monthly payment for gardener

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Hi, I heard that the salary got increased last month... how much do people pay gardeners per month? for fix employee, i am providing food. currently i am paying 12,000 pesos.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Hi, I heard that the salary got increased last month... how much do people pay gardeners per month? for fix employee, i am providing food. currently i am paying 12,000 pesos.

12,000 plus food ....and he also gets to enjoy the sun while he works ....you have him spoiled ...if it goes up 10% you might have to send the wife down to the river to do the laundry

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It depends on the pay scale in your area.....

It can vary from 400 to more than 500 a day.

After many years, I have elevated my man.
He changes oil in the planta, fixes small car things, all minor (some major repairs)...
His wife cleans the house....
A VERY loyal and trusted employee.
He gets more than 500/day

Use your judgement..... ask your vecinos what they pay ...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Mine works two and a half days a week and gets 6000 pesos a month.

At the moment he's helping me paint the house on the days he doesn't usually work in the garden.  He gets 500 pesos a day extra.  This month he'll make 12,000pesos.  That's more than a policeman.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I thought the proposed minimum wage increase never actually happened last month and that they are still discussing it. Did I get that wrong?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the wage increase has not been applied and only refers to businesses. private employees are not under any obligation to raise the salary of domestic workers.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
It depends on the pay scale in your area.....

It can vary from 400 to more than 500 a day.

After many years, I have elevated my man.
He changes oil in the planta, fixes small car things, all minor (some major repairs)...
His wife cleans the house....
A VERY loyal and trusted employee.
He gets more than 500/day

Use your judgement..... ask your vecinos what they pay ...

My judgment .... my employees are very good! sometimes i leave for months and when ii come back all looks perfect. For addl work like painting etc I pay extra but one lump sum per year. Yesterday i was talking to my neighbors gardener, he is very good too....always working... he gets 15,000 pesos and still complains. I also pay health insurance. I have 3 gardeners and they work on a rotation basis, that always someone is there and they coordinate the work. Also one always stays overnight. I have a beautiful little 2 bedroom house for the employees. The food i buy, they cook, ...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sandy
I too pay the health insurance..my share.
My situation is similar to yours - I am away no more than 2 months at a time.... runs perfectly.

Sounds like the 12,000 is your minimum....

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Starting at 12,000 per month. No lunch/food. Hour off for lunch time. We DO have a vacation and sick days program. We pay the extra for worked Holidays. We DO train. We do expect some tools and lawn mower gas to "be lost". We have tried to get them to have the upscale National Health insurance but that has never worked since they have "free".... that has not worked for them either. We give very generous December bonus in cash.

We have also over the years have helped just about every one of our workers one way or another and most times with NSA. Moto vs truck needing major medical... U.S. $10,000. or he would die. He has been with us over 15 years.

Leg operations... just do it and pay while they are laid up not working using vacation and sick time.. or what ever is needed. Perhaps some help with school that needs a couple of off early times?

I'm a long term person. My help that I rely on are a little more then "help". Finding good people is difficult but when you have them they are worth Gold.

It's not what YOU pay them so much as what you can receive back FROM them. But in MHO... it has to be earned.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm with you Solar.

We all (in Cabrera) recognize the 2 week vacation rule (which they take in cash rather than days), the Christmas bonus, and we liquidate every year - for two reasons:
1/ to avoid a big payment at the end one day
2/ I feel it's their money and if they want/need it , they should have it.

Like you, I support them in every way - medical, motos, houses....fingers crossed, haven't been burned yet... 6 yrs in

My man maintains the equipment beautifully.... he's mechanically minded which helps.
No tools missing...
All in all, a good arrangement for both of us.

Two gardener types... full time and a part timer
Two rotating night watchmen.
Seven days a week - in or out of residence.

There's a lineup of willing workers.....when we need anything.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
My judgment .... my employees are very good! sometimes i leave for months and when ii come back all looks perfect. For addl work like painting etc I pay extra but one lump sum per year. Yesterday i was talking to my neighbors gardener, he is very good too....always working... he gets 15,000 pesos and still complains. I also pay health insurance. I have 3 gardeners and they work on a rotation basis, that always someone is there and they coordinate the work. Also one always stays overnight. I have a beautiful little 2 bedroom house for the employees. The food i buy, they cook, ...
Sounds like a plantation you have going on there