How to get a dog from the DR to USA

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Sorry if this is not the proper space for this question. I traveled to the DR last Jan and I can not get this little dog out of my mind. He spent everyday with us waiting on our porch when we got up and ended each night when we went to bed by curling up on the patio. I am wondering if it is possible and what steps are needed to bring a stray back to the US. We asked around in LG to everybody about him and he does not appear to belong to anyone. We are headed back next Jan and are seriously thinking about bring him back with us.

I have read up on the Airline regulations but I am willing to register him as service dog before we get down there so on the way back we can just act like he is supposed to be with us(Vest Id card and all).That is something I am normally against but in this case I would overlook that to avoid all the hassle. I also read that I need to get a Health Certificate from the office of animal health there in DR. Plus I read about a possible quarantine in the airport for 48 hours.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas on the matter? Thanks again

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
 Buy a travel crate, have a veterinarian do the papers and you're gone...
No quarantine I know of.

If small enough, it can go inside...easy 
Leave before April 30

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Where is this dog? There are several groups in this country that organize transportation for strays taken off the streets or adoptions to Canada and the US. I'm sure they'd be able to give you all the necessary info. Not that complicated from what I've seen.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
... always wondered about how many dogs these people rescue?....In my neighborhood alone they would have lots of work...Doc..........

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
They do a lot with very little. Biggest challenge is finding adopters and then finding a way to get them there. In Punta Cana many of the dogs they ship up they've been taking care of for a while so they know the temperment, if they've been injured, if spayed, etc... tripods are often shipped out too since they know if they return them to the streets they'll have a really rough time.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Well thanks for the quick info! The dog is in Las Galeras and he is around 40-50 pounds I would guess. Do you know of the name of any of these services? I will get online and see what I can find. I have lots of pics of him. I have a contact in LG that says he sees him around that was a couple weeks ago. We write each other every once in a while and I sent him a pic and asked if he had seen the dog.

I would get around the temp issues and the carrier with his service dog papers which allow him in the cabin. It is something I am still talking and thinking through. Thanks again for any info

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Sorry if this is not the proper space for this question. I traveled to the DR last Jan and I can not get this little dog out of my mind. He spent everyday with us waiting on our porch when we got up and ended each night when we went to bed by curling up on the patio. I am wondering if it is possible and what steps are needed to bring a stray back to the US. We asked around in LG to everybody about him and he does not appear to belong to anyone. We are headed back next Jan and are seriously thinking about bring him back with us.

I have read up on the Airline regulations but I am willing to register him as service dog before we get down there so on the way back we can just act like he is supposed to be with us(Vest Id card and all).That is something I am normally against but in this case I would overlook that to avoid all the hassle. I also read that I need to get a Health Certificate from the office of animal health there in DR. Plus I read about a possible quarantine in the airport for 48 hours.

Please search on Facebook Dee Morrison Moringa Mission. She will help you! She has a rescue organisation here in DR and if she could help you to bring this little fury angel to the USA she certainly will. If you can't get the info i will try to get it for you. She is sending dogs on a regular basis to Canada and USA. She knows all airlines, all rules.... she is the person to contact.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You need to take the dog to a local vet in the DR. It has to have all the shots, such as, rabbies, etc., before the
Vet fills out the International Travel Form. How many pounds does the dog way. It must be under 20 pounds and be able to fit into a soft sided travel bag. If you are flying out of SD you need to go to the animal control office before you check in at the gate. The office is located to the left of the main entrance to the airport, along a strip of offices. They will give you a document for approval to fly. This costs around $10usd. Take this along with your International form to the gate when you check in. It will cost you between $100-150 for the dog to fly in the cabin. The airlines are strick when it comes to keeping the dog in the travel bag for the entire trip so plan accordingly. Good luck and good travels.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Every airport has an animal control office...

I have used SDQ, POP,and AZS.......
You see them on arrival ($10) and on the way out , another $10

They are very helpful

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

I applaud you Plastic! As an animal lover, it makes me think that there is a chance for humanity after all when I see folks like you willing to endure such hassles to rescue an animal you just met. Let me know if I can help.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I would suggest thinking twice about the cabin service animal option. Chances are he's never been in that type of environment in his life, his trust level in you will still be at a minimum so not much comfort there and as a service animal, they will expect him to remain somewhat calm and obedient. A crate in the belly of the plane is also stressful but at least it's a much more controlled area where it's unlikely he'll cause any troubles.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oftentimes, they train them to the crate ahead of time....
It becomes a refuge and the dog is comfortable there...

I always do it that way....
They love their crate - go there for peace and quiet.... get away from it all atmosphere.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oftentimes, they train them to the crate ahead of time....
It becomes a refuge and the dog is comfortable there...

I always do it that way....
They love their crate - go there for peace and quiet.... get away from it all atmosphere.

Very true. Our dogs in DR are loose in either the house or on the property (a couple of my sister-in-laws are terrified so we put them in garage when they visit).

Our rottie in NJ was crate trained from birth, and she often climbs in there to rest. It's huge, of course. At night she sleeps in there with the door open, we still use it because we learned that no one makes an alarm motion detector for dogs her size, she's too big/long.

I think crate training is mostly an American / Canadian thing, but sure helps if you're going to transport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Eliminates the trauma of being locked in..... they feel safer in rather than out of the cage

Absolute necessity for air travel
Any trainer will advise it

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Thanks for all the advise I will look into these options. It will take a bit to weigh out which is best for him and us. Thanks again I will let the group know what happens with this. Thanks again!!

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
DCDR  (dog & Cats of the Dominican Republic) is another rescue group on the north coast that sends dogs & cats to USA & Canada they have a website & facebook.