Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guachi ?? Please explain

I don't know if this belongs in the off topic thread, but since it is not meant to be informative thread, just asking for opinions.

Guachi ???

I have to admit, the use of them in DR puzzles the heck out of me. Let me explain, I have been going to LT for quite some time, often renting back the same villas/apt and I just don't get how they could make someone feel safer. Actually, it is becoming the opposite for me.

I was just in DR during Semana Santa, was there in December as well, same villa, different guachis. I find the turnover to be high, the new one explained that they changed company. Isn't that a lot of people to know the ins and outs of your complex ?

Another example, in December, the guachi was sick and had his friend replaced him, both Haitians, I am sure no one else in the complex noticed it but me . I didn't ask but, not sure was a guatchi or even in the same company, I think it was his friend ! Uniform, dark skin, they looked the same (not to my morenita self though ).

I have stayed in another apt complex a couple of years ago, I have been locked out more than once for at least 15-30 minutes after going out ....because the guachi was sleeping deeply ! They only seem to make rounds when resident see them, but since I am late sleeper on vacations, they tend to fall asleep before me

I just don't get it. I may be missing something or may be paranoid, but if I were a long term resident, I would NEVER use one (especially in a stand alone villa !).

The funny thing, In December, ladrones came in the gated villas were I stayed and hit the 2 villas next to mine, they were smart enough to come during the day when there was no guachi !!
    Last edited by Africaida; 04-21-2017 at 11:03 AM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Moved to Living. 

(I agree. I'd rather have dogs)

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine left her apartment recently but forgot something and had to return sooner than expected. She found the watchie inside her apartment just starting to help himself to her things. At least he wasn't sleeping on the job!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand, at my apartments we have a watchie who has been working there since the block was built about twenty years ago. On his nights off his son works, so all the residents fully trust them. However, the father is often found asleep, but when I suggested replacing him with cameras etc, which never sleep, all the residents rejected the idea.

5. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    On the other hand, at my apartments we have a watchie who has been working there since the block was built about twenty years ago. On his nights off his son works, so all the residents fully trust them. However, the father is often found asleep, but when I suggested replacing him with cameras etc, which never sleep, all the residents rejected the idea.
    That I can understand. In my family back in West Africa, we have been in the same case we have guachis (spelling ?) with our family for a long time. Often, they live on the premises with their family and often my family will take care of the kids schooling fees or such.

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend has Guinea Hens and geese in his years. Not the best place to walk barefoot, but no intruder goes unnoticed!!.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

8. Likes jinty05, JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican view is one person is just as good as another. As long as their is a warm body in the position then the job is filled. Quality is not considered. I will take a couple of dogs any day. I have two. One sleeps in front of the house and the other takes the back. They did it on their own. Both take the watch job seriously but no needless all night barking. Got to admit I am a lifelong dog lover, people are ok, too.

10. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    A good friend has Guinea Hens and geese in his years. Not the best place to walk barefoot, but no intruder goes unnoticed!!.

HB
    Do they actually "bark" (no idea what the word would be) when a stranger comes in ?

I think I prefer dogs better, plus I wouldn't be tempted to eat them

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When I lived there for about a year.....

I lived in a gated community.......

I came into to my home, and the watchman was pouring himself a cup of coffee......

Never once looked at me...

Went to the living room and sat down....(Put his legs up) and started watching TV....(My girlfriend was there doing dishes...

(Like...ho hum...)

I'm like staring in disbelief......like WTF!

Needless to say I showed him the door, and told him in so many words to take his break somewhere else......

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

.....I hope she became an ex-girlfriend.

14. Likes Africaida, southern, Jaime809 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast