Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Swimming Pool Leak Detection

    Our swimming pool is suddenly losing 1.5"-2" of water a day. I cannot find leaks in exposed pipes or pumps, In-pool dye tests have been negative, but that may be from 100% pilot error. The weather hasn't been hot and sunny enough for that much evaporation.

    Does anyone have a referral to a pool outfit that does pool leak detection, possibly water level analysis and (hopefully) acoustic and/or ultrasonic leak detection?

    I just need the leak location. We can do the repairs once positively detected.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ouch that's a pita...my light fixture was culprit in my leak, didn't show in dye test either ... 

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you've done a dye test in the pool itself, and it's negative, might I suggest you look for someone that does pipe leak detection with camera equipment. The problem then of course is how to fix it after you find it. Have you let the water sit overnight just under the skimmers in the pool to double check the dye test? That's what I'd try next.

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    ouch that's a pita...my light fixture was culprit in my leak, didn't show in dye test either ... 
    I didn't take the fixtures out, just tested around them, so they could still be the culprit.

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    If you've done a dye test in the pool itself, and it's negative, might I suggest you look for someone that does pipe leak detection with camera equipment. The problem then of course is how to fix it after you find it. Have you let the water sit overnight just under the skimmers in the pool to double check the dye test? That's what I'd try next.
    Not yet, but I will.

    If the leak is from the skimmers or return lines, that means busted concrete and digging. IF it's drain? That's a different story.

    Yes, add leak detection with a camera to the list. Who does that in the DR?

    The good news is with all the rain draining the pool is not a huge problem to refill.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I epoxied up between light and concrete with clear epoxy  worked like charm.... 

  7. Likes cobraboy liked this post
  8. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Cobraboy how we did it after dye test was lower water to above return line water keeped going( Straw effect)  when it reached light it stoped just by lense bottom ours was leaking same as yours on water loss amount...

  9. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let it leak until it reaches it's natural level.  Mine eventually went down to the outlet jets.  Found out one of the pipes to one of the jets was cracked.  Some serious excavation was required to get to it.  Another telltale sign was that the grass was greener where the leak was!

  10. Likes cobraboy liked this post
  11. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Not yet, but I will.

    If the leak is from the skimmers or return lines, that means busted concrete and digging. IF it's drain? That's a different story.

    Yes, add leak detection with a camera to the list. Who does that in the DR?

    The good news is with all the rain draining the pool is not a huge problem to refill.
    If it turns out to be the drain, then plug it with an internal rubber bung. Not a big deal and you might want to do that before doing the skimmer test. Before I started on breaking up concrete, I'd do the math and see how much it's going to cost in water before I started in on breaking up concrete. The only pipe camera I know of is a 1000 ft. one the engineering staff at Oceanworld has.

  12. Likes cobraboy liked this post
  13. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After changing my pool light to LED, a leak developed.
    They had ruptured the pipes...just closed it off and bought a floating light.

    No more problems.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •