US Passport Services Available - Puerto Plata

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Today, tomorrow, and Wednesday (April 24-26) passport applications and renewals are being processed at the US consular agency in Puerto Plata from 9am to 11am.

I needed to submit a renewal application. I was in and out of the office in 20 minutes. I was told delivery in approx 3 weeks.

What you need for renewal is
1. Completed DS-82 form filled in online and printed.
2. 2 passport fotos 2"x2"
3. Original passport and copy of photo page
4. An original ID and photocopy (cédula was accepted)
5. $110 passport fee
6. $16 delivery fee

https://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/mobile/passports-e.html has full information including links to forms and contact information for the consular office.

Saved me a day to/from the capital and probably $200+ in gas, hotel, and headaches associated with the capital. Take advantage of this if needed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can always renew your US Passport at the office in PP. Maybe this will be faster, normally takes about 3-4 weeks. There is a lady that works there that is very helpful.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
You can always renew your US Passport at the office in PP. Maybe this will be faster, normally takes about 3-4 weeks. There is a lady that works there that is very helpful.

Sky, I politely disagree with you. For months I have been emailing them and the answer has been "at the moment we cannot do passport renewals, we will have the service again, but we don't know exactly when... meanwhile all applicants needs to go to Santo Domingo"

And at least for this week, the service is available Monday-Wednesday only from 9-11am.

Here's a post from November indicating the service was not available also http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/159460-U-S-Passport-Renewal?p=1738028#post1738028

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sky, I politely disagree with you. For months I have been emailing them and the answer has been "at the moment we cannot do passport renewals, we will have the service again, but we don't know exactly when... meanwhile all applicants needs to go to Santo Domingo"

And at least for this week, the service is available Monday-Wednesday only from 9-11am.

I asked her for a deeper answer about 2 months ago.

The "reason" which they hesitate to tell you is that the new Ambassador had not started yet.
Why they think that needed to be kept a secret is beyond my pay grade.

At least that is what she said when I asked "why". :confused:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A friend of mine called yesterday about renewing an expired passport and they said to come in. That is all I know. The same person renewed his last passport there. He said a lady was very helpful.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A friend of mine called yesterday about renewing an expired passport and they said to come in. That is all I know. The same person renewed his last passport there. He said a lady was very helpful.

So you based your "you can always do it" response on a call your friend placed yesterday (they answered the phone and responded on Sunday?) and the person renewed their last passport there previously, 10 years ago?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So you based your "you can always do it" response on a call your friend placed yesterday (they answered the phone and responded on Sunday?) and the person renewed their last passport there previously, 10 years ago?

Sorry, it was this morning, not Sunday. And they have always handled passport renewals in the past. Sorry to ruin your day...........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I renewed mine at the Puerto Plata office back in April of 2014.
Very fast and efficient.

Alexandra Colombo
Spec. Consular Agent Assistant
U.S. Consulate Puerto Plata
Email: colomboa@state.gov
Telephone: 809-586-4204

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Anyone know if and where there is such an office in Santiago? I need to renew my passport before July.