Cab fare to Playa Dorada

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Just found out I need a ride from the airport. How much should a cab cost from Puerto Plata airport to Playa Dorada? I also need an idea of fares from Playa Dorada to Cabarete and from Cabarete back to the Puerto Plata airport!

I am leaving March 6 - can't wait!

GRACIAS AMIGAS Y AMIGOS! (the fruits of my $110 spanish class!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I believe that one of the local POP posters can tell you this, but let me say that I am rather surprised that the hotel where you are staying is not providing transport. It is only about a 10-15 minute ride...

And I think that the fares are written down there at the airport.

HB

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Can't complain!

I really can't complain, HB. I am a travel agent and I am not going to be paying for my accommodations. I am definitely getting the better deal.... less than 24 hours now.... I can't wait!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Cab Fares

Going to run you about 200RD from Airport to Playa Dorada, 250RD-300RD from Playa Dorada to Sosua, and a little more from Cabarete back to the Airport.

Use the tan/beige colored vans, their prices are posted and they do not (typically) negotiate on them, even for locals.

Commuting between PP and Cabarete without luggage should be done on the gua-guas and motoconchos (within any given town) as it is far more affordable. Ask about it at your hotel, or search the board for more info on these.

marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See? I told you someone would clue you in.....

As for the guaguas, they are definately the way to go, and you will have a lot of fun doing it...

sure it takes a little longer, is much cheaper, but you can really have fun doing it.. the people will be helpful with this "gringo" in their midst, and you will have a wonderful story to tell your clients..

enjoy your stay...be sure to let me know if you are going to go to santiago,,,might stand you a beer...

HB

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
USD?

Thanks, Marc. I won't have any Dominican pesos on me. How much should I expect to pay with US cash? Or should I exchange right at the airport? I find the exchange rate is usually poor at the airports. What do you reccommend?

Appreciate the help!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
USD

use 17.5 and you will be close. i.e. 20US=350RD, or 200RD=$11.50US (ish).

Don't change money at the airport. In God We Trust works fine with Taxis, and most other places on the island.

best of luck
marc

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would exchange cash at the airport for first incidentals. The taxi fee is fixed, and any shop will actually give you less or about the same rate as at the airport. Also, there will be shops that will not accept the US$. And you will have a hassle of calculating what to pay each time.

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Thanks all!

Less than 8 hours now! OH MY GOD I AM NOT DONE PACKING AND I AM GOING ON ONLY 3 HOURS SLEEP... It's gonna be a blast. Thanks to all of you for the wonderful input on this and all other posts. I promise I will be back to tell you all about it!

Hasta Luego!