New Beach in Sosua - 10 "Dollar" Entrance

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
New beach in Sosua. 10 dollars? I imagine pesos. But hopefully it will keep growing and provide better access then just thru the hotel.

05-01.jpg

1 May 2017
A new beach at La Puntilla de Piergiorgio
After a storm in March 2001, a new beach arose besides the Waterfront restaurant (Playa Alicia).
La Puntilla de Piergiorgio
La Puntilla de Piergiorgio
So at the end of the 'street without exit' (dead end street), the street officially called 'Calle Dr. Rosen'. But since the last storm and heavy rain showers, a new beach has suddenly emerged next to La Puntilla de Piergiorgio hotel. After the discovery of Alicia beach, the following morning a priest appeared to bless this miracle. According to our information, this new beach has not yet been blessed by a priest. But that can still happen, of course. To make use of the beach you have to go through the hall of the hotel La Puntilla de Piergiorgio. For this, the hotel charges 10 dollar entrance. Despite the fact that all beaches in the Dominican Republic are freely accessible to every citizen, the hotel considers it necessary to ask 10 dollars. The hotel wants to prevent that noisy bathers disturb their clients.

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4811&article=1

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If those idiots at the Piergiorgio hotel had any sense, they wouldn't charge people to pass through their hotel to see the beach, they would encourage people to walk through free. They have a great location with fantastic views but not everyone knows about it. They are wasting a great opportunity for good publicity because in typical Dominican style they just want to make a few bucks today. The hotel will be removed from my "to visit" list.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm so glad they are charging money for that. keep it pristine. i will recommend this place to everyone who values peace and quiet.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
can you imagine a load of beach users walking through your hotel to get to the beach bringing the whole family with them and I almost forgot bringing the family saucepans as well ....and not spending a nickle

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
For $10 I can get an Umbrella, a chair and a Presidente at Playa Alicia ( im actually too lazy to do the real math and dont care) but the point is Playa Alicia is REALLY, Really nice .. why would anyone waste their money on this small square of wet sand .
there are much better Private beaches , if you know how to get there.. Real GEMS... total privacy..
I dont see the big deal ,.. other than to take a Selfie on it , it has absolutely Zero Value .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I can't imagine any hotel wanting the general public strolling through their lobby out to the beach, especially if it's not a "guest friendly" hotel. In Sosua, they'll end up with a lot of "guests" they don't want - in their rooms!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
... If you think really hard about it, what is the main thing holding Sosua back from major hotel growth, and with it many more tourists??.........The same thing that has always been missing......A really big beach( miles long) just outside town.... and you cant build one........Doc........

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought the law states that all Dominicans are guaranteed access to any beach, that the people own 60m from mean high tide.

How can any establishment charge for this beach access?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Los ríos, lagos, lagunas, playas y costas nacionales pertenecen al dominio público y son de libre acceso, observándose siempre el respeto al derecho de propiedad privada.
that's how. the access to the beach is through private property.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
It's good that they charge, or it'll end up filled with garbage, litter and broken glass. Plus, you need to access it via the hotel lobby.
Don't know if it's true but I read that even before this beach thing, the hotel used to charge the $10 dollar fee anyways for the people who wanted to hang out there. This gave them access to some of its services.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've only been there once, last year. no access fees but we ate dinner and had drinks. maybe they charge if there is no consumption? or for the use of pool?

Feb 7, 2007
i've only been there once, last year. no access fees but we ate dinner and had drinks. maybe they charge if there is no consumption? or for the use of pool?

No, they charge for an access to a miracle beach which appeared and formed overnight. May call it the eight wonder of the world.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Mother Nature giveth and can also taketh away. If it is a ten dollar us fee I wouldn't be frequenting this place very often.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
From the looks of that "beach" that I see in the pic, it will probably disappear overnight also.

Your right. Nature giveth and nature taketh away. Beaches in coastal zones are active erosion(secretion) and deposition (accretion) zones. Observe the beaches here between the seasons. You can see the difference in the high water mark and the raising and lowering of the intertidal zone depending on the direction and severity of the storms. Happens all over the world. I've walked beaches most of my professional life for assessment purposes. I still enjoy stopping here and there in the DR and walking out of the way beaches. 

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
so let them make some cash on it when they still can.

I'm sure this is just their version of day passes that are offered at many AI's. If they let you use their beach chairs and restaurant/bar facilities, I'm sure some people will be glad to pay the $10.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No, they charge for an access to a miracle beach which appeared and formed overnight. May call it the eight wonder of the world.

i understand. i was referring to the notion that they used to charge people even before that:

Don't know if it's true but I read that even before this beach thing, the hotel used to charge the $10 dollar fee anyways for the people who wanted to hang out there. This gave them access to some of its services.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I may be a bad picture, but that beach simply looks ugly.

Who would pay for that 0.0025 square meter of sand with no shade and no amenities/facilities ? :ninja:

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

Great place for dessert and drinks, not so much for anything else