Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My dominican daughter wants to study

    We have a situation with the authorities here and I wonder if they are right.
    My daughter was born in the DR, went to Belgium when 8 years old. Had her basic school at 12 and almost finished high school in Belgium. She wants to study at a University or at least finish last year bachillerato if necesary. But No, they demand all kind of translations apostilles as if Belgium is in Afrika. In the meantime she hasnt had any schooling u till I go back to get the paperwork done .
    My question is...isthis right. She is dominican and belgian, speaks both languages fluently. 

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,895
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Contact Hillbilly he should be able to answer your questions.

  3. Likes dulce liked this post
  4. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It may be helpful to know where in the DR you are located, and also if this is a public or private school. There are several quality private schools here that follow strict policies and use American or even U.K. curricula. Regardless, they would likely request her academic record at least. As a teacher, having information about a student's background helps tremendously to determine how I can best meet their needs; be that high or low learning abilities.   If they didn't ask for this I may question the school administration.  What types of documents are they requesting besides her academic record? If her records were
     in English, they might not ask for the translation but I don't believe there are any Flemish, Dutch or German language based schools here hence that request. 

  5. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    She is 17 now and has 5 years of secondary education and would have started her last year las september. They demand her records from several years, translated a raison 1500 pesos a page, stamps from the DR consulate, apostille from the belgian ministery of education. 

  6. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    26,581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    She is 17 now and has 5 years of secondary education and would have started her last year las september. They demand her records from several years, translated a raison 1500 pesos a page, stamps from the DR consulate, apostille from the belgian ministery of education. 
    Yes and the records have to be taken to Santo Domingo and she has to be registered into the Dominican education database, given a student number...etc. We have had American kids, Spanish kids, A chinese kid....etc that all had to go through this process. Since your daughter already attended school in the DR ( I ASSUME THIS) only her records, translated and certified would be required.

  7. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's right Bob but my point is that she is Dominican not spanish or chinese

  8. #7
    I love infractions!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Yes and the records have to be taken to Santo Domingo and she has to be registered into the Dominican education database, given a student number...etc. We have had American kids, Spanish kids, A chinese kid....etc that all had to go through this process. Since your daughter already attended school in the DR ( I ASSUME THIS) only her records, translated and certified would be required.
    Senor Saunders, can you provide some insight into the Dominican education database, specifically regarding the student number you mentioned? Are all students entered into the system, and issued a number, and if so, at what age/grade do they begin doing this?

  9. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    26,581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Students are registered at age five so if a child from another country starts school in the DR they are registered into the system and given a student number. The school enters the child into the system on the computer. The student number sticks with you throughout your education, just like a Cedula. A birth certificate from a country is required to register.
    We have a girl currently in grade six that was found abandoned ( new born) by Haitians. The woman that unofficially adopted her has never gone through the process of trying to officially adopt her/ lie about her birth...etc. The girl is very smart and uses the woman's last name but until this woman finds a way to register her birth she doesn't exist in the school system. I fear for her future but it's out of my hands.

  10. #9
    I love infractions!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you for the information Senor Saunders.

  11. Dislikes HIRAM disliked this post
  12. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    We have a situation with the authorities here and I wonder if they are right.
    My daughter was born in the DR, went to Belgium when 8 years old. Had her basic school at 12 and almost finished high school in Belgium. She wants to study at a University or at least finish last year bachillerato if necesary. But No, they demand all kind of translations apostilles as if Belgium is in Afrika. In the meantime she hasnt had any schooling u till I go back to get the paperwork done .
    My question is...isthis right. She is dominican and belgian, speaks both languages fluently. 
    Yes it is right! they request all this. Not her nationality is asked here, her student history and grades. Anything what comes from outside of DR they request a translation and legalization of the consulate. All documents will be registered in SD at the Ministry of Education.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •