purchasing a cellular phone

dee

Mar 6, 2002
Hi! I'm from Canada and I would like to purchase a cellular phone here in canada as a gift for someone in the DR. Is there any special type I need to purchase. I was looking at a Motorola but I'm not familiar with analog or digital. Can someone help me?? Any suggestion?

Thanks

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
We dont use analog phone anymore.
It is not worth to by the phone in Canada since the cell phone here cost the same prices or cheaper.

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
To John, el ?nico...
Unfortunately, I don't believe you are correct. It depends on "where you are on the Island, what type of phone and with what cellular company you are with" to if it's analog &/or digital. I have the newest Samsung models and from La Romana to Santo Domingo, there are areas that show as analog. That is with Codetel AND Centennial.

But I have to agree with your response of don't buy in Canada...it's much cheaper here! You can now get some of the newest model phones when you trade up for less than RD$1,000.00 that's less than US$60.00. I don't know of anywhere in the USA that a person can get a cell phone for that amount.

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
Lynncox,
your cellular phone is NOT analog. it is DUAL Band. and it shows analog when you are in a place where there is not digital signal.
Whole Santo domingo and any main cities are completely digital. some companies do not activate analog phones. you have to purchase a card to use it.
Jim hinsch. stay home tonite and save some cash to buy a digital.