Shipping a $200+ amazon item with a courier

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I need to order a Samsung cell phone that costs over $200 from Amazon. Amazon allows you to use a gift receipt that doesn't show the price. Can I get away with using a gift receipt, and submitting to the courier a receipt that shows the price was under $200?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've done it a couple of times and got away with it.  I've also been caught out.  You get really stung if you get caught out!

I did it with an Apple watch.  Purchase price was $260, used, off eBay.  i "doctored" the PayPal invoice and submitted it to CPS.  They opened up the package and the seller put an invoice in the package, even though I asked him not to.  I was banged to rights.  Cost me over 9,000 pesos in shipping and charges!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I've done it a couple of times and got away with it.  I've also been caught out.  You get really stung if you get caught out!

I did it with an Apple watch.  Purchase price was $260, used, off eBay.  i "doctored" the PayPal invoice and submitted it to CPS.  They opened up the package and the seller put an invoice in the package, even though I asked him not to.  I was banged to rights.  Cost me over 9,000 pesos in shipping and charges!

I believe this topic has been covered thoroughly. You need to have a receipt showing the value of the items otherwise it will be held up. Customs will probably assign a much higher value to this item and you will end up paying more tax than you have to.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I believe this topic has been covered thoroughly. You need to have a receipt showing the value of the items otherwise it will be held up. Customs will probably assign a much higher value to this item and you will end up paying more tax than you have to.

LT, did you miss the part of the OP where a receipt, although doctored, will be supplied?

I need to order a Samsung cell phone that costs over $200 from Amazon. Amazon allows you to use a gift receipt that doesn't show the price. Can I get away with using a gift receipt, and submitting to the courier a receipt that shows the price was under $200?

Reading is fundamental has also been covered thoroughly.:ermm:

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Might be hard to get away with because if the receipt looks suspicious it would be too easy to check the price especially ordering from Amazon. My guess these shippers know every trick in the book that has been tried. The shipper most likely knows exactly what a receipt from Amazon should look like.

Just me, but I wouldn't chance it.

Beeza's example is a bit strange because one would think they would first open the box before asking for a receipt. I don't doubt they will penalize you if you get caught submitting a doctored receipt.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Customs has its own list of prices so if your invoice appears to be conveniently below 200USD, they won't hesitate to use their list.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
How does that work though? I know have some packages come in through EPS that's worth more than $200 and I don't get taxed at all. Hell they barely look at it. Then there are others where I have pay a ridiculous fee. I guess it balances itself out for me

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Might be hard to get away with because if the receipt looks suspicious it would be too easy to check the price especially ordering from Amazon. My guess these shippers know every trick in the book that has been tried. The shipper most likely knows exactly what a receipt from Amazon should look like.

Just me, but I wouldn't chance it.

Beeza's example is a bit strange because one would think they would first open the box before asking for a receipt. I don't doubt they will penalize you if you get caught submitting a doctored receipt.

i order a lot of oddball crap through ebay, and i have a hookup with Caripack, wherein i select the item, pay them in pesos, and they order it. they supply the receipts. i am heavy into tube electronics, and order many tubes. Caripack just sends them a description and a price, because most of the time the customs guys have no idea what they are looking at. one regular 6dj8 tube can cost 10 dollars, while a rare, collector version can cost 500 dollars. customs cant tell the difference between them.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Amazon does not include invoices in packages they ship to your on-file address in the USA. At least none of my packages have had one. I have always had to download the invoice and submit it to the courier online. This you probably already know. I don't see why Amazon would include an invoice for a phone. Is this being shipped by Amazon or by a third party seller? Sure go ahead and check the gift receipt if you are so inclined.

Keep in mind, what you are attempting is not exactly righteous. If there is one thing Aduanas can identify and knows the value of it's a cell phone. You see, everyone in this country has at least of these things. I am also sure that they are able to look at your receipt and look up the same product on Amazon to confirm the retail price if they suspect something dodgy. Will they? I don't know, but I'm sure they can. In the end, if they don't like the price you've supplied they'll just consult their book of everything and assign a value based on what the book says. Generally all electronics will peek their curiosity especially if a recognizable name brand item sits before them that should cost more than the tax exempt limit.

In the end, you need to decide if saving the tax on an item that is $60 over the limit is worth the potential risk of being identified both by your courier company and Aduanas as someone who has tried to play fast and loose. Like trying to get through customs at an airport with more liquor than you are allowed, you may get away with it or you may not. If you are caught, you can expect a note on your profile, delays and extra scrutiny going forward. It's your call.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

My advice; don't do it.
It's fraud and you don't want to see the inside of a prison here....believe me!

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
for all your tax avoidance and tax evasion questions consult with DR1.COM ....and later we can all complain about the lawlessness in the d.r and how bad those thieving politicians are ...not to mention the corrupt cops
its only wrong when someone else does it ...lol

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
All my purchases through Amazon has always included the receipts. I have never had an issue with tax and shipping via Miami and delivered by Vimenpaq.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My advice; don't do it.
It's fraud and you don't want to see the inside of a prison here....believe me!

Prison? Seriously?

I have no compunction in trying to pull a fast one over customs. One of the most corrupt organisations in the country. I believe that inventing ways to not pay customs taxes should be encouraged. If you can get away with it, do it. You have nothing to lose other than a penalty of changing the item from a non-declarable item to a declarable one. The price can be steep and you will have a delay in receiving your item, that's all. But you certainly won't face any penal consequences over a cell phone.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Prison? Seriously?

I have no compunction in trying to pull a fast one over customs. One of the most corrupt organisations in the country. I believe that inventing ways to not pay customs taxes should be encouraged. If you can get away with it, do it. You have nothing to lose other than a penalty of changing the item from a non-declarable item to a declarable one. The price can be steep and you will have a delay in receiving your item, that's all. But you certainly won't face any penal consequences over a cell phone.

Beeza,

With all due respect. Why go through the hassle of trying to avoid paying the taxes due? If you don't want to pay taxes, you have a few options.

1. If it's small enough, have a trusted person bring it to you whenever they are visiting
2. Purchase it whenever you are in the US/Europe/Canada, etc.. and bring it with you

We can't complain about locals who are dishonest and always trying to pull a fast one and then we end up doing the same. In my humble opinion, it ain't worth the hassle and the headache due to the unfairness of customs.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Prison? Seriously?

It's fraud changing an official document they CAN charge you for......

But it's up to yourself, I just gave my advice.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How does that work though? I know have some packages come in through EPS that's worth more than $200 and I don't get taxed at all. Hell they barely look at it. Then there are others where I have pay a ridiculous fee. I guess it balances itself out for me

Sounds very Dominican to me.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
All imports require invoices.
All items over $200 are subject to customs duty.Amazon does not normally insert the invoice but it can be downloaded and sent to the courier service.Third part amazon sellers sometimes do include the invoice and some do not.Customs have their own value on most articles so a false invoice does not always succeed.

Talk to your courier service to find out if it is worth importing.Often you can buy here at the same price or cheaper.
It's not rocket science..