Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balicana moves to Canoa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Balicana moves to Canoa

Balicana, the popular SE Asian-style restaurant in Los Corales is closing, but its menu will now be available at the owners' beachfront restaurant, Canoa.

https://www.facebook.com/canoarestaurant/
    @canoarestaurant
    (809) 455-7296
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

2. Likes CFA123 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Balicana, the popular SE Asian-style restaurant in Los Corales is closing, but its menu will now be available at the owners' beachfront restaurant, Canoa.

https://www.facebook.com/canoarestaurant/
    @canoarestaurant
    (809) 455-7296

What a shame! Anyone know why it closed? Where exactly is canoa located?  Usually when restaurants close and then try to replicate at another location it does Not work.  And to look at what canoa states about their menu, breakfast, lunch, coffee?  Cooks stretched must too thin? Hope not. I wonder at chefs also putting together the balicana Indonesian cuisine.  Personally I miss Balucana already.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been to Canoa twice, nothing to write home about, other than the beach.

Balicana will be missed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the two were under the same management... I've not been to Canoa, but Balicana was a go to place for me when in Bavaro.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Both were owned by the same couple. Balicana lost there lease so they had to shut down. My wife talked to the owner last month and he said that most of the menu from Balicana and all the employees would move to Canoa.
    They are located off Avenida Alemania between Playa Turquesa and Hotel Barcelo Dominican Beach.
    We liked both so I'm looking forward to the new menu at Canoa

7. Likes CFA123, Chirimoya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We will try it out for sure. Loved Balicana but the Canoa location and atmosphere are good too. If they open on Sundays it will be a bonus - that was always an issue I had with Balicana!

www.DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Story is that GrupoDos wants the entire area around Balicana in order to build a resort. They're after everything between Now Larimar and Stanza Mare.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have eaten in both places and the beach atmosphere at Canoa is very nice. You can hear the waves while your dining. The food there was good, but I'm sure once, the chefs from Balicana are in-force there, the Indonesian cuisine will be back. PARKING IS TERRIBLE!!! The street leading to Canoa is narrow and parking is very limited...walking there on the beach is somewhat problematic as you have to cross several resorts in either direction. One of the problems with the old Balicana location with the restricted access to the street where it was located...sometimes the gate Watchee would not let you in to go to the restaurant. We were turned away not too long ago.

11. Likes Chirimoya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was going to say - parking is a problem near Canoa. Might be best to park in Plaza Turquesa and walk.

www.DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Location, location and...location.

In my opinion not a smart move; it's often windy and plain cold at the beach after 7pm.
    And there is nothing to see at sea when it's dark.

Besides that every bar/restaurant should have parking space nearby, not 300mtrs or more away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast