Does Anyone Here Know How

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The customs in DR works for a USPS Priority Mail Express International envelope?

I had an envelope come in on a Delta Flight late 27th April and has been stuck for nearly 8 days with only Departed from transfer airport Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Usually it takes only 3-4 days for such a package to clear Inposdom processing facility and Aduanas and then out for delivery

Is it possible that it is stuck in customs? How would we know, if that is the case? I called Insposdom and they told me that they can do nothing until it has 'arrived' and to contact USPS. A lot of help that does-not.

Do we receive some note of phone call, if it is being held in customs?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The short answer is no. The chances of an "official" calling you for any process in this country are very slim. Usually, it is up to you to contact them multiple times hoping that eventually you will reach someone who knows something of what you are inquiring about.

This is why "we" don't use inposdum; they are unlikely to be able to help until they are handed the item, even then assistance is a bit of a gamble. At least with a courier service, customs clearance takes place in their own warehouse, someone always knows where the package is and they are motivated to get you your package so they can get paid.

Sometimes inpsodum surprises us, but not very often.

Jan 7, 2016
Customs here is a farce. Ordered some draperies from Target in U.S. and PREPAID THE IMPORT DUTIES with the shipping. The box sat in Customs in Santo Domingo for over a week and a half, because, get this: the "officials" didn't "know how to handle pre-paid duty items" and were "very sorry" that the package took so long to arrive in Punta Cana. The government here needs to invest a little into TRAINING the individuals responsible for this kinda stuff!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A check was mistakenly mailed to me via USPS instead of FedEx. It took over a month to get from the post office in SD to the post office in Sosua.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The system from both Europe and the US works fine by normal post until it hits the shores of the DR..

I had one letter delivered by hand to my abode which was absolutely amazing only to discover that it had been sent more then three months previously.

My replacement credit card got lost by the courier service EPS and the replacement for the replacement arrived at the Sosua post office and would have sat there for ever had I not passed by to ask if they had received anything..
It's by far better to pay for a reliable courier service.

Ipsodom does not call back as far as I know and there is no follow-up either..
As for the aduanas via post service that must be even more of a mysterious force.
You will just have to continue calling until maybe you find someone who 1.) Cares..and 2.)knows something.and 3.)will help..

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The system from both Europe and the US works fine by normal post until it hits the shores of the DR..

I had one letter delivered by hand to my abode which was absolutely amazing only to discover that it had been sent more then three months previously.

My replacement credit card got lost by the courier service EPS and the replacement for the replacement arrived at the Sosua post office and would have sat there for ever had I not passed by to ask if they had received anything..
It's by far better to pay for a reliable courier service.

Ipsodom does not call back as far as I know and there is no follow-up either..
As for the aduanas via post service that must be even more of a mysterious force.
You will just have to continue calling until maybe you find someone who 1.) Cares..and 2.)knows something.and 3.)will help..

Thanks for that-well the next time I send a card through-I am thinking to send by UPS Ground to EPS-Miami in a envelope-My thinking is that might get through at the package address vs. a regular first class mailing at their correspondence address that often gets lost and disappears.

I had planned for it to be sent by UPS overnight Worldwide Saver, but the sender could not get the address to fit on the shipping label at the UPS Store there in the U.S. I have never had that problem with addresses here in DR with UPS, when sending stuff out.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for that-well the next time I send a card through-I am thinking to send by UPS Ground to EPS-Miami in a envelope-My thinking is that might get through at the package address vs. a regular first class mailing at their correspondence address that often gets lost and disappears.

I had planned for it to be sent by UPS overnight Worldwide Saver, but the sender could not get the address to fit on the shipping label at the UPS Store there in the U.S. I have never had that problem with addresses here in DR with UPS, when sending stuff out.

Here is what you can do.

Send anything you want by US Postal system to your Miami courier package address. May be cheaper than UPS ground and probably just as quick.

Do not use the EPS regular mail post box address. Mail addressed to the PO Box tends to take longer to be delivered to the DR and there is usually no way to track it inside EPS - It just shows up sometime (you have to keep checking to see if if it has arrived). Usually much quicker than with inposdum but it can still take much longer than one would expect.

If you are using FedEX, UPS or DHL etc to get something here that is really important, do not use your home address. Have the package delivered by the "Big Boys" to your EPS office here in the DR and held for pickup. Probably a good idea to have your EPS Acct # on the package somewhere. No extra charges to you and these couriers stop at the EPS offices everyday anyway to pickup outbound shipments. If you wish to contact EPS and have them deliver the package to you instead of you picking it up, that is up to you but may incur additional charges as it's not really an EPS shipment per se.

Ideally, avoid any use of inposdum unless you are testing the system with an empty envelop just for the fun of it. Avoid using your home address as the destination for your packages originating outside the country. Anytime you rely on a business here to show up at your front door, you are risking a delay or worse. Use your EPS package address for everything that you want to receive in less than a week. Use whatever method you'd like to get your stuff to EPS in Miami. I prefer a delivery method that results in a delivery confirmation of some sort in Miami so I know when to start supervising EPS's handling of the item until it arrives here in the DR for me to go pick up.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Here is what you can do.

Send anything you want by US Postal system to your Miami courier package address. May be cheaper than UPS ground and probably just as quick.

Do not use the EPS regular mail post box address. Mail addressed to the PO Box tends to take longer to be delivered to the DR and there is usually no way to track it inside EPS - It just shows up sometime (you have to keep checking to see if if it has arrived). . Use your EPS package address for everything that you want to receive in less than a week.

Use whatever method you'd like to get your stuff to EPS in Miami. I prefer a delivery method that results in a delivery confirmation of some sort in Miami so I know when to start supervising EPS's handling of the item until it arrives here in the DR for me to go pick up.

Canadian Gringo is right. In spite of the holiday on Monday, I received a letter on Thursday that was mailed from the US on the 25th of April. It was mailed to the EPS package address and arrived very quickly.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Here is what you can do.

Do not use the EPS regular mail post box address. Mail addressed to the PO Box tends to take longer to be delivered to the DR and there is usually no way to track it inside EPS - It just shows up sometime (you have to keep checking to see if if it has arrived). Usually much quicker than with inposdum but it can still take much longer than one would expect.

If you are using FedEX, UPS or DHL etc to get something here that is really important, do not use your home address. Have the package delivered by the "Big Boys" to your EPS office here in the DR and held for pickup. Probably a good idea to have your EPS Acct # on the package somewhere. No extra charges to you and these couriers stop at the EPS offices everyday anyway to pickup outbound shipments. If you wish to contact EPS and have them deliver the package to you instead of you picking it up, that is up to you but may incur additional charges as it's not really an EPS shipment per se.

Ideally, avoid any use of inposdum unless you are testing the system with an empty envelop just for the fun of it. Avoid using your home address as the destination for your packages originating outside the country. Anytime you rely on a business here to show up at your front door, you are risking a delay or worse. Use your EPS package address for everything that you want to receive in less than a week. Use whatever method you'd like to get your stuff to EPS in Miami. I prefer a delivery method that results in a delivery confirmation of some sort in Miami so I know when to start supervising EPS's handling of the item until it arrives here in the DR for me to go pick up.

Unfortunately, what happened in my case here, I directed the sender to mail it out to my address in DR by UPS Worldwide Saver over night. Instead, the sender mailed it out through USPS Express Priority Mail International with the explanation that UPS could not fit the address on the shipping label. Once they emailed me with that info, there wasn't anything I could do about it other than hope and pray-LOL.

You are absolutely correct that one of the best ways is to send the mail is in an envelope to EPS Miami package address by UPS-Fedex, but not the correspondence address-although I have received mail through there PO Box address, but it take a lot longer and less reliable for certain.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've found if something is sent to you at your correct physical address, it will reach you pretty quick if the sender sends it via registered mail with signature receipt required and your phone number on the label.

They can't just sit on a signature required package, they've got to confirm the receipt.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I've found if something is sent to you at your correct physical address, it will reach you pretty quick if the sender sends it via registered mail with signature receipt required and your phone number on the label.

They can't just sit on a signature required package, they've got to confirm the receipt.

That's all true, but it's starting to look like something really stupid here and not even having to do with Aduanas at all.

What it appears to be is that Inposdom only brings the mail from SDQ to its principal sorting facility every Monday of the week. What happened last Monday? Holiday. So all of the mail for almost two weeks could have been sitting there until it is finally brought over tomorrow to the sorting facility. Often, these are the type of inefficiencies that you experience here in DR and hence why it is imperative to use DHL-Fedex-UPS or EPS-MBE from Miami. Never send by USPS-only unless it is their Global Guaranteed service, which uses Fedex anyways.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Credit card companies that are paying attention won't send to freight-forwarders.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Credit card companies that are paying attention won't send to freight-forwarders.

Well I have it sent to another address in the U.S. and then they forward in an envelope to EPS by UPS Ground. Well that's the future plan anyways.

Still waiting here now for Insposdom to deliver-It's been 6 business days since it arrived at SDQ. I called their office and they told me it could take as many as 12 business days. For the price of this service from USPS, it really makes no sense whatsoever-relatively very expensive for what it is even compared to UPS or Fedex over night.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

When you say freight forwarders, are you referring to mailbox forwarders?

I've always received all my cards by mailbox forwarders.

Status
Not open for further replies.