Amet

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the right thread. I just found out that the fine for cell phones, seat belts, red lights and I think helmets is now $5000 DR. I know because my friend just got one in POP. No seat belt. Just letting people know. I never heard about the change. Keep Safe.

Jan 7, 2016
Those are the FEW traffic laws that AMET can enforce, so they have to charge large penalties...otherwise, they'd be totally unneeded!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm not sure if this is the right thread. I just found out that the fine for cell phones, seat belts, red lights and I think helmets is now $5000 DR. I know because my friend just got one in POP. No seat belt. Just letting people know. I never heard about the change. Keep Safe.

That's new to me, too. Last I heard, fines for those things(except red lights)was 1600 or 1700 pesos(?).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A whole list of new fines was circulating about two months ago, let me see if I can find it back. 

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

Ouch. That's a big hit, but if it helps cut the carnage so be it. Something has to change.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm all for it. Anything that can help stop the needless accidents here is a good thing. Funny thou you can still drive will drinking a cocktail with no fine.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Here's an article about the supposed new fines, which (at that moment) were declared false by Amet.

http://www.teleradioamerica.com/201...-que-circula-en-tarifas-de-multas-son-falsas/

If the new fines are now in function then 5000 pesos for no seatbelt seems steep, would this apply to carro público drivers too............?

This is the fine structure according to Amet webpage, valid since August 2016:

https://amet.gob.do/index.php/tarifario-multas-amet/

Too bad we can't make citizens arrests against this fine structure. I could have made over 30K in pesos just this am!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Meaningless when so many vehicles are allowed to have dark windows.

Apparently they have been handing out fines for that too, according to complaints I read on twitter since the general of Amet also drives with blinded windows. 

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Makes perfect sense to me, while driving on the wrong side of the road drunk, weaving in and out of traffic and parking on the sidewalk is perfectly legal.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
what difference does it make what the fine is ...if they don't give out tickets ....how many drivers blow through red lights without a care in the world .....how many drive around without helmets ..either for themselves or the wife and kids
someone some day has to try to put a stop to the madness

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Have they also published a list on what days and what hours certain laws will be inforced?
A list like
Monday....helmet day
Tuesday... red light and stop sign day
Wednesday... free day, anything goes
Thursday... one way street directons
Friday only till noon or so... driving on the correct side of the street day.
All laws will be in effect from 9am or so till 4pm when AMET all goes off duty

this would make our lives so much easier :)

Bob K

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Most countries already have most of those laws.  There will not be immediate compliance but if AMET is persistent and keeps issuing tickets, people will comply and the horrifuc rate of traffic fatalities will decrease.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not sure if this still applies but a few years ago my friend was ticketed for talking on his cell phone.

The oddity was , he was on speaker, hands free.
The police deemed that 'talking on the phone ' and fined him.

I can see that happening..... not beyond the realm of possibility 

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I think one should go check if you have picked up any fines on the AMET site. Apparently fines are being issued if an agent see
a violation and takes the placa number for example crossing a red light or parking in the wrong place.......see below. It appears a lot of people have discovered they have outstanding fines according to this article last week.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...4/usuarios-acusan-a-amet-de-inventarse-multas

As for AMETs hours of working, I have been educated that it is until 7pm which fits in with what I have seen in the evening rush hour. Does anybody know if the new law addresses the lack of traffic cops beyond that time?

AMET appears to be gradually changing for the good being more thorough and frankly honest, but they will never be able to do the same job that we expats expect from traffic cops in our home country, because of reasons such as mobility and technology shortfalls. And two large placas at the front and back of a car like in the UK would make it much easier to record the numerous infractions when drivers don't stop.

Education of drivers, better testing and higher penalties including the application of the points penalty system must also follow.

And expats above all should respect the law too other wise it is hypocrisy ridiculing Dominicans violating the law. And so understand you can't drive here legally after 90 continuous days in the country on a foreign license and you insurance is almost certainly invalid without a currently active driving license.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think one should go check if you have picked up any fines on the AMET site. Apparently fines are being issued if an agent see
a violation and takes the placa number for example crossing a red light or parking in the wrong place.......see below. It appears a lot of people have discovered they have outstanding fines according to this article last week.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...4/usuarios-acusan-a-amet-de-inventarse-multas

As for AMETs hours of working, I have been educated that it is until 7pm which fits in with what I have seen in the evening rush hour. Does anybody know if the new law addresses the lack of traffic cops beyond that time?

AMET appears to be gradually changing for the good being more thorough and frankly honest, but they will never be able to do the same job that we expats expect from traffic cops in our home country, because of reasons such as mobility and technology shortfalls. And two large placas at the front and back of a car like in the UK would make it much easier to record the numerous infractions when drivers don't stop.

Education of drivers, better testing and higher penalties including the application of the points penalty system must also follow.

And expats above all should respect the law too other wise it is hypocrisy ridiculing Dominicans violating the law. And so understand you can't drive here legally after 90 continuous days in the country on a foreign license and you insurance is almost certainly invalid without a currently active driving license.

I did check and have one fine for driving with an expired license, which I indeed really got, I thought I paid it but might as well not have done it.

A problem with the fines by plate is the high amount of cars being sold and not transferred. Myself I have still a vehicle on my name I sold in 2005, just before I left the country to come back in 2010. My wife has also still several vehicles on her name. Big risk ofcourse, I always plan to do the required process to fix it, but never get to it.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

Are helmets and seat belts required for passengers as well as drivers?