51c02c7dbb15f94e.jpg

a89b8d7172aa1c80fa5794e1ba49f43b.jpg

73b9342ebdb5f1147d076fe3ffa32804.jpg

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/helico...iajaba-en-un-crucero-por-el-oceano-atlantico/

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
They landed on the cruise ship? Not an expert but I thought these extractions were normally done using a rescue litter and cable hoist so as to avoid a dangerous landing. Be intetesting to see how the victim is doing and what was his diagnosis.

harmony of the seas is the largest cruise ship in the world. the helipad at the bow of the ship is really ample (as can be seen on the pictures). maybe it was safer and more comfortable for them to land rather than send the rescue team down, secure the patient and hoist everyone back up. in any case, they did a great job.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I think I'd rather take my chances with the ship's doctor

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Obviously the examining doctor on the cruse ship had a different diagnosis.
Clinica Bournigal does a good job, I'd rather be there than CMC.
Santiago often is too far in emergencies.
Good job by the Dominican rescue team!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
harmony of the seas is the largest cruise ship in the world. the helipad at the bow of the ship is really ample (as can be seen on the pictures). maybe it was safer and more comfortable for them to land rather than send the rescue team down, secure the patient and hoist everyone back up. in any case, they did a great job.

That was my impression from the video footage. They chose to land rather than do a basket retrieval. After reviewing the photos, the helicopter doesn't appear to have an external winch system, so landing on the ship was their only option.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
in good news today:

the crew from cruise harmony of the seas reached out to dominican airforce for help for one of their passengers whose health was rapidly deteriorating. local airbase sent huey to pick up the tourist. he was lifted on board of the chopper by military medical personnel and taken to clinica bournigal in puerto plata.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...ladar-turista-enfermo-de-un-crucero-EY6771688

This could be a great story line for a new Domincan Drama TV series, "Rescue Gringo" Could feature a rouge helicopter pilot who just happens to be a women and and a crazy partner who goes off the grid to save wayword gringo's. There will be plenty of sexual tension and "gringo" interactions. It's a must see and can't miss. 3 thumbs up!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most rescues are done after a major storm such as a hurricane.

Asking for bribes and keeping the peace after a storm (plus looking good in parades and sitting on plastic chair in the shade) are the main functions of the Dominican Military.