flying my dog

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Want to bring down my dog and since I go via Miami I have to go American Airlines. They have a ton of restrictions. I am ok with most but there is a temperature limit of 85 degrees forecast for embarkation, stops, and destination. How do I get to the DR via Miami without running into temps at end of May? Anyone have any experience with AA and the temp regulations. How strict are they? Other than flying into Santiago in the middle of the night its pretty hard to stay under 85 degrees. Appreciate any ideas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never seen them using the temperature rule... but it was years ago.

I took an early flight out of Miami....
It seems the boarding temperature is the key.

Dog flying is getting harder with all Airlines 
R

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
How big is your dog? I've seen many more making the trip in the normal cabin with their owners than in years before. Seems like every flight now has 3 or 4. I don't know how they pass security, or the regulations. This is with Jet Blue.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
dogs-by-drone-video-HERO1.jpg

This thread isn't as exciting as the title suggests!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
San Pedro 
They call them service dogs..... emotional support companion 

I had a St Bernard on a flight....
It begged food, talked to people... had it's own boarding pass 

No service dog.... way too amiable 

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
All airlines follow those  temp rules now..summer time is at your own risk.plus blackout day in peak busy times no animals..( after being spotlight yrs ago in media of dead animals arriving) ..they also limit how many pets in cabin and cargo most airlines limit to 3.. 

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I wouldn't trust AA with my dog. They don't care about the passengers so think about how they would treat your dog.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I despise A.A. but there is no other out of mami. Worst part for me with American is the filthy old planes. Anyone been turned down fling dog as cargo? Too big to go under the sear. It's 9 inches in height and growing.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I flew with my dog AA no temp issues were asked at check in from NC thru Miami to PP

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
He's 3 months old 16#, growing like a weed. Put on 8 pounds month. Flying in May. Unless I stop feeding him he will never fit under the seat maybe if I run over him with a steamroller. It's a yellow lab. I was hoping he would be on the small side. Thanks for the input. I can get him on at under 85 degrees so we will see. Thanks

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
San Pedro 
They call them service dogs..... emotional support companion 

I had a St Bernard on a flight....
It begged food, talked to people... had it's own boarding pass 

No service dog.... way too amiable 

I looked up the rules on getting a dog registered as a service dog and it seems that you can get a certificate online just by declaring the dog as such.
No rules have been formalized according to the site I saw.
So check it out online and write up your service dog certificate and run with that.
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not helpful, I know, but I can't resist.

Nowadays with strollers and steamer trunk sized carry-on being brought aboard by some passengers, just put your buddy in the overhead bin and call him/her a warm blooded food transportation container.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I looked up the rules on getting a dog registered as a service dog and it seems that you can get a certificate online just by declaring the dog as such.
No rules have been formalized according to the site I saw.
So check it out online and write up your service dog certificate and run with that.
Der Fish

Fishy,
That doesn't surprise me....

Airlines that even allow checked dogs any more are rare.
I have a Vermont friend who drives to Montreal to use WestJet to RD.....just to do the dog.

I gave up dragging them with years ago...
Once in a while i'll bring a new one - puppy sized- down.
But my puppies are big, the last one was in the crate and was over the 100lb limit but I wasn't called on it.

UAL has a dog program but the dog costs more than the passenger - EWR to POP, last time I checked

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Try to fly the dog as soon as possible before the temperature increases for summer. The only airlines that I have experience with are Canadian airlines. Not sure about AA and their policies. Try calling their customer service for more info.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
does anyone have any experience flying a dog with jetblue ?......the "service dog" seems to be an easy way of doing it
I have a german shepherd about 100lb ...but have never seen a large dog in the cabin and I was warned by an air hostess never to put a dog into the hold

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try to fly the dog as soon as possible before the temperature increases for summer. The only airlines that I have experience with are Canadian airlines. Not sure about AA and their policies. Try calling their customer service for more info.

WestJet, has rules....
No dogs before November 1 or after May 1 , I think
And a moratorium over the holidays.... December 15 to January something 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
does anyone have any experience flying a dog with jetblue ?......the "service dog" seems to be an easy way of doing it
I have a german shepherd about 100lb ...but have never seen a large dog in the cabin and I was warned by an air hostess never to put a dog into the hold

I disagree with your hostess.... nothing but good results in the hold.
Air conditioned, pressurized, last in first out.... all good 

A tip I got was to freeze the water in the cage dish....lasts longer.
I still had water after driving 2.5 hours , checking in and flying to DR, another 4 hours.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My worry is that I get out of Houston fine in the am when it's cooler then get stuck in Miami with the dog not allowed to fly. Sticking me in the airport. Time to call the airline. I have talked to the AA "dog expert who crafts these rules and I was hoping to never talk to her again.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

I fly Jet Blue all the time, and it's for this that I commented that I've seen a surge in the number of people traveling with pets in the last year or two. Yes, they tend to be on the smaller side, but on average the flight may have seven or eight, in carriers. There are none sitting in a seat, or walking up and down the aisles. LOL. This link is from the Jet Blue site and has some information regarding travel with the smaller pets, regarding fees and regs.
There's a phone number provided for further info, maybe they can be of assistance with your Shepherd.
https://www.jetblue.com/travel/pets/