Swimming Pool Leak Detection

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our swimming pool is suddenly losing 1.5"-2" of water a day. I cannot find leaks in exposed pipes or pumps, In-pool dye tests have been negative, but that may be from 100% pilot error. The weather hasn't been hot and sunny enough for that much evaporation.

Does anyone have a referral to a pool outfit that does pool leak detection, possibly water level analysis and (hopefully) acoustic and/or ultrasonic leak detection?

I just need the leak location. We can do the repairs once positively detected.

TIA

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
ouch that's a pita...my light fixture was culprit in my leak, didn't show in dye test either ... 

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
If you've done a dye test in the pool itself, and it's negative, might I suggest you look for someone that does pipe leak detection with camera equipment. The problem then of course is how to fix it after you find it. Have you let the water sit overnight just under the skimmers in the pool to double check the dye test? That's what I'd try next.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
ouch that's a pita...my light fixture was culprit in my leak, didn't show in dye test either ... 
I didn't take the fixtures out, just tested around them, so they could still be the culprit.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If you've done a dye test in the pool itself, and it's negative, might I suggest you look for someone that does pipe leak detection with camera equipment. The problem then of course is how to fix it after you find it. Have you let the water sit overnight just under the skimmers in the pool to double check the dye test? That's what I'd try next.
Not yet, but I will.

If the leak is from the skimmers or return lines, that means busted concrete and digging. IF it's drain? That's a different story.

Yes, add leak detection with a camera to the list. Who does that in the DR?

The good news is with all the rain draining the pool is not a huge problem to refill.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I epoxied up between light and concrete with clear epoxy  worked like charm.... 

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Cobraboy how we did it after dye test was lower water to above return line water keeped going( Straw effect)  when it reached light it stoped just by lense bottom ours was leaking same as yours on water loss amount...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Let it leak until it reaches it's natural level.  Mine eventually went down to the outlet jets.  Found out one of the pipes to one of the jets was cracked.  Some serious excavation was required to get to it.  Another telltale sign was that the grass was greener where the leak was!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Not yet, but I will.

If the leak is from the skimmers or return lines, that means busted concrete and digging. IF it's drain? That's a different story.

Yes, add leak detection with a camera to the list. Who does that in the DR?

The good news is with all the rain draining the pool is not a huge problem to refill.

If it turns out to be the drain, then plug it with an internal rubber bung. Not a big deal and you might want to do that before doing the skimmer test. Before I started on breaking up concrete, I'd do the math and see how much it's going to cost in water before I started in on breaking up concrete. The only pipe camera I know of is a 1000 ft. one the engineering staff at Oceanworld has.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
After changing my pool light to LED, a leak developed.
They had ruptured the pipes...just closed it off and bought a floating light.

No more problems.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Let it leak until it reaches it's natural level.  Mine eventually went down to the outlet jets.  Found out one of the pipes to one of the jets was cracked.  Some serious excavation was required to get to it.  Another telltale sign was that the grass was greener where the leak was!
Funny you mention that because I figured that by allowing the level to drop to the point there is no further drop in water would tell me where to look.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

You don't live in the DR do you.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If it turns out to be the drain, then plug it with an internal rubber bung. Not a big deal and you might want to do that before doing the skimmer test. Before I started on breaking up concrete, I'd do the math and see how much it's going to cost in water before I started in on breaking up concrete. The only pipe camera I know of is a 1000 ft. one the engineering staff at Oceanworld has.
I just ordered three 1.5" expansion plugs for the two skimmers and main drain. That should tell me a lot.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Turn everything off.  No water should be moving at this time right?  Go to each jet or drain and put a few small blades of grass or  leaves around there.  You will most likely have some small blades of grass drawn into one or two jets, because that is where the water is draining.  Your leak will be somewhere near there, maybe in between two jets.   

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Turn everything off.  No water should be moving at this time right?  Go to each jet or drain and put a few small blades of grass or  leaves around there.  You will most likely have some small blades of grass drawn into one or two jets, because that is where the water is draining.  Your leak will be somewhere near there, maybe in between two jets.   
I did that with the dye test.