Kill it with fire!! "Goat killer" centipede video.

May 29, 2006
They were tearing up a stone wall next door when this popped out. Eats mice and bats(!) among other things. About 10".

[video=youtube_share;6PGzwKqfGtI]https://youtu.be/6PGzwKqfGtI[/video]

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Once had an experience with one about 3/4 the size of that one. Was living in Santo Domingo on Jose Contreras and there was no electricity (what a surprise). It was hot so I decided to put the air mattress down on the living room floor and leave the front door open to get what breeze I could. My 1st floor apartment had a small balcony that opened up directly on the sidewalk. Was just drifting off to sleep when I felt a tickle in my neck. Thinking it was a cucaracha, I jumped up to try and shake it off. Ended up topless in front of the door when I couldn't seem to get it off. Finally heard the plop and grabbed the flashlight to squash the damn bug. Finally found it under the mattress. I really had to curb the urge to scream because the damn thing was huge (and by that time I had had a few experiences with them already so I could compare)! Ended up chopping it in half with the dust shovel and pushed it out onto the sidewalk. Needless to say, I didn't sleep for the rest of the night. The next morning the damn thing was still wiggling out there and women would shriek when they'd walk past. Last time I ever slept on the floor...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
one day in summer, i left my front door open, to get some breeze. a tiny mouse ran into my apartment, and i had no idea where he went. i bought two of those glue sticks, hoping to trap him. after i had it in place for two days, i caught him. however, on the second trap was a centipede every bit as big as the one in the video. i made sure that gong forward i had glue traps across the entire width of the door.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I had one on my terrace.  Got a kitchen knife and sliced it in two.  Now I had two of these critters running around.  Trouble was, I couldn't identify which end was the bitey end!  

They are hard to kill!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
One night, must have been a December 5 or 6, we celebrated St. Nicolaas, my daughter got a little scared because of it and my wife accompanied her in her bed to make her fall asleep, but ended up falling asleep herself. Myself I fell asleep on a couch we have on the second floor. Woke up around 2 am, closed the door that separates the second floor from the stairs, and got ready for bed, which meant taking off contacts and a shirt since it was kind of warm. 

I heard some noises which I thought came from the patio, but saw nothing through the window, so I went to sleep. Around 3 am I woke up feeling some animal on my body, especially my chest, more especifally, sniffing my nipple. I immediately slapped it away, thinking it was a cockroach, went to wake up my wife and tell her to come to our bed and told her apparently a cockroach walked over my body. We went to bed, again I heard noises, checked again the patio....still nothing to see, than I realize the noise is actually coming from the little family room, where the couch is I initially had fell asleep on. I went looking there and to my disgust I saw a thick long tail coming from behind the couch. I quickly warned my wife, who hid in one of the children's bedroom, I went to get a broom and moved the couch, to see a big fat rat.

It wasn't a cockroach after all that went inspecting my nipple at 3 am....it took me half an hour and two broken brooms to kill it. I took a long shower after that at 4 am, using clorexine instead of soap......

Guácala...!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I had one on my terrace.  Got a kitchen knife and sliced it in two.  Now I had two of these critters running around.  Trouble was, I couldn't identify which end was the bitey end!  

They are hard to kill!

you have to deliver a blow which covers the entire body, like dropping a brick on it. i saw a guy step on one in La Vga, and the bitey end had enough length to get him in the sandals.

May 29, 2006
They guy put it in a soda bottle to sell. They are used for some kind of local medicine, but I didn't understand enough of the details. I tried to take another video with close ups, but I was too scared of the damn thing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They guy put it in a soda bottle to sell. They are used for some kind of local medicine, but I didn't understand enough of the details. I tried to take another video with close ups, but I was too scared of the damn thing.

medicine...if that thing bites you, then you are going to need medicine.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
Ive killed several on my farm. My chickens will eat anything, but were scared of the centipede. Wouldnt even get close to it. I figgure that if they are afraid of them, then i should be too.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010

Yes.I have seen that before. Sometimes the bottle has caterpillars and other crap in it along with other pieces of tree bark, liquor, etc.. It doesn't taste all that bad.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yes.I have seen that before. Sometimes the bottle has caterpillars and other crap in it along with other pieces of tree bark, liquor, etc.. It doesn't taste all that bad.

Hopefully it includes some Rum or Tequila in that secret formula, to make it wash down easier .

May 29, 2006
one day in summer, i left my front door open, to get some breeze. a tiny mouse ran into my apartment, and i had no idea where he went. i bought two of those glue sticks, hoping to trap him. after i had it in place for two days, i caught him. however, on the second trap was a centipede every bit as big as the one in the video. i made sure that gong forward i had glue traps across the entire width of the door.

He must have been running away from the centipede!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Have seen them in Panama putting spiders and alcohol in a bottle and using that as antidote against bites maybe they do that the same way in the DR with centipedes.
The first night in BC when I moved there I woke up and one was crawling over me, I slapped it off before knowing what it was discovering it was one of those monsters when I turned on the lights. He found out not to mess with a Neanderthal man. ;)
One afternoon having some "spirits" in the backyard of a Dominican friend of mine, there was a big one on the wall, he grabbed with a barbecue fork and fed it to his chickens, they picked the hell out of it and ate it, they love it said my buddy and they did.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Frank, you must have some Tiguere Chickens ... cuz another feller here just said before that his Chickens know well enough to stay far away from these things ..

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
you have to deliver a blow which covers the entire body, like dropping a brick on it. i saw a guy step on one in La Vga, and the bitey end had enough length to get him in the sandals.

...Had one like that under a kitchen cabinet last winter....tried to kill will a stick, no work.... got the machete, cut his head off, thinking now I got him.....It walked around most of the day that way until the ants got him, very tough .......Doc.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
...Had one like that under a kitchen cabinet last winter....tried to kill will a stick, no work.... got the machete, cut his head off, thinking now I got him.....It walked around most of the day that way until the ants got him, very tough .......Doc.....

if you simply cut him in two, the business end can still get you. it does not need the rest of the legs...