Balicana moves to Canoa

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Balicana, the popular SE Asian-style restaurant in Los Corales is closing, but its menu will now be available at the owners' beachfront restaurant, Canoa.

https://www.facebook.com/canoarestaurant/
@canoarestaurant
(809) 455-7296

What a shame! Anyone know why it closed? Where exactly is canoa located?  Usually when restaurants close and then try to replicate at another location it does Not work.  And to look at what canoa states about their menu, breakfast, lunch, coffee?  Cooks stretched must too thin? Hope not. I wonder at chefs also putting together the balicana Indonesian cuisine.  Personally I miss Balucana already.

1greasy

Jun 21, 2012
I have been to Canoa twice, nothing to write home about, other than the beach.

Balicana will be missed.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the two were under the same management... I've not been to Canoa, but Balicana was a go to place for me when in Bavaro.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Both were owned by the same couple. Balicana lost there lease so they had to shut down. My wife talked to the owner last month and he said that most of the menu from Balicana and all the employees would move to Canoa.
They are located off Avenida Alemania between Playa Turquesa and Hotel Barcelo Dominican Beach.
We liked both so I'm looking forward to the new menu at Canoa

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We will try it out for sure. Loved Balicana but the Canoa location and atmosphere are good too. If they open on Sundays it will be a bonus - that was always an issue I had with Balicana!

Pancake

Nov 17, 2015
Story is that GrupoDos wants the entire area around Balicana in order to build a resort. They're after everything between Now Larimar and Stanza Mare.

Jan 7, 2016
Have eaten in both places and the beach atmosphere at Canoa is very nice. You can hear the waves while your dining. The food there was good, but I'm sure once, the chefs from Balicana are in-force there, the Indonesian cuisine will be back. PARKING IS TERRIBLE!!! The street leading to Canoa is narrow and parking is very limited...walking there on the beach is somewhat problematic as you have to cross several resorts in either direction. One of the problems with the old Balicana location with the restricted access to the street where it was located...sometimes the gate Watchee would not let you in to go to the restaurant. We were turned away not too long ago.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, I was going to say - parking is a problem near Canoa. Might be best to park in Plaza Turquesa and walk.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Location, location and...location.

In my opinion not a smart move; it's often windy and plain cold at the beach after 7pm.
And there is nothing to see at sea when it's dark.

Besides that every bar/restaurant should have parking space nearby, not 300mtrs or more away.

Jan 7, 2016
Location, location and...location.

In my opinion not a smart move; it's often windy and plain cold at the beach after 7pm.
And there is nothing to see at sea when it's dark.

Besides that every bar/restaurant should have parking space nearby, not 300mtrs or more away.

Plaza Turquesa is definitely over 300 meters from the location of Canoa...down a very dark street at night with lots of places for muggers to hang-out and stalk tourists.

jannie123

Sep 26, 2016
My husband and I have always enjoyed the Asian cuisine at Balicana. We visited Canoa a number off times in 2016. We loved the chicken fingers and salad. They gave us a large portion and chicken fingers were big with a great sauce. When we returned this winter, we could not wait to get there and order there chicken fingers. We were so DISAPPOINTED. The service was horrible and the chicken fingers were about the size of my baby finger. They also changed the sauce. We figured they must have got a new cook or maybe someone else owned it. We tried a few weeks later hoping that maybe it was just a off day, but to our disappointment the same thing. We will give it another try for the Asian Cuisine. Hopefully they keep the same menu. We love the spring rolls with the spicy sauce. If they change them, they will lose a lot of business.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The owners haven't changed and they are keeping the same Balicana menu and prices according to their announcement. We've always been fans of Balicana since moving here almost nine years ago. Canoa's menu was a bit boring and the food quality and service were not consistent. Maybe combining the two was the answer all along.