Cuevas del Pomier

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I read that Danilo visited these caves Sunday and later announced pledges of significant improvements, the two most outstanding being electricity to the caves and police protection.

This is excellent news.

These caves are amazing....but dark. Seems although lights were installed in the caves the local mining firms have sabotaged the equipment and stolen most wiring and fixtures. Currently a flashlight is required to explore the caves, and we give our guests one to use. Otherwise the guides have flashlights. Having low-level lighting in the caves, especially around the many stairs, would make a better experience, IMO.

However, I don't know to what extent lighting could damage the 4000+ petroglyphs in the cave. Certainly flash cameras are not allowed, but I don't know if installed lighting could cause problems.

Police protection would better insure the miners would not cause any more problems with the caves. The mining concerns want the caves shut down for the mineral deposits around them, and this should never be permitted.

Cuevas del Pomier is a true treasure of the DR. I would encourage all to make a visit to experience them for yourselves. They are located close to the La Toma water park near San Cristobel, up the hill where the Calcium Carbonate mines are.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
I just went to the caves and they are amazing. As of 27 October 2017 no improvements have been made to the caves despite the President promising many things. To bad the electrical wires were stolen, but it is definitely a worth wild trip. Many more Taino drawings than Las Cuevas de las maravillas in La Romana. 

Alex was our guide, who is a wealth of knowledge on the caves. We even got a chance to buy some Taino inspired clay status at great prices. 

My 2 cents.........