Guachi ?? Please explain

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't know if this belongs in the off topic thread, but since it is not meant to be informative thread, just asking for opinions.

Guachi ???

I have to admit, the use of them in DR puzzles the heck out of me. Let me explain, I have been going to LT for quite some time, often renting back the same villas/apt and I just don't get how they could make someone feel safer. Actually, it is becoming the opposite for me.

I was just in DR during Semana Santa, was there in December as well, same villa, different guachis. I find the turnover to be high, the new one explained that they changed company. Isn't that a lot of people to know the ins and outs of your complex ?

Another example, in December, the guachi was sick and had his friend replaced him, both Haitians, I am sure no one else in the complex noticed it but me :D. I didn't ask but, not sure was a guatchi or even in the same company, I think it was his friend ! Uniform, dark skin, they looked the same (not to my morenita self though ;) ).

I have stayed in another apt complex a couple of years ago, I have been locked out :mad: more than once for at least 15-30 minutes after going out ....because the guachi was sleeping deeply ! They only seem to make rounds when resident see them, but since I am late sleeper on vacations, they tend to fall asleep before me :paranoid:

I just don't get it. I may be missing something or may be paranoid, but if I were a long term resident, I would NEVER use one (especially in a stand alone villa !).

The funny thing, In December, ladrones came in the gated villas were I stayed and hit the 2 villas next to mine, they were smart enough to come during the day when there was no guachi !!

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A friend of mine left her apartment recently but forgot something and had to return sooner than expected. She found the watchie inside her apartment just starting to help himself to her things. At least he wasn't sleeping on the job!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
On the other hand, at my apartments we have a watchie who has been working there since the block was built about twenty years ago. On his nights off his son works, so all the residents fully trust them. However, the father is often found asleep, but when I suggested replacing him with cameras etc, which never sleep, all the residents rejected the idea.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
On the other hand, at my apartments we have a watchie who has been working there since the block was built about twenty years ago. On his nights off his son works, so all the residents fully trust them. However, the father is often found asleep, but when I suggested replacing him with cameras etc, which never sleep, all the residents rejected the idea.

That I can understand. In my family back in West Africa, we have been in the same case we have guachis (spelling ?) with our family for a long time. Often, they live on the premises with their family and often my family will take care of the kids schooling fees or such.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A good friend has Guinea Hens and geese in his years. Not the best place to walk barefoot, but no intruder goes unnoticed!!.

HB

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominican view is one person is just as good as another. As long as their is a warm body in the position then the job is filled. Quality is not considered. I will take a couple of dogs any day. I have two. One sleeps in front of the house and the other takes the back. They did it on their own. Both take the watch job seriously but no needless all night barking. Got to admit I am a lifelong dog lover, people are ok, too.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A good friend has Guinea Hens and geese in his years. Not the best place to walk barefoot, but no intruder goes unnoticed!!.

HB

Do they actually "bark" (no idea what the word would be) when a stranger comes in ?

I think I prefer dogs better, plus I wouldn't be tempted to eat them :)

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
When I lived there for about a year.....

I lived in a gated community.......

I came into to my home, and the watchman was pouring himself a cup of coffee......

Never once looked at me...

Went to the living room and sat down....(Put his legs up) and started watching TV....(My girlfriend was there doing dishes...

(Like...ho hum...)

I'm like staring in disbelief......like WTF!

Needless to say I showed him the door, and told him in so many words to take his break somewhere else......

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
.....I hope she became an ex-girlfriend.

Yes.....

She became an ex......

Not because of that though...

I now have 2 new ones......That both love each other.....and me!

Whether it's real or not......

I'm gonna ride it out for as long as I can....

I'm happy!

(Carry on....back on topic)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
HB.... re Geese 

They are excellent watchmen ,,, and can be fierce!
Squawking and flapping their wings... which they will swing at you , I'm told.

My mother was a farm girl of sorts.
She told me the goose story.

Her other one was being chased by a mother pig...
Very fierce when they have piglets.... even if it's a runt!!

Haha

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Frica,
Having dogs, I hate Watchy changes and don't do it.
Two share the nights. One constant is too much any Watchy...

Have fired too many sleepers...one actually went to bed before I did!!

The dogs alert me if they are left alone...
Caought another one who used to bugger off for a couple of hours... like 3 to 5.
Another stretched out on top of the ?????? car 

It's a life in RD

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes.....

She became an ex......

Not because of that though...

I now have 2 new ones......That both love each other.....and me!

Whether it's real or not......

I'm gonna ride it out for as long as I can....

I'm happy!

(Carry on....back on topic)

....yes my solution also.....mi live in girl frens, do an excellent job.....neighbors on all sides have the dogs I have the chicas.......Doc..........

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Frica,
Having dogs, I hate Watchy changes and don't do it.
Two share the nights. One constant is too much any Watchy...

Have fired too many sleepers...one actually went to bed before I did!!

The dogs alert me if they are left alone...
Caought another one who used to bugger off for a couple of hours... like 3 to 5.
Another stretched out on top of the ������ car 

It's a life in RD

That s also how I realized the other watchy had his friend cover for him, our chihuahua (not mine, actually my friend's) started to bark at him, which he never does. I was never a small dog person, but I have a new found respect for chihuahua since then :D

Oh, the most recent one, spend all his little awake time on his smartphone.

I felt so safe, lol

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Agreed, watchmen serve 0 purpose..... aside from the "feel-good" sentiment ( that is if having a stranger sitting outside your house makes you feel good....lol ).

And trust ? Dont make me laugh.... a trusty watchman is one that doesnt invite his friends to empty out your whole house when you are not there.....
Anybody seriously think a total stranger is going to repel an armed intruder ( or a bunch of them ) for 10k pesos a month ? And futhermore to protect gringos ?? ....... lol contact me for a bridge I have up for sale. ;) ;)

Cameras dont serve any purpose either. Automatic lights, usless. Nobody is going to come and help you here.... get real.

Dogs, a bunch of them. The bigger and the more vicious, the better. The pack on the outside, and one of the dogs inside the house, with you.
Enough protection, ie high walls, gates, bars on windows/doors, that the intruders have to make a rukus to get in the " compound".
Then the dogs will raise hell. And you can pick the intruders off, one by one, from the safety of your house.

Also, contrary to most houses, leave a space, a LARGE space between the metal bars and your front door.
Also, for big houses, try and have another metal bar obstacle in the corridor leading to your bedroom.
And obviously keep a gun, or 2 in your bedroom...... no 911 here in paradise.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm probably one of those people who'd sleep through house invasion. even alarm going off multiple times at night does not wake me up. i highly recommend miesposo, tho, alert like a dragonfly ;) plus dogs and even cats, who react to any unusual noise outside.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Agreed, watchmen serve 0 purpose..... aside from the "feel-good" sentiment ( that is if having a stranger sitting outside your house makes you feel good....lol ).

And trust ? Dont make me laugh.... a trusty watchman is one that doesnt invite his friends to empty out your whole house when you are not there.....
Anybody seriously think a total stranger is going to repel an armed intruder ( or a bunch of them ) for 10k pesos a month ? And futhermore to protect gringos ?? ....... lol contact me for a bridge I have up for sale. ;) ;)

Cameras dont serve any purpose either. Automatic lights, usless. Nobody is going to come and help you here.... get real.

Dogs, a bunch of them. The bigger and the more vicious, the better. The pack on the outside, and one of the dogs inside the house, with you.
Enough protection, ie high walls, gates, bars on windows/doors, that the intruders have to make a rukus to get in the " compound".
Then the dogs will raise hell. And you can pick the intruders off, one by one, from the safety of your house.

Also, contrary to most houses, leave a space, a LARGE space between the metal bars and your front door.
Also, for big houses, try and have another metal bar obstacle in the corridor leading to your bedroom.
And obviously keep a gun, or 2 in your bedroom...... no 911 here in paradise.
Oh boy, Houston. We've got another person that duck, rolls, and comes up shooting. I wonder if they include testimonials as such in vacation or retirement brochures.