Dominican Lawyer

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
Anyone recommend a lawyer who speaks English well? I am retiring soon and need help before signing legal docs in the DR. Also looking to possibly invest retirement money in property near Azua Costanza and will need some advice whether something or someone may not be in my best interest of dealing with as I am sure lots of Con men or women are active in the DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I have been using Guzman firm. My daughters got their Dominican citizenship painlessly thru this firm. Melisa was the attorney we had and she speaks English well. They have several offices throughout the country.

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
Thank you! I too also hope to get residency and citizenship as well. Is that process easy? Expensive? I know getting married to a local is the easiest way but I wish to avoid that.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I am in the process of getting my residency then will go for the citizenship. My wife is from the Dom Rep. There is much paper work and getting documents apositilled etc and I recommend an attorney for this process!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thank you! I too also hope to get residency and citizenship as well. Is that process easy? Expensive? I know getting married to a local is the easiest way but I wish to avoid that.

My friend, talk to the closest DR Consulate in your country of origin. They will give you the requirements for residency. Why would you want citizenship? You need to get a number of documents together and approved by the consulate and bring those to the DR for an attorney to walk through the systems. Yes it is expensive. Probably cost you a minimum of $2000usds. There is a lot of info on line. Educate yourself.

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
My friend, talk to the closest DR Consulate in your country of origin. They will give you the requirements for residency. Why would you want citizenship? You need to get a number of documents together and approved by the consulate and bring those to the DR for an attorney to walk through the systems. Yes it is expensive. Probably cost you a minimum of $2000usds. There is a lot of info on line. Educate yourself.

Ok probably not citizenship but residency. Thanks again and I will look more into the details

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Residency process starts with an application to the Dominican Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The whole process from start to finish in your country and here in the DR can take more than a year (up to a year in the DR alone after you submit a residency application). Best to have everything done at home before moving here to avoid having to take trips back home mid process. You are legal to live in the DR from the start of your Residency visa provided you submit a formal application to the Govt before that visa expires. Keep a submission receipt as proof of submission.

Lots of info in other threads on DR1 and most anyone will offer lawyer recommendations if requested. Definitely get a lawyer to deal with your initial residency application (Part II) here in the DR. You can do the Embassy stuff at home yourself. After completing the steps at home, send all the paperwork to your lawyer here in the DR so they can start before you even arrive. Keep in mind that the Residency Visa that will be placed in your passport by the DR Embassy in your home country is only valid for 90 days. It is important that your lawyer here has as much of those 90 days to work with as possible. You will need to walk into immigration with your lawyer in Santo Domingo before those 90 days expire.

Lots of original, certified documents to round up. I started the process at home 8 months before moving day.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you don't have a good grasp on Spanish, yes get a lawyer. Guzman are not the cheapest but they are good and they are reliable.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Anyone recommend a lawyer who speaks English well? I am retiring soon and need help before signing legal docs in the DR. Also looking to possibly invest retirement money in property near Azua Costanza and will need some advice whether something or someone may not be in my best interest of dealing with as I am sure lots of Con men or women are active in the DR

Lots of the people here like Guzman. Also this is an excellent firm, http://www.squirepattonboggs.com/en/locations/santo-domingo?explore=team

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
The Residency process starts with an application to the Dominican Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The whole process from start to finish in your country and here in the DR can take more than a year (up to a year in the DR alone after you submit a residency application). Best to have everything done at home before moving here to avoid having to take trips back home mid process. You are legal to live in the DR from the start of your Residency visa provided you submit a formal application to the Govt before that visa expires. Keep a submission receipt as proof of submission.

Lots of info in other threads on DR1 and most anyone will offer lawyer recommendations if requested. Definitely get a lawyer to deal with your initial residency application (Part II) here in the DR. You can do the Embassy stuff at home yourself. After completing the steps at home, send all the paperwork to your lawyer here in the DR so they can start before you even arrive. Keep in mind that the Residency Visa that will be placed in your passport by the DR Embassy in your home country is only valid for 90 days. It is important that your lawyer here has as much of those 90 days to work with as possible. You will need to walk into immigration with your lawyer in Santo Domingo before those 90 days expire.

Lots of original, certified documents to round up. I started the process at home 8 months before moving day.

Wow you actually went thru the process. Which area do you live may I ask? That's my big decision

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He went through it.
I went through it.

Many here did it.

The lawyer who took me through was the one I sent you

Good luck