Lamb Neck Fillet

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Has anyone come across lamb neck fillet on sale in DR and ideally in Santo Domingo.

It makes the very best lamb kebabs and on a recent trip to one of the islands I had a Lamb Swarma kebab using lamb neck and it was so good.

So I'm motivated to find some of this meat and some flat blade kebab skewers to barbeque.

With a decent sized ethnic Lebanese and Turkish community in Santo Domingo (and perhaps ethnic Syrian/Palestinian on the basis of their club on the Malecon), I'm hopeful someone can give me some leads to find this meat and perhaps the flat skewers.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Has anyone come across lamb neck fillet on sale in DR and ideally in Santo Domingo.

It makes the very best lamb kebabs and on a recent trip to one of the islands I had a Lamb Swarma kebab using lamb neck and it was so good.

So I'm motivated to find some of this meat and some flat blade kebab skewers to barbeque.

With a decent sized ethnic Lebanese and Turkish community in Santo Domingo (and perhaps ethnic Syrian/Palestinian on the basis of their club on the Malecon), I'm hopeful someone can give me some leads to find this meat and perhaps the flat skewers.

I have currently approx 100 lambs.... but it's a bit complicated to just cut off the neck....

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
IMO there is no such thing as lamb neck fillet. How would you garner enough meat from a neck to be able to call it a fillet?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
You can cut a nice fillet from the neck of a lamb, you need to have a good quality lamb though. Sheep or lambs that are grown in the DR generally are malnourished and underweight. My lambs weigh 50 kg. at 8 months of age. It's partly because I started out with pure bred sheep imported as embrios from Mexico....

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You can cut a nice fillet from the neck of a lamb, you need to have a good quality lamb though. Sheep or lambs that are grown in the DR generally are malnourished and underweight. My lambs weigh 50 kg. at 8 months of age. It's partly because I started out with pure bred sheep imported as embrios from Mexico....

Do you raise anything else?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
IMO there is no such thing as lamb neck fillet. How would you garner enough meat from a neck to be able to call it a fillet?

One of my favorite things to cook is a "neck roast" from a pig. I get them from the Carnicera Aleman opposite El Choco on the main highway in Sosua.  I slow smoke if for a few hours on the grill then finish it direct over the coals for about 20 minutes. Delicious!

So in theory, you should be able to get the same type of meat from a lamb, albeit a smaller amount. And probably less fatty too? So propably just a direct heat griller? (Basted with a nice marinade though - or better yet, cooked on a small spit, like shish-kabob!) 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'll think of you ju10 when I have my Ontario spring lamb next week.....
Truly the best you will ever taste... NZ and Australia are weal seconds.

Good lamb calls for a strong winter kill and green grass in the spring...IMO

For skewers just get the bamboo sticks in ChinaTown.....

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I'll think of you ju10 when I have my Ontario spring lamb next week.....
Truly the best you will ever taste... NZ and Australia are weal seconds.

Good lamb calls for a strong winter kill and green grass in the spring...IMO

For skewers just get the bamboo sticks in ChinaTown.....

Welsh is the best.......herbs they eat.

Flat kebab skewers as attachment photos is best for any kebab because they cook from inside too.

https://www.google.com.do/search?q=...AhXMMSYKHZIzBUAQsAQIJA&biw=1366&bih=658#spf=1

A narrow machete?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a set of stainless steel skewers, flat but narrower, never used them, but we're leaving early Saturday

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
What is the spanish word for that?   I was at a restaurant that was featuring mollejas de cerdo.  I know that mollejas are gizzards and pigs don't have gizzards.  The chef and waiter kept pointing to the neck.   

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have a set of stainless steel skewers, flat but narrower, never used them, but we're leaving early Saturday

The wider the better especially for the minced meat kebabs......kabob kubideh.....which you will find in Persian restaurants (plenty in LA, London) and similar in Indian restaurants but more spicy.

https://persianmama.com/kabob-koobideh-grilled-minced-meat-kabobs/ look at that rice crust!

I am sure there is a Lebanese version too and to that end I noticed that a Lebanese restaurant is about to open in Bella Vista Mall by the entrance to the car park.

I used to pick up snacks, items such as rose water, tahini and pomegranate concentrate and tabbouleh from the small Lebanese restaurant on Gustavo Mejia Ricard just after Lincoln but believe it has closed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The wider the better especially for the minced meat kebabs......kabob kubideh.....which you will find in Persian restaurants (plenty in LA, London) and similar in Indian restaurants but more spicy.

https://persianmama.com/kabob-koobideh-grilled-minced-meat-kabobs/ look at that rice crust!

I am sure there is a Lebanese version too and to that end I noticed that a Lebanese restaurant is about to open in Bella Vista Mall by the entrance to the car park.

I used to pick up snacks, items such as rose water, tahini and pomegranate concentrate and tabbouleh from the small Lebanese restaurant on Gustavo Mejia Ricard just after Lincoln but believe it has closed.

Okay, was going to gift them to you, but not the right ones anyway

I will check out the Lebanese place next trip, I absolutely love Middle Eastern food. My favorite restaurant in Manhattan used to be the Teheran on West 44th Street. Then spent 15 years working in a school with an Israeli chef, heaven. Truth being stranger than fiction, my DNA results from Ancestry peg me at 15% Middle Eastern and 8% Jewish. Quite a surprise. Still trying to understand the Irish and British results, lol.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Okay, was going to gift them to you, but not the right ones anyway

I will check out the Lebanese place next trip, I absolutely love Middle Eastern food. My favorite restaurant in Manhattan used to be the Teheran on West 44th Street. Then spent 15 years working in a school with an Israeli chef, heaven. Truth being stranger than fiction, my DNA results from Ancestry peg me at 15% Middle Eastern and 8% Jewish. Quite a surprise. Still trying to understand the Irish and British results, lol.

Much appreciated.

Crusaders involved?