Soy Dominicano

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Well today was ceremony day at the MIP
9:00 arrived at MIP to check in for naturalization
10:00 ceremony starts. Just 32 to become Dominicanos today
10:45 ceremony ends
11:15 arrive at Junta Central.
11:30 get called to window. Sent to caja pay 1500 rd at caja. Than go back to first window get paperwork for VIP. Go back to caja and pay 2000 RD for VIP. Back to first window and was told to come back after 3:00 for documents.
3:00 back to Junta central get documents and told to go to Primera Juridicion in Gazcue.
3:45 arrive in Gazcue. There they get another 1000 RD and tell you to come back next week.
The good news for me is they can issue my birth certificate and cedula in the states. The lady called Miami to make sure they can do it there.
So I will be in Miami next month and will get everything there.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
So I will be in Miami next month and will get everything there.

...if they didn't make you turn in your USA passport.

Even if you live in DR with DR citizenship, you still need to go to US Consulate and get a certificate of loss of nationality in order to stop being subject to USA taxes and such. Your expatriating act is being naturalized in Dominican Republic. However, by holding and using a US Passport you might be confirming that your acquisition of Dominican citizenship was not with the intention of relinquishing US citizenship.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Even if you live in DR with DR citizenship, you still need to go to US Consulate and get a certificate of loss of nationality in order to stop being subject to USA taxes and such. Your expatriating act is being naturalized in Dominican Republic. However, by holding and using a US Passport you might be confirming that your acquisition of Dominican citizenship was not with the intention of relinquishing US citizenship.

you are completely full of bovine excrement. There is no such requirement.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015

Since my wife is Dominican it is very legal for me to have dual. Also the vast majority of my income is all ready not subject to taxes it makes no difference to me.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!

This is the most ridiculous thing i've read this month.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!

This is the most ridiculous thing i've read this month.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

I am American and have Dominican citizenship.. I have never had to "renounce" my US citizenship. I have never had a problem maintaining dual citizenship in all these years. Obtaining Dominican citizenship is not about "renouncing" citizenship in your homeland. For those living here fulltime, married to a Dominican, etc...it just makes it easier living here (short sum up). Not all do it but those who do certainly do not have to "renounce" their citizenship in their homeland. And especially not for taxes.

Congratulations Harry Myrtle Beach!!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Somebody has already called into question the name "SomebodySmart"

Might not be an accurate description of the poster

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he saying you need to do that to be exempt from paying U.S. taxes? Because I don't know for a fact but I assume if you have duel citizenship you are still subject to paying taxes. (there are exclusions for us Expat that spend a large majority here in country). I have read that for the last few years (no liberals not just since Trump got elected) record numbers of U.S. citizens have given up their citizenship.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
You may be a dual citizen, but as long as you are a US citizen, US IRS claims the authority to tax your world-wide income regardless of where you live. Further, like HIV, you can infect your children with U.S. citizenship if they are born in DR to a US citizen parent who didn't renounce US citizenship. 

Joselito gets a check from Grandpa on his birthday, toward college. Joselito likes his other grandfather better, who sends him toys on his birthday. Mommy and Daddy bring Joselito to the place where they have free lollipops and instruct Joselito to write his name on a signature card and on the back of the check. Soon he has forgotten all about it. 

Years later, Joselito learns that he is facing criminal charges and devastating financial penalties for failing to report a "foreign" bank account in his home town, to U.S. Treasury. It is happening to people all over the world. Some tell IRS to go to Hell but others are scared and pay up. With FATCA, banks are reporting their US-person customers' accounts.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I now understand why Mr Smart doesn't have residency after three tries.

This thread is not about US passports, US taxes, FATCA, etc. It's about Harry becoming a Naturalized Dominican citizen. Nothing else. Take all the other stuff to the existing threads that deal with them.

Congratulations Harry, thanks for keeping us posted as you journeyed to citizenship.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Total BS.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I would never give up my citizenship .... you crazy you need to escape to something real... DR is fairy tale land and i love it ...

Sylvie Chartier

Jan 14, 2015

From what country or what planet should I ask, are you coming from?? Why would anybody do that unless not allowed to possess dual citizenship and we all know it's not the case in North-America?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You may be a dual citizen, but as long as you are a US citizen, US IRS claims the authority to tax your world-wide income regardless of where you live. Further, like HIV, you can infect your children with U.S. citizenship if they are born in DR to a US citizen parent who didn't renounce US citizenship. 

Joselito gets a check from Grandpa on his birthday, toward college. Joselito likes his other grandfather better, who sends him toys on his birthday. Mommy and Daddy bring Joselito to the place where they have free lollipops and instruct Joselito to write his name on a signature card and on the back of the check. Soon he has forgotten all about it. 

Years later, Joselito learns that he is facing criminal charges and devastating financial penalties for failing to report a "foreign" bank account in his home town, to U.S. Treasury. It is happening to people all over the world. Some tell IRS to go to Hell but others are scared and pay up. With FATCA, banks are reporting their US-person customers' accounts.

Was your mythical check for over a quarter of a million bucks? Or what?
Der Fish