Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool LONG TERM RESIDENT---NOW TRAVELING A LOT

Good day to all,

I have a couple of simple questions.
    I am 12 years now uninterrupted on the Island with my family.
    I now was able to put myself into a position where me and my family (six of us) have to travel a whole lot. Since I cover iniotially all traveling costs I can choose any airline or Hotel chain I wish.
    I never used frequent flyer miles. I assume it works because you commit yourself to one airline, correct.
    We will be traveling a lot to Asia and Europe, while the DR is our HUB for now.
    Also, regarding Hotels, which is the most recommandable Hotel Chain? What are the benefits? We treally do not need a lot of Luxury.
    Thank you for your information in advance.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hilton

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Great...Hilton is almost everywhere, but what are the benefits for using the same chain repeatedly?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potus View Post
    Great...Hilton is almost everywhere, but what are the benefits for using the same chain repeatedly?
    Hotels have loyalty programs too, free nights, upgrades, etc. Like many airlines, they also have their own sponsored credit cards.

Bear in mind that mileage accumulates per person, not family, and that most airlines are part of a larger group to earn and use miles. For example, I'm an American Airlines frequent flier, and when I flew to Europe I was able to use miles on British Airways and I think Swissair. Research to see who the partner airlines are to those who fly out of DR

Administrator
    DR1.com

5. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchase your tickets with a premium credit card that accumulates the miles that you can use on any airline. Marriott is the largest hotel chain, but if you are six, you probably will do better with airbnb.

Frequent flyer membership allows for civilized travel, giving you seat upgrades and access to VIP halls in airports. Makes all the difference. Definitely worth affiliating to. Choose depending on where you will be traveling. 

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at Star Alliance.... United , Air Canada and many others.

My Philadelphia friends flew to Toronto to get to Hong Kong.
    Good Asia flights , economical.
    Europe too.

Star Alliance will give you options.

First, you need to get credit card....AMEX is a good one... flights for all airlines.
    United's card is good too..... they all are.

Research the destination and pick the airline 

Good luck 

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

For someone in DR who plans to fly to Europe and Asia, Emirates Skywards travel, hotels, etc., awards program is well worth considering in addition to One World and Star Alliance airline membership.

Emirates is a quality airline and have code shared flights with partner Jet Blue to DR.

https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

The main thing is to collect with one or other award scheme every flight, hotel and car hire.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    For someone in DR who plans to fly to Europe and Asia, Emirates Skywards travel, hotels, etc., awards program is well worth considering in addition to One World and Star Alliance airline membership.

Emirates is a quality airline and have code shared flights with partner Jet Blue to DR.

https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

The main thing is to collect with one or other award scheme every flight, hotel and car hire.
    So, the way I understand so far is to use AMEX and EMIRATES for flights and Hilton for Hotels, correct?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Since most airlines have devalued (word??) their miles it makes it harder to use/earn them. I have a good amount of miles with AA and in the past easy to use. Now not so much unless your pretty flexible. Many airlines have gone to a "money spent vs mileage" based program. Hilton has a good points program, and they very often have discounted rates for Hilton members (actually I think most hotels offer this for their members). Hyatt is also a good chain and has a good member program. Hyatt chains in Asia are very nice...

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potus View Post
    So, the way I understand so far is to use AMEX and EMIRATES for flights and Hilton for Hotels, correct?
    I would enroll with Emirates for sure and you get awards for staying at Hilton hotels and other hotels with their program (scroll down on link and look at partners).

I would also enroll with (British Airways Executive Club or) American Airlines Frequent Flier Program to get awards on all One World partner flights and say United to get rewards on all Star Alliance flights. It will probably be worth booking with an credit card affiliated to one or other airline you use (AA is on offer here in DR with Scotiabank, Emirates suggest they have a deal with American Express). And book using a portal such as Expedia using your airline affiliated card. You can then use Expedia points earned for discounts.

I am not sure hotel programs are that good on their own. Prices always seem higher than portals and you still get points with airlines programs and portals.

I am sure there is an ideal way but I just keep totting up miles these days whereas before I was aiming at maintaining a above standard frequent flyer status. Accumulated miles keep adding up assuming you keep flying......AA has an 18 month period with no activity before they expire and they always offer ways to keep miles active.

As a good example of usage of accumulated miles, I was able to use my AA miles a couple of years back for business class flights from Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific, brilliant flight incl. HK lounge) to London then Miami and Santo Domingo (BA/AA). So mileage collection every trip is worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast