Shipping From the U.S.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Many people have written about this here, but I thought I would update a with recent experience.

I have an envelope sent from the U.S. with some mail (USPS Priority Express International). Supposedly, it takes between 3-5 days to reach the DR and cost about $58 USD.

From the drop off point at the USPS station to departing from the airport-SFO-took almost 46 hours. Then about 30 hours on several Delta flights (SFO to JFK) (JFK to SDQ)-USPS uses commercial airliners to freight their Priority Mail as they no longer have their own fleet.

The package arrived Thursday, the 27th at SDQ around 4:30pm-It states that it departed SDQ about and hour and a half later. Then, no additional updates on the tracking number.

USPS mail is handed over to INPOSDOM at SDQ for delivery. Nothing was delivered on Friday.

Hoping for a deliver sometime this week Tuesday to Friday. Last time that I had a package sent with this service, I had a deliver on about business day 6-so not quite 5 business days as they claim. This has mostly to due with USPS's slow initial mail services and also the end point problem with INPOSDOM.

Shipping with UPS next day is about $75 and Fedex about $100-problem is that you have to condense your address to fit their shipping label requirements, which is difficult with the long addresses here in DR.

Best option is probably just ship the mail in an envelope by Fedex or UPS ground to the Miami EPS package address-not the correspondence address. However, maybe this might not be so good, if you have sensitive materials like debit or credit cards? I have never had a problem with Mail Box, Etc forwarding from Miami with debit or credit cards, so I imagine it probably would not be a problem with the EPS package address. Other issue is the sender needs to put $1 value on the Fedex/UPS ground shipping form for EPS-Aduanas.

Thoughts?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
One other thing I am wondering about is what is the more reliable service to forward mail that might have debit or credit cards in a UPS/Fedex ground envelope-not regular correspondence mail.

EPS or MBE?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What I have done in these circumstances... credit card delivery....
I sent it to the lawyer.....they get regular courier delivery.

Another time, not a credit card, I sent it to a nearby hotel... after asking permission from them.

Both worked well... and rapid fast
Eliminating any other handlers....

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I used UPS to send some documents from the US to Cabarete about a year ago. Maybe they've changed, but I paid around $50 for 2 day delivery(something like that-not overnight/next day) and it was delivered by UPS right to my condo.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I used UPS to send some documents from the US to Cabarete about a year ago. Maybe they've changed, but I paid around $50 for 2 day delivery(something like that-not overnight/next day) and it was delivered by UPS right to my condo.

Well I've used their calculate time and cost on their website and the only option that pops up is Worldwide Saver delivery by end of next day for $75.47. No other options appear available.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One other thing I am wondering about is what is the more reliable service to forward mail that might have debit or credit cards in a UPS/Fedex ground envelope-not regular correspondence mail.

EPS or MBE?

My cards are sent via the postal system to the EPS package address. I can track them when they hit Miami and I haven't had a problem.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
My cards are sent via the postal system to the EPS package address. I can track them when they hit Miami and I haven't had a problem.

Do you have it sent to the package address, because the banks and cc companies will not send to the EPS PO Box Correspondence address?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No, I have the banks send it to the package address so that the envelope gets on the next plane and doesn't sit in an office somewhere waiting for a mailbag or box to fill up. I also like the fact I receive an email notification when it arrives at EPS Miami. Cost more than the regular snailmail PO Box option but it's always the minimum 1 lb charge - which at the moment happens to be 55 pesos with EPS.

Also, for credit cards, having my EPS package address linked to the card helps with some online companies who verify addresses before shipping purchases.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
No, I have the banks send it to the package address so that the envelope gets on the next plane and doesn't sit in an office somewhere waiting for a mailbag or box to fill up. I also like the fact I receive an email notification when it arrives at EPS Miami. Cost more than the regular snailmail PO Box option but it's always the minimum 1 lb charge - which at the moment happens to be 55 pesos with EPS.

Also, for credit cards, having my EPS package address linked to the card helps with some online companies who verify addresses before shipping purchases.

True that-sending mail to that PO Box certainly is a lot slower to get to RD vs. the address for packages.

Can you use the EPS package address as your main address for bank accounts-credit cards?

I have a mail place out in NV that acts as a main address and plan on just forwarding the mail from there by UPS Ground to the EPS Package address in Miami.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I just called the bank on skype, asked that my eps address be linked to my account and any issued cards be sent to that address in Miami, not my primary address for the account.

Your way would work too, but you end up paying from NV to Miami and then again to the DR. If your bank will play nice, cut out the intermediate step.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well I've used their calculate time and cost on their website and the only option that pops up is Worldwide Saver delivery by end of next day for $75.47. No other options appear available.

I just did it for Miami to Cabarete, UPS Worldwide Saver, and it came up $52.86(?). That was for mailing it at a UPS store. If you use Mail Box USA or pick up, it will cost more(?).

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I just did it for Miami to Cabarete, UPS Worldwide Saver, and it came up $52.86(?). That was for mailing it at a UPS store. If you use Mail Box USA or pick up, it will cost more(?).

Well this would be from NV to Santo Domingo. Probably explains why it is $75 instead of $53 from Miami.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Many people have written about this here, but I thought I would update a with recent experience.

I have an envelope sent from the U.S. with some mail (USPS Priority Express International). Supposedly, it takes between 3-5 days to reach the DR and cost about $58 USD.

From the drop off point at the USPS station to departing from the airport-SFO-took almost 46 hours. Then about 30 hours on several Delta flights (SFO to JFK) (JFK to SDQ)-USPS uses commercial airliners to freight their Priority Mail as they no longer have their own fleet.

The package arrived Thursday, the 27th at SDQ around 4:30pm-It states that it departed SDQ about and hour and a half later. Then, no additional updates on the tracking number.

USPS mail is handed over to INPOSDOM at SDQ for delivery. Nothing was delivered on Friday.

Hoping for a deliver sometime this week Tuesday to Friday. Last time that I had a package sent with this service, I had a deliver on about business day 6-so not quite 5 business days as they claim. This has mostly to due with USPS's slow initial mail services and also the end point problem with INPOSDOM.

Shipping with UPS next day is about $75 and Fedex about $100-problem is that you have to condense your address to fit their shipping label requirements, which is difficult with the long addresses here in DR.

Best option is probably just ship the mail in an envelope by Fedex or UPS ground to the Miami EPS package address-not the correspondence address. However, maybe this might not be so good, if you have sensitive materials like debit or credit cards? I have never had a problem with Mail Box, Etc forwarding from Miami with debit or credit cards, so I imagine it probably would not be a problem with the EPS package address. Other issue is the sender needs to put $1 value on the Fedex/UPS ground shipping form for EPS-Aduanas.

Thoughts?

This is like a torture waiting for this package to arrive from Inposdom. Came in late last Thursday to SDQ-departed the airport-nothing Friday-3 day weekend with May 1st holiday-Now nothing on Tuesday here-no way to really track the package other than what's on the USPS tracking page-which says little other than it departed SDQ. Really, I can not emphasize enough that one has to use either the DHL-Fedex-UPS overnight service to here or through EPS-MBE in Miami to bring the mail over to DR.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
This is like a torture waiting for this package to arrive from Inposdom. Came in late last Thursday to SDQ-departed the airport-nothing Friday-3 day weekend with May 1st holiday-Now nothing on Tuesday here-no way to really track the package other than what's on the USPS tracking page-which says little other than it departed SDQ. Really, I can not emphasize enough that one has to use either the DHL-Fedex-UPS overnight service to here or through EPS-MBE in Miami to bring the mail over to DR.

Well unfortunately, my package is not showing up now for whatever reason. I have surmised that it takes about 6 business days from the day after it is mailed in the U.S. (USPS Priority Mail International) to be classified 'arrived' in the DR-passing through Insposdom Processing Facility and Aduanas on that 6th business day and then out for delivery in Santo Domingo that same 6th business day.

Unfortunately, the sender in my case put a description down on the shipping label as 'credit card' under the custom duties section with a $10 value. I imagine the package was taken into custody between the time it passed through SDQ on its way into the 'hands' of Inposdom and Aduanas-LOL Lesson learned-LOL.

titua1915

Mar 28, 2018
Hey Did package ever show up? If yes how long did it take from usps drop off to delivery in dr? also what city/town did you get it delivered to? I sent envelope with documents from ny to santiago and latest scan says departed las americas, santo domingo. So its already in DR. Does it get scanned anymore after this?

Well unfortunately, my package is not showing up now for whatever reason. I have surmised that it takes about 6 business days from the day after it is mailed in the U.S. (USPS Priority Mail International) to be classified 'arrived' in the DR-passing through Insposdom Processing Facility and Aduanas on that 6th business day and then out for delivery in Santo Domingo that same 6th business day.

Unfortunately, the sender in my case put a description down on the shipping label as 'credit card' under the custom duties section with a $10 value. I imagine the package was taken into custody between the time it passed through SDQ on its way into the 'hands' of Inposdom and Aduanas-LOL Lesson learned-LOL.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The standard rule for the DR is:

If it absolutely has to get here, don't rely on the DR postal system <sic>

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Well if the package is open check for any charges and cancel if any are there. But how do you activate it is your card registered to US Cell number or a Dominican one

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
BMCargo has reasonable rates for shipping, imho. They have offices all around the country and their rates are posted online. You can set up an account for free. We been using them a couple of years with only one hitch when someone used them to ship some sort of contraband and clogged up their whole customs-clearance process for about a week. They have an address in Doral, FL where you do the in-USA shipping, then you have to post a notification to them with shipper, tracking number, date, value, and a copy of an invoice. If you ship non-invoiced items, you have to make up an invoice showing shipper name, items shipped, value, and recipient name.