Residency snag again

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
My third application for residency has been delayed at length in the Boston consulate. The first two times, I went to DR and got caught up in red tape and returned to USA empty-handed.

Then I wrote a letter to every member of the national congress to complain and I suspect this may have gotten a result. Maybe they figured it's better to make sure the applicant will get permanent residence, before issuing the RS visa. This instead of assuring the applicant that a state-level background check is good enough when in fact a FBI check is required once you arrive in DR and apply. My letter emphasized the importance of the truth, citing John 8:32 because it is the verse displayed on the Dominican flag, I noted, citing the Dominican constitution.

Take a survey of people on the street and a majority don't know that the Bible on the Dominican flag is open to John  8:32 and perhaps even some members of the congress didn't know, so I suspect maybe I impressed them, but all of this is pure speculation.

In any case, if they do more paperwork at the consular level maybe they are doing so for a good reason, namely, to prevent somebody from getting to DR and leaving empty-handed. The latest hassle was requiring a Dominican marriage certificate which meant sending a USA marriage certificate (with apostille, of course!) via Fedex and getting it registered in Santiago and getting the Dominican certificate to bring to Boston. FWIW they let me drop off paperwork in a large vanilla envelope at the a branch of the Boston consulate; and some readers might want to check if they can reduce their travel costs by visiting a closer branch of a consulate. The consulate in Boston has branches in Providence RI and Lawrence MA.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My third application for residency has been delayed at length in the Boston consulate. The first two times, I went to DR and got caught up in red tape and returned to USA empty-handed.

Then I wrote a letter to every member of the national congress to complain and I suspect this may have gotten a result. Maybe they figured it's better to make sure the applicant will get permanent residence, before issuing the RS visa. This instead of assuring the applicant that a state-level background check is good enough when in fact a FBI check is required once you arrive in DR and apply. My letter emphasized the importance of the truth, citing John 8:32 because it is the verse displayed on the Dominican flag, I noted, citing the Dominican constitution.

Take a survey of people on the street and a majority don't know that the Bible on the Dominican flag is open to John  8:32 and perhaps even some members of the congress didn't know, so I suspect maybe I impressed them, but all of this is pure speculation.

In any case, if they do more paperwork at the consular level maybe they are doing so for a good reason, namely, to prevent somebody from getting to DR and leaving empty-handed. The latest hassle was requiring a Dominican marriage certificate which meant sending a USA marriage certificate (with apostille, of course!) via Fedex and getting it registered in Santiago and getting the Dominican certificate to bring to Boston. FWIW they let me drop off paperwork in a large vanilla envelope at the a branch of the Boston consulate; and some readers might want to check if they can reduce their travel costs by visiting a closer branch of a consulate. The consulate in Boston has branches in Providence RI and Lawrence MA.

First, I'm going to question your log-on name? You sound all over the map. Applying for residency is not like going to pick up your wash. You don't drop off the paperwork and expect to get temporary residency anytime soon. Not sure what you are expecting but if this is your third attempt because of the lack of all the documents needed than maybe you should re-think this whole thing.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Are you using a DR Lawyer or doing yourself? Good lawyers usually can get these things done where we alone cannot.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
I am applying under a constitutional provision, Article 18 of the Constitution of 2015:

Quienes contraigan matrimonio con un dominicano o dominicana, siempre que opten por la nacionalidad de su cónyuge y cumplan con los requisitos establecidos por la ley;

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
You wrote a letter to every member of the national congress to complain?

I printed a copy to each member, autographed each one and mailed them separately from USA. I can only speculate whether the current snag reflects results; i.e. if they figure the writer of these letters does have a point, make sure they will get permanent residence before issuing RS visa.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

At least we can assume that you impressed yourself. How incredibly clever of you!
Der Fish

Jan 7, 2016
United States "snail-mail" letters RARELY get to the person that they're addressed-to when sent to the D.R. Unless you sent them Fed Ex or UPS at a cost of $49.95 US each, I doubt the people you addressed them to even read them. Use of an attorney to secure residency in this country, under any circumstances, is far superior to trying to do it on your own (at least for the initial try).

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Got an update

United States "snail-mail" letters RARELY get to the person that they're addressed-to when sent to the D.R. Unless you sent them Fed Ex or UPS at a cost of $49.95 US each, I doubt the people you addressed them to even read them. Use of an attorney to secure residency in this country, under any circumstances, is far superior to trying to do it on your own (at least for the initial try).

True enough. Even the lady at the Boston consulate recommends a lawyer now, and I do have one who is familiar with the case. Now, I got word that the snag is due to the FBI paper lists a class B misdemeanor, which carries no jail time in the State where it happened. I couldn't even get a jury trial because it isn't a serious enough charge. Time to deal with a lawyer in the Dominican Republic.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
When applying for my residency by marriage I used a lawyer. It struck me I was doing most of the work. So when applying for my naturalization did not hire a lawyer. Everything went well and saved a lot of money.

Feb 7, 2007
@bob saunders - my friend would like to know how much were your total government fees, for the citizenship process.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When applying for my residency by marriage I used a lawyer. It struck me I was doing most of the work. So when applying for my naturalization did not hire a lawyer. Everything went well and saved a lot of money.

I'll report back when I'm done... After using a lawyer.

Last friday , she met me at Migracion....1PM, with ournumber already in hand.
We are number 74, she said - they're serving #68, it won't be long....... music to my ears.

Two signatures anf two fingerprints and 20 minutes later I was gone.

I'll do the rest , she siad.
I'll call you when I need you........safe trip to Canada

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I printed a copy to each member, autographed each one and mailed them separately from USA. I can only speculate whether the current snag reflects results; i.e. if they figure the writer of these letters does have a point, make sure they will get permanent residence before issuing RS visa.

Ok everybody, stop laughing. I think he's serious.

On another note; I asked my lawyer to help me do my citizenship so I can get a passport and vote.

She managed to talk me out of it... after she stopped laughing.