Carnapping...

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Just heard about what could become the latest bandito craze in DR.
Has anyone else heard about this?
A guy has stolen someone's car, and gained access to the owner's phone number/Whatsapp number. They are sending the owner voice WA messages with very serious physical threats and ransom demands. My second question; can the DR authorities gain access to the identity of the bandito and if so, would they try to apprehend him?
This is both bizarre and very scary.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Just heard about what could become the latest bandito craze in DR.
Has anyone else heard about this?
A guy has stolen someone's car, and gained access to the owner's phone number/Whatsapp number. They are sending the owner voice WA messages with very serious physical threats and ransom demands. My second question; can the DR authorities gain access to the identity of the bandito and if so, would they try to apprehend him?
This is both bizarre and very scary.

Anything is possible but maybe you have been watching too many Bruce Willis movies lately? Seriously, that is why I would not own a new, expensive car in the DR. You are just making yourself a target.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Anything is possible but maybe you have been watching too many Bruce Willis movies lately? Seriously, that is why I would not own a new, expensive car in the DR. You are just making yourself a target.
CLARO!!!!!!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have a serie of voice messages of a carnapper dealing with his victim and threatening him. Actually kind of hilarious if it wouldn't be infuriating. Let me see if I can upload them here. 

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They not only gave phone numbers, but bank account number as well for the deposit.

They were apprehended yesterday. A group of 7 men. Takes Darwin to a whole new level.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I heard the recording. The only way it could work is if the thief himself is a policeman or has the protection of someone untouchable.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
What are they threatening to do , Drain all the Oil out of the Engine and let you hear them Rev the Engine til she throws a connecting Rod ? Savages.. all of them.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What are they threatening to do , Drain all the Oil out of the Engine and let you hear them Rev the Engine til she throws a connecting Rod ? Savages.. all of them.

No, in the voice message he claims to know who you are and where you live. If you use a friend at the police or wherever you'll have an enemy, he says. He says: I'm a thief , but I'm serious. Besides, he says 'you' don't know if I'm paying a commission to someone at the police or military who protects me. 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
No, in the voice message he claims to know who you are and where you live. If you use a friend at the police or wherever you'll have an enemy, he says. He says: I'm a thief , but I'm serious. Besides, he says 'you' don't know if I'm paying a commission to someone at the police or military who protects me. 

I would simply respond with
" And you Mr Thief don't know how to disarm the Explosive Device I have hidden in that car, much less when & how I choose to set it off .. Good luck and hope your Life insurance is up to date .. but for a small reward you can return the car , and we can forget all about this incident "

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Exactly like that I pictured that moron in my mind. You know, that extraordinary smart expression of that guy etc. ... :bunny: Well, now he got another ride. :D

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I thought this was about napping in the car while the wife is on a credit card shopping frenzy. A/c on freeze.