2003 PanAm Games!

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
In the March 4th DR1, I read about the 2003 PanAm games new organization "heads" and then read the article below about the athletes.

I believe the comment stating: " The Dominican Olympic Committee has been counting on medals to be won by Dominican athletes trained abroad, such as Felix Sanchez in the 400 meter hurdles." While I applaud Felix's accomplishments, it is unfair to the local athletes that ARE working so hard here in the DR to be able to be prepared and to compete.

It seems there has NOT been much support nor money given to any of the athletic organizations within the DR. I know for a fact that their are athletes that are in the Equestrian field that are working tremendously hard to be able to represent their country in these games. The DR has NEVER been represented in any equestrian event in the PanAm Games. This is something the people that compete in Equestrian events are ready to do....respresent and medal for their country!

I can give this message board an example of athletes that have exceeded WITHOUT being trained abroad. Why isn't the Dominican Olympic Committee helping to support and counting on these athletes as well?

In 2001 there was an FEI World Jumping Challenge that is performed all over the world, the same course is built and riders from 66 countries compete, in total, there were 435 competitors! The results are tallied and a final result list is published in Feb 2002 on the official FEI website. (to see for yourself: http://www.horsesport.org/
..then go to results, click on FEI World Jumping Challenge, it's towards the bottom, you have to have Adobe to view them) The top 16 competitors are eligible and invited to compete in Germany in July 2002. One of our riders, Hector Florentino is ranked 4th in this competition, therefore eligible to compete in Germany in July. Gabriella Porrello and Juan Jose Bancalari also placed very high, 120 & 121 respectively. It's doubtful that Mr. Florentino will compete in Germany, unless he is able to raise the money for his trip! He is in the process of trying to find sponsors to help fund his trip.

There was never any mention in any of the local papers about this distinguished accomplishment by our local riders. Why is that? How can we expect our athletes to have the desire to compete when they aren't helped financially by their local organizations and given the credit they deserve for their accomplishments?

I applaud any athlete that has been given the opportunity to excel in their field. Let's just not FOGET the ones that are doing it here at home!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well Lynn, one of the reasons is that the equestrian set are among the wealthiest people in the Dr and the Olympic Committee is not about to give them any money if they can help it. While it is encouraging to see someone ranked so high, the Hach?s and the Bancalari's of the Equestrian Federation can write that check real easy, can't they?//

Shoot, the Olympic committee doesn't give any money to any of the kids that are really working hard, much less those that sit on horses....

Unfortunately, the only medal winners in these games-if they are held here- will be those exceptional young people that were either raised in the States and trained there, or that were born to Mami and Papi and could afford the food and training or were entered into the Armed Forces and have been on the public payroll for years, like Rahdames Lora,Wanda Rijo and others.

The DR will not win anything in most sports, and only in certain individual events like Judo, Boxing, Weightlifting and Felix Sanchez and that girl high jumper are there any hopes for medals.
If you read Vicbart's comments he said that he is afraid that after the first eliminations (which he is supposing will eliminate the home team) the fans will not attend the games...And I think he is right.

Been there and done that!!

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don,t "Bet" on it!

I doubt that the 2003 Pan-Am games will be held in the DR!I think that the organizing committee has had just about enough of the typical "Dominican Style" preparations;"Steal all you can today,tomorrow the money will be gone"! Once all the money is gone the dominicans will,or have, stopped getting ready for the games. To bad,but who is "surprised"?Who said;"Some things neve change?"Must have been a dominican!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Tragic...

...but I can already picture half finished venues with rebar sticking out the tops of unfinished walls, in a national park, with some general driving by in his jeepeta, smoking a fat cigar and a load of cash in the back.

The trouble is....can they even consider changing the venue on this short of notice?

Personally, I do not see anything wrong with people that train abroad that return to represent their country (assuming they are competing as Dominicans...?). I think it is inspiring that they picked up and made a change for themselves that allows them more opportunity than if they just stayed here playing dominoes on the side of the highway in a plastic lawn chair with their pals.

Then again maybe the ones you are talking about are not representing la Republica? Not sure.

marc

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Oh my

Marc

After my comments of you only posting to cause discontent, I now must ask a question: Were not the Pan Am Games a done deal?

Janice

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Re: Oh my

Janice said:
Marc

After my comments of you only posting to cause discontent, I now must ask a question: Were not the Pan Am Games a done deal?

Janice

hey J. I don't understand your question.

marc