Tax exoneration to bring the private stuff in the country

Calabasin

Apr 5, 2017
Hello, everyone. I just got my first temporary residency in the country and I would like to bring a container with personal stuff (furniture, appliances etc.). As I understood there is a law , if you move here you can brig one container and one car with no tax or discounted tax. Has anyone actually done it?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hello, everyone. I just got my first temporary residency in the country and I would like to bring a container with personal stuff (furniture, appliances etc.). As I understood there is a law , if you move here you can brig one container and one car with no tax or discounted tax. Has anyone actually done it?
I have. There are numerous hoops to jump through.

You may want to cinsult with an experienced local mudanza. There are numerous, especially in Santo Domingo.

I used Aquino and Associates and were very pleased.

BTW: you have six months to do it, starting with when you got your residency.

affald

May 17, 2004
Does the car have to be registered or owned by the person for x number of months under this residency program?

Calabasin

Apr 5, 2017
I have. There are numerous hoops to jump through.

You may want to cinsult with an experienced local mudanza. There are numerous, especially in Santo Domingo.

I used Aquino and Associates and were very pleased.

BTW: you have six months to do it, starting with when you got your residency.

About the 6 month to do it. For instance if its more than 6 month I have my residency, next year I change it, basically if I didn't use my right for a tax free container first year can do it second or the third?

Jan 9, 2004
Does the car have to be registered or owned by the person for x number of months under this residency program?

Yes. One year, I believe.

And once brought in it must remain in your name for 3 years, I believe. Any sale prior to that and the full tax will be collected.

Perhaps someone who has recently done it will comment further.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
About the 6 month to do it. For instance if its more than 6 month I have my residency, next year I change it, basically if I didn't use my right for a tax free container first year can do it second or the third?
Nope.

First six months.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Funny, my sister had all her furniture and house stuff moved from Canada last September. It was a complete 2 bedrooms apartment. She and I don't have ANY residency or whatever else papers. She paid NOT one cent in taxes....
Who's scamming who ???

Calabasin

Apr 5, 2017
Funny, my sister had all her furniture and house stuff moved from Canada last September. It was a complete 2 bedrooms apartment. She and I don't have ANY residency or whatever else papers. She paid NOT one cent in taxes....
Who's scamming who ???

Can you be more specific, please. I would like to know from which place your sister shipped it from Canada (mine is from Canada as well), how much you payed , did you use any services from customer brokers etc.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Who's scamming who ???
You paid NOTHING at the port?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Who's scamming who ???

It's because it's in the price Charlise you just didn't know it... all shippers file to Canada customs and arriving country declared and duties paid...we had problem in Canada with stolen cars and cars with loans leaving Country ,no more..all responsibilities fall on shipper including liabilities they price you all in Canada

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
So you have to by a car a year  early and it has to be only 5 yesrs old and you only have six mounths to do it. Can you do this with the residency From the regulathion plan? 

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
She shipped from Laval, Québec, Canada, to Sabaneta de Yasica.
She used a company owned by a Dominican living in Laval.

She had the furniture of a 2 bedroom apt. No appliances as I had all mines here in the house. She paid $ 4,500 CDN. That included all the packaging and wrapping done by them, pick-up, loading in the container, boat transport, etc... to finally delivery to our door. She had nothing to do.

Maybe the taxes were included in the price as someone said. But I know that once she paid the 4,500 $, she did not give another cent, except a tip to the guys who unloaded the truck here at the house.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
She shipped from Laval, Québec, Canada, to Sabaneta de Yasica.
She used a company owned by a Dominican living in Laval.

She had the furniture of a 2 bedroom apt. No appliances as I had all mines here in the house. She paid $ 4,500 CDN. That included all the packaging and wrapping done by them, pick-up, loading in the container, boat transport, etc... to finally delivery to our door. She had nothing to do.

Maybe the taxes were included in the price as someone said. But I know that once she paid the 4,500 $, she did not give another cent, except a tip to the guys who unloaded the truck here at the house.
That's about what I paid, in total, to bring my stuff---more than a 2BR apartment---to the DR from FL, and I paid all taxes through my shipper at the port. I paid each charge separately.

So your friend most likely did, indeed, pay the taxes. She just didn't know it because they were embedded.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sounds like she used Peralto brothers one lives in Montreal other in Toronto. And has place in Dominican door to door delivery
Great service shipped a 20' container loaded with new stuff for place with them also ..