Where to buy grass seed for lawn

Stog

Apr 14, 2017
Can anyone recommend where I can buy grass seed?

Have lived near Puerto Plata for years, always buying new turf for our gardens, but am totally disillusioned by the poor quality turf, and the general laying of it.

My garden is huge so seed would also make more economical sense.

A couple of years back I called a few plant nurseries in the capital as well as some hardware stores. It would appear that the nurseries/viveros have clubbed together to not sell grass seed in order to get customers to buy the more expensive turf.

I'd be very grateful for comments.

Stog

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Stog
I used to Work in landscaping here.  The problem with grass seeding is the weeds.  To obtain a even carpet you will need allot of time, a dedicated deweeder and alot of herbicides.  You are wasting your money with seeds. This is the tropics where everything grows like crazy. Turfing is the only way. If you have a large area than Grama Dulce as its known is your best option.  i can recommend you someone who can give you the best solutions and prices to what you need.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Playa Grande golf course is replacing their grass..... about 50A of grass.

They have good grass for sale

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
From those I have spoken to in the landscaping business here, grass seed is a rarity. Apparently, seed doesn't do very well for the conditions. Difficult to sprout, requires lots of water, ideally should be covered with topsoil after application, grows slower than the weeds so has to compete for space - newly sprouted seeds don't like herbicides.

The general consensus seems to be sod if one wishes to have a chance a good uniform coverage in just one application. Seed might be ok for spot treatments in an established lawn, but then you will have spots where the grass is different.

Resist using NA grass varieties here, most varieties don't do well in the is climate, soil. A deep rooting grass variety stands a decent chance of surviving hot dry conditions but only after it is well established. You should have noticed by now that DR grass doesn't grow as fast as the stuff back home - better for me cuz I dislike cutting the grass now.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Hi Mr Stog
The problem in Puerto Plata and nearby areas is that there is not good soil, niether good quality grass.
Being for over 20 years in the landscape business I do not recommend to plant seed here.
to have a good turf, you will need to improve the quality of the soil with organic nutrients and the grass must be neccesarily carry from Santo Domingo.
I do a lot of work in the north cosat and always carry my own grass. unfortunately there is not much options.