Guagua Fun

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had occasion to ride a guagua today..... busy times on the roads

El Breton to Nagua (buscandoing my car at the mechanic).

Uneventful start...I got a nice seat in the back of a nearly empty one.

As time passed, it filled up.
Upon entering Nagua we had 18 people, driver and friend counted.

Remember that last row?... now a bit squished but all women... one skinny too!!

I felt out the window to see if I could find a roof rack.... yup!

Yell to el chofer..... a la bomba.

Ask my fellow passenger Ayudame...
And slip out the window via the handle provided by the roof rack.

The faces on all those passengers..... the Driver's was the best..

Paid my fare
Adding 'loco Gringo...... o inteligente?'

He laughed.....and drove off

It takes a lot to shake these people 
I had a laugh doing it....

Hahahaha..... que vida!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not really that fond of those crowded guagua trips, but this was a true necessity.

I'm a bit burned out after the past few months here.... too many troubles.
Certainly ready to jump ship 

Bronxboyatheart.... cue me

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not really that fond of those crowded guagua trips, but this was a true necessity.

We are too. Can't take much more. Maybe we'll see each other again at the airport. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had some memorable guagua trips before i got the car. 27 passengers, people with giant ass birthday cakes, large furniture, buckets with live fish, hanging out on a step outside, piled up with teenage girl (that was nice), piled up on the top of large women (that was soft), squeezed and squished. fun times.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

I hear you. I can do maximum 6 months in a row and I need sanity break. Now that I'm on sanity break the forecast is for a heavy snowfall warning into tomorrow evening. Sure didn't plan this one well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i had some memorable guagua trips before i got the car. 27 passengers, people with giant ass birthday cakes, large furniture, buckets with live fish, hanging out on a step outside, piled up with teenage girl (that was nice), piled up on the top of large women (that was soft), squeezed and squished. fun times.

Now you know....slid out the side window....easy Peasy....

Skip the cakes ?????? 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have just had a bad stretch,,   Both cars in the shop.... plus a few more issues.
Normally, I'm good at sliding around this stuff... got worked over Dominican style this time.

The end is nigh...yes AE, same flight 

Don't get me wrong, I am a proponent..... nine years and nothing like this...
Frazzled....

I'll survive....

Thanks for the support 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have just had a bad stretch,,   Both cars in the shop.... plus a few more issues.
Normally, I'm good at sliding around this stuff... got worked over Dominican style this time.

The end is nigh...yes AE, same flight 

Don't get me wrong, I am a proponent..... nine years and nothing like this...
Frazzled....

I'll survive....

Thanks for the support 

We've had a bad run too. Ridiculous electricity issues several times, family issues, and maid we've had for five years got angry because we had a girl coming in on Sundays (her day off, she won't work Sunday, and that's when we usually get company) and quit; her nephew was our caretaker, and she made him quit too, for spite. She thought we'd go beg her to come back, and pay her more.

Coincidentally, we had a painter begin work the day she quit, and his assistant overheard husband on phone with brother, and asked for caretaker job. Had great references, so we hired him. So far so good. Decided not to replace maid this year, as leaving end of month, still have Sunday girl.

Ex-maid now furious with her brother because she heard he told Mr AE the caretaker we hired is hard worker, called brother a traitor, whole family not talking to each other. Drama.

Huge racimo of bananas got ripe all at once, and mangos ripening all over finca, so made 10 mango Bread/cake and 4 banana bread today. Ran out of propane with last batch.

The beach is overflowing already, we dread next few days. One guestroom filled today until Sunday, another 10 expected tomorrow. Are we having fun yet??

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
We've had a bad run too. Ridiculous electricity issues several times, family issues, and maid we've had for five years got angry because we had a girl coming in on Sundays (her day off, she won't work Sunday, and that's when we usually get company) and quit; her nephew was our caretaker, and she made him quit too, for spite. She thought we'd go beg her to come back, and pay her more.

Coincidentally, we had a painter begin work the day she quit, and his assistant overheard husband on phone with brother, and asked for caretaker job. Had great references, so we hired him. So far so good. Decided not to replace maid this year, as leaving end of month, still have Sunday girl.

Ex-maid now furious with her brother because she heard he told Mr AE the caretaker we hired is hard worker, called brother a traitor, whole family not talking to each other. Drama.

Huge racimo of bananas got ripe all at once, and mangos ripening all over finca, so made 10 mango Bread/cake and 4 banana bread today. Ran out of propane with last batch.

The beach is overflowing already, we dread next few days. One guestroom filled today until Sunday, another 10 expected tomorrow. Are we having fun yet??

What you gonna do with all that banana bread? 

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
AE and WW what a funny relief compared to some of the other ongoing threads.

OK, be honest how long will it take once you get back to civilization that you will start to miss little paradise island?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
because i cannot leave on a whim i guess i can take more than others :) or maybe i just have a good life, between baking, exercising and pets.

but won't the two of you be back real soon?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Haven't done the guagua in a long time bit must admit interesting bunch of folks on it the last time I did...lol. Love the window escape... Before I came back to the US for my surgery (bit more complicated than originally planned...ughhh) anything that could go wrong went wrong... Even though I was coming back for surgery I swear when I got on the plane I let out a big sigh of relief. Now seriously thinking of staying in the US for the summer (plus rehab won't end until the end of May). My son is in New Jersey at the university so maybe spend time on the East Coast. You know what they say about absence....maybe some time away will make me miss the craziness....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hahaha Bird.... it can be funny in the rear view mirror but you pull your eye lashes out when it's happening!!

AE, that's a great one....
your troubles make me feel good !! How bad is that to say ??
Changing staff is tricky but there are so many looking for work , availability isn't the issue, it's the trust factor.

dv8... even a raod trip can help.... weekend in Sto Dom, Samana, whatever
but changing the scenery makes a BIG difference to attitude, I find.

I go this time every year (May/June ) to open the Cdn house on Lake Huron and return for July and most of August.
Same Cdn trip for the fall.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Keepcoming,
yes... that's the irony -
oftentimes feels good to leave but always feels good to arrive.

I can't really complain, normally I can overcome the issues quickly and easily - lost a couple of battles this time but am still winning the war !! I hope