Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car vandalism

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car vandalism

How do you folks cope/deal with car vandalism in the DR?

My girlfriend has experienced numerous acts in the past couple of years; letting air out of tires, stealing mirror, attempted stealing of hub caps recently (with ensuing damage). It seems it is open hunting season year round. Any tips?

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally haven't experienced any as I have a private driver, chofer. As well, I've never heard of anything in regards to this type of activity, as I believe the vast majority of vehicle owners have garages and/or enclosed driveways. The biggest crime regarding vehicles is the theft of pasolas and motos. That's a major business. Simple vandalism? I don't think that's such a big thing, but I may be wrong. It may depend on which province you live in. I haven't run into any in San Pedro de Macoris, nor San Juan de la Maguana.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides parking lot dings, we had a group of rollerbladers glide past and whack the tailgate of the SUV so hard with something there's a 12" dent in it. I thought a car ran into us, and by the time I got out to see what's what they had disappeared...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The main vandalism I have seen is the removal of plastic end covers on roof racks. I don't replace them.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

never met with this issue. only once i had the plastic (or whatever it's made of) CAPA brand sign stolen from the back of my honda after i parked it, unintentionally, in front of PRD building during one of their annual meetings. that's why i don't trust the white party.

come to think of it in almost 11 years here and having had numerous cars (both miesposo's and mine) i did not experience this problem. granted, at home the cars are parked inside our property but outside of the house i park like stevie wonder. and miesposo drove around entire DR for years and no issue.

in any case, what car does she drive? if it's something super duper popular it's possible that some small elements are nicked with intention to sell because there is a huge demand. or it may be that she really p*sses someone of parking badly or scratching and denting someone's ride on regular.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

rule #127, regarding living in the dr

For no reason, what so ever, do you leave your car outside, on the roadside. Always park in your garage/ closed off driveway.
    Its not like back home, where you can curb-park and go off to work, or leave your car in front of your house at night. 

When out and about :
    - I try not leave my car out of sight. Like at the beach, restaurant, colmado.....
    Or
    - Go from buisness parkings to buisness parkings. Like ochoa, lasirena, DGM...... they have guards in the parkings or some sort of surveillance.

All this is only valid for a " normal" car. If you have a 20 year old bashed-up, rusty corolla, by all means park it anywhere 

Small anecdote from way back, when I was new to the dr :
    My wife had wrecked the side mirror protection thingy on the drivers side. A mirror vs mirror accident.
    We stopped off on Duarte in santiago.
    Apparently thats THE cheap place to go. But they only had cheap copies and not " originals ".
    Anyway the guy didnt have the Hilux model we needed.  But no fear !!!
    He sends off a kid/teenager with a screwdriver and a couple of tools........
    Tells us to go have a coffee next door, that it wont be long......
    And 15 mn or so later, the kid comes back with the side mirror  freshly subtalised from an unexpected Hilux owner.....lol.
    And I quote the curb-side pseudo-garage owner, that is why you do not leave your jeepeta roadside in the dr !!!!!!!

7. Likes MarkDR liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They got my hi intensity burn your eyeballs driving lights.  I was king of the night for a little while. Now I know better than to drive at night. They did look cool..

9. Likes MarkDR liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    rule #127, regarding living in the dr

For no reason, what so ever, do you leave your car outside, on the roadside. Always park in your garage/ closed off driveway.
    Its not like back home, where you can curb-park and go off to work, or leave your car in front of your house at night. 

When out and about :
    - I try not leave my car out of sight. Like at the beach, restaurant, colmado.....
    Or
    - Go from buisness parkings to buisness parkings. Like ochoa, lasirena, DGM...... they have guards in the parkings or some sort of surveillance.

All this is only valid for a " normal" car. If you have a 20 year old bashed-up, rusty corolla, by all means park it anywhere 

Small anecdote from way back, when I was new to the dr :
    My wife had wrecked the side mirror protection thingy on the drivers side. A mirror vs mirror accident.
    We stopped off on Duarte in santiago.
    Apparently thats THE cheap place to go. But they only had cheap copies and not " originals ".
    Anyway the guy didnt have the Hilux model we needed.  But no fear !!!
    He sends off a kid/teenager with a screwdriver and a couple of tools........
    Tells us to go have a coffee next door, that it wont be long......
    And 15 mn or so later, the kid comes back with the side mirror  freshly subtalised from an unexpected Hilux owner.....lol.
    And I quote the curb-side pseudo-garage owner, that is why you do not leave your jeepeta roadside in the dr !!!!!!!
    On my short street, which is very busy there are probably six or seven jeepetas parked on the street any given night. None have been vandalized or stolen as far as I know. The camera on my house covers two of them and the school cameras cover about half the street which has good lighting when there is power.
    your advice however is good.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post

in any case, what car does she drive? if it's something super duper popular it's possible that some small elements are nicked with intention to sell because there is a huge demand. or it may be that she really p*sses someone of parking badly or scratching and denting someone's ride on regular.

She was driving a regular used Ford sedan for quite a number of years and just traded it for a 2010 Jeep Patriot. So nothing to write home about. It seems vandals are not that fussy in the DR. The car is parked inside a guarded gate at night. It's daytime parking out on the road etc. that is the main problem.
    She also feels reporting it to the police would be a waste of time.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had`the wing mirror stolen a few times from my rental car while staying in the colonial zone ......it was parked on the street at night
    now I have my own apt with parking ...hasn't happened `since

13. Likes MarkDR liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast