Crime in the DR

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
I am about to retire in November and I had worked in the DR 2011 to 2014 and wanted to try to retire there. My former Dominican colleagues tell me I should not move there as the crime is worse then when I was there and getting worse. I understand lots of guys on motorcycles are robbing people. Just would like some expat or Dominican that's living there to give their take please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I am about to retire in November and I had worked in the DR 2011 to 2014 and wanted to try to retire there. My former Dominican colleagues tell me I should not move there as the crime is worse then when I was there and getting worse. I understand lots of guys on motorcycles are robbing people. Just would like some expat or Dominican that's living there to give their take please

This is what I have been hearing here as well, that crime has worsened over the last 5 years.

I haven't seen this increase first hand, where I live in AH-SD, but it certainly does appear to be the case.

Mostly, due to the massive influx of immigrants from Colombia and Venezuela, but there is rising crime in the local population of Dominicans as well.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is all relative.

Yes, there has been an uptick of crime outside the poorer barrios in Santo Domingo for example and there has been a reaction and we now have military along with NP on the streets. Hasn't changed anything for me in my daily travels and I exercise the same usual cautions and awareness that I did before.

Life goes on and it doesn't seem to affect many foreigners in Santo Domingo at least.

Have you ever considered the question has security got any better or worse in Europe or North America during the same period? Fact is the world is a more unsafe place everywhere these days for various reasons. Find me another Caribbean country that can be defined as safe everywhere? Or indeed one of the touted retirement country destinations.

Choose with care where you retire in DR and enjoy this most diverse and beautiful country to the full in the years to come.

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
This is what I have been hearing here as well, that crime has worsened over the last 5 years.

I haven't seen this increase first hand, where I live in AH-SD, but it certainly does appear to be the case.

Mostly, due to the massive influx of immigrants from Colombia and Venezuela, but there is rising crime in the local population of Dominicans as well.

Where is AH-SD?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

You can't blame the rising crime rate in DR over the last 10 years on immigrants from Colombia and Venezuela. Look harder at Dominicans returning home, or should I say, being repatriated by the USA and European countries, following their prison sentences.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
You can't blame the rising crime rate in DR over the last 10 years on immigrants from Colombia and Venezuela. Look harder at Dominicans returning home, or should I say, being repatriated by the USA and European countries, following their prison sentences.

The people that I have met from both Colombia and Venezuela at the local malls here have all seemed like decent people.

However, certainly there have been some individuals coming from those countries that have increased the level of crime in DR, but I do get your point about the returning Dominicans as this is true as well.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Don't worry about crime it goes in waves like anywhere.. worry about getting in accident and having medical insurance to cover it...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Crime in the DR ?

April 21, 2017

Woke up to a commotion in the street out front at 2:23 am.
Ignored it for a couple minutes, thinking it was the neighbor´s kid getting in late as usual.
As it continued for a couple minutes, decided to turn on the security monitor and take a look.

Caught the last minute or so of a car driver being robbed by 3 ladrone.
No time to do anything about it, it was the tail end of the robbery.

Excellent video of two of the ladrone, but the driver left before I could make contact.

Crime in the DR ?

April 22, 2017

At 2:11 am the sound of a loud gun shot that even had the wife asking "What happened?".
This time I was already up.

Security cameras showed no activity in the area after the sound.
Replay showed nothing either, just the recorded sound.

Crime in the DR ?

April 23, 2017

What to expect around 2:00 am in the morning?
Where´s that bag of popcorn?

In years past, the ladrone kinda had a schedule so to speak.
It was usually around 2-3 am that they would be walking around the neighborhood.

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
Crime in the DR ?

April 21, 2017

Woke up to a commotion in the street out front at 2:23 am.
Ignored it for a couple minutes, thinking it was the neighbor´s kid getting in late as usual.
As it continued for a couple minutes, decided to turn on the security monitor and take a look.

Caught the last minute or so of a car driver being robbed by 3 ladrone.
No time to do anything about it, it was the tail end of the robbery.

Excellent video of two of the ladrone, but the driver left before I could make contact.

Crime in the DR ?

April 22, 2017

At 2:11 am the sound of a loud gun shot that even had the wife asking "What happened?".
This time I was already up.

Security cameras showed no activity in the area after the sound.
Replay showed nothing either, just the recorded sound.

Crime in the DR ?

April 23, 2017

What to expect around 2:00 am in the morning?
Where´s that bag of popcorn?

In years past, the ladrone kinda had a schedule so to speak.
It was usually around 2-3 am that they would be walking around the neighborhood.

Wow! Gripping yet scarey

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Using common sense and street smarts (assuming you possess them) will keep you as safe as anywhere else. The world can be a dangerous place. I read recently that some immigrant Somalis in Sweden wanted to go back to Somalia because it was safer than some ghettos is some Swedish cities (of course in my opinion this is the fault of the Swedish Gov.).

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Using common sense and street smarts (assuming you possess them) will keep you as safe as anywhere else. The world can be a dangerous place. I read recently that some immigrant Somalis in Sweden wanted to go back to Somalia because it was safer than some ghettos is some Swedish cities (of course in my opinion this is the fault of the Swedish Gov.).

I have family who live in the capital. They tell me that there is crime but sometimes the news exaggerate a lot. Avoid bad places and don't pull out money or phone on the streets. Not sure how true this is but my cousin tells me that people that usually get robbed are the one that use public transportation or the one that walks around , get lost etc.

I used to go there every year and used to go out at night and never was robbed. Of course, I was not wearing jewels or flashing money. There is more crime in the capital but you may find safer place on the country side. Of course, you won't have all the convenience u have in the capital

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Honestly im more afraid of a traffic accident. Driving and the lack of traffic lights are just insane here. Although I can be robbed tomorrow, I believe just like in America, crime is mostly centered in certain bad neighborhoods. Stay away from those areas and youre going to be much safer.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've lived here on the North Coast for 10 years. Really can't say I've noticed any increase in crime here. I've read about the new trend in "drive by robberies" by two two guys on a moto. Mostly in Sto. Dom and Santiago, but these kinds of things tend to make the news - doesn't necessarily represent an increase in overall crime.