Colonoscopy in PP

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Anyone with a good recommendation on who to use for a colonoscopy in Puerto Plata. If they spoke some English that would be good as well. I am way overdue
Thanks
Bob K

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Oh god.......

A five foot long winding camera up ones azz...

is never a good thing...(But totally necessary preventative maintenance)

I've had 3 of them.....

Wish I could help you with the original question though......

Good luck......

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It's me I do the send away fecal sample for now and wait until I am back in the real world for the actual test. Unless you want to save a buck. Doctors at HOMS hospital are good and equipment is modern. It's in Santiago on the main highway

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's me I do the send away fecal sample for now and wait until I am back in the real world for the actual test. Unless you want to save a buck. Doctors at HOMS hospital are good and equipment is modern. It's in Santiago on the main highway

For some of us, this is our "real world". It has been mine for 15 years. Remember that Universal Health Care is not available in the USA where BobK and I are from and even if it were, it would probably not be allowed for those who don't spend the better part of each year there to use it, as in the way Canada does that.

So, recommendations are frequently needed for trusted Doctors in the DR.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Can't remember his last name, but Dr. Mohamed ..... at Bournegal did it for me and I am still alive... jajajaja He speaks English perfectly. His office hours are usually at about 3 to 6 pm. He also did an endoscopy well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we have a poster here who knows.... he may chime in.

I too get them in NoAmerica.... but here works too.... I'm told

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Test is colo-guard and is doctor ordered. Sample is shipped away for study. Accurate at detecting cancers. Good luck

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I've had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at Centro Medico (Bournigal) with Dr. Reinaldo Portorreal. He speaks English very well. His phone is 809-588-4363. Call after 4 pm and ask his secretary for the first appointment on a following afternoon. He will also respond to email if he knows you or you could use me as a reference. renaldoport@codetel.net.do - my full name is Judy Palmer. I don't see him very often any more but he was very helpful in trying to locate a blood leak in my digestive system. Turns out that wasn't the problem afterall but he was very thorough in working with me to identify the problem. PM me if you need more info.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I had colonoscopy at bournigal POP couple years ago.  It was easy, liked it better than first one done in USA.  Three pretty nurses smiling and giggling before one takes the gas mask and says adios and I'm out.  Minutes later she's shaking me saying ya! Se terminó, despiertas!  Got a 24 minute CD filmed the whole thing.  Don't remember doctors name but he did well, no problems, clean as a whistle 

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I had colonoscopy at bournigal POP couple years ago.  It was easy, liked it better than first one done in USA.  Three pretty nurses smiling and giggling before one takes the gas mask and says adios and I'm out.  Minutes later she's shaking me saying ya! Se terminó, despiertas!  Got a 24 minute CD filmed the whole thing.  Don't remember doctors name but he did well, no problems, clean as a whistle 

24 minute CD.....

Interesting....

They took a video of my ACL reconstruction......(In the States)

(I'm guessing liability purposes, or educational )

So..

Ya...

I guess that makes sense....

Wow!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The very best guy in the whole area is Chancho Estrella at the Unión Médica in Santiago. He did mine (a week or so after Grahame passed away--it was that shocking!)..Dr. Estrella has fine English. It is modern, with photos.

The only down side is that he is an extremely busy guy and you need to get there at like dawn and sign in. AND he likes it that you have your bladder full.

I am happy to have had it done, as well as some blood work--a PSA test (0.36 thank you!!!)...and am at rest.

Do get it done.

HB

I can add that there is a nice cafeteria there that makes waiting easier.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Thank you all for your input.

HB I am going to try PP first as getting to Santiago these days with the terrific well maintained roads is a pain in the azz and a cafeteria does me no good as for the procedure your are not supposed eat anything,
If not happy with the doc here I will be going to Santiago.

Bob K

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Judydr I am going to contact your doc and try to seen him next week
Thank you

Bob K

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

"Gas mask" ..wow.. that's exactly why I got my colonoscopy and get my medical attention in the U.S

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One of my favorite memories is that little siesta one gets with the colonoscopy...

Just a blissful snooze.... I hate to be awakened 

Every ten years,,, not enough suenos 

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
One of my favorite memories is that little siesta one gets with the colonoscopy...

Yes "propofol" is good stuff. It's given through an iv. However you need a Doctor who knows how to administer it. It killed Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

I had one two summers ago in the US. Never had that little nap, and as a result felt enough to know that the test was not one bit comfortable.

It was in a teaching hospital and I wondered if perhaps the female gastroenterologist who was ostensibly my doctor was unhappy with my objection to having a male resident actually perform the test.