Home for Dog

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
My son and his wife are looking for a good home for their dog. It is a female mix. She has all shots and is spayed. She has been around children for several years and has always been great with my granddaughters. She is 6 years old and is a medium sized short haired dog.
I always thought she reminded me of Santa's Little Helper (The Simpson's dog).

P.M. me and I'll put you in touch with my son if you are interested or know someone else that might want her. . (they are located in the capital).

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Why don't they take the dog with them where ever they're going? Granddaughter will be very sad and so will the dog. :ermm:

They tried that. They had the opportunity to buy an apartment for a price that is way under market price. They knew it would be challenging with the dog but gave it 6 months. It isn't working out. The place is much smaller than the apartment they were renting. My granddaughters are 3 and 1 so I think they will get over it quickly.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Poor dog, going to lose possibly the only family it has known. I hope a loving forever home can be found.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
They tried that. They had the opportunity to buy an apartment for a price that is way under market price. They knew it would be challenging with the dog but gave it 6 months. It isn't working out. The place is much smaller than the apartment they were renting. My granddaughters are 3 and 1 so I think they will get over it quickly.

Hopefully they will find a good home for the poor dog. I would not have bought the home if the dog would not fit. He is part of the family. SMH

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

thankfully the apartment is big enough for the kids ....imagine if they had to give them up ...and warning toi the wife ...if you see him looking to downsize later ...you could be next out the door

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Hopefully they will find a good home for the poor dog. I would not have bought the home if the dog would not fit. He is part of the family. SMH

Unlike many people here on DR1 I do not see any animal equal to humane beings. Not that I need to make excuses for my son and his wife but having the ability to buy an brand new apartment (because of a great price) in a new building was not an opportunity to pass on.
UNLIKE me, who NEVER would have had a dog in ANY apartment they tried to make it work but it is not working out. I am thrilled for my visits that the dog will no longer be there.
I don't hate dogs (maybe cats) and God willing if I get my finca as planned I will have a few large dogs (I had an English Mastiff years ago and she was great) and even some cats but they will NOT be allowed in the house.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many people need to shed their pet when going to an apartment, an old age home... whatever

I value my pets highly... but not equal to me....
a pet is a pet.

The chore is to find a good home.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Unlike many people here on DR1 I do not see any animal equal to humane beings. Not that I need to make excuses for my son and his wife but having the ability to buy an brand new apartment (because of a great price) in a new building was not an opportunity to pass on.
UNLIKE me, who NEVER would have had a dog in ANY apartment they tried to make it work but it is not working out. I am thrilled for my visits that the dog will no longer be there.
I don't hate dogs (maybe cats) and God willing if I get my finca as planned I will have a few large dogs (I had an English Mastiff years ago and she was great) and even some cats but they will NOT be allowed in the house.

Excuse me for being ignorant, I live in a small apartment with my daughter, a dog and a cat. Got my dog when he was about 5 months old and he came from a traveler community. He had to get used to the apartment which took one night. The only thing is that I have to be a better domestic engineer now. ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I read it Frank, this particular dog isn't adjusting well to the apartment lifestyle.

My dogs might have trouble.... they are never contained except when workmen arrive...
and even then in an outside pen.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Unlike many people here on DR1 I do not see any animal equal to humane beings. Not that I need to make excuses for my son and his wife...............

You most definitely do not.

....they tried to make it work but it is not working out.......

Can't ask for more than that.

Come on peeps, save your personal K9 feelings for another thread. The couple is at least trying to find a home as opposed to taking the dog on a long walk and never have come on dr1 for help.

Just another example of dr1ers injecting their own feelings instead of giving assistance.............

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You most definitely do not.

Can't ask for more than that.

Come on peeps, save your personal K9 feelings for another thread. The couple is at least trying to find a home as opposed to taking the dog on a long walk and never have come on dr1 for help.

Just another example of dr1ers injecting their own feelings instead of giving assistance.............

I agree. DR is filled with dogs roaming the streets, many dumped there.  Kudos to them for trying to find a new home for the dog.

How about some photos Gary?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Dogs and apartments, lots of potential for issues to arise. Few are unsolvable. We know nothing about the issues surround this particular situation but having had many dogs of my own for over 30 years and working professionally with owner training for over 10, I'm approachable if this family would like some advice in giving the situation one final try. A move can be stressful for pets.

Dogs need attention more so in an apartment where they cannot amuse themselves chasing bugs and lizards in the yard all day. Dogs need to get some exercise to release energy and their bowels 4 times a day, every six hours is not unreasonable and anyone who has "had to go" and can't knows how uncomfortable that can be. Few people relish the idea of getting out of bed and heading out for a walk before the coffee is ready. Dog owners need to have the tools and skills to do basic maintenance like clipping toe nails so the clicking on the floors doesn't drive them nuts. Most importantly, patience. Dogs are pack animals and want to please provided they understand their place in the pack and unwanted behaviors are curtailed and good behaviors reinforced continually. The dog is 100% dependent on its people and they are usually the source of many of the issues.

In the end, a dog in an apartment requires the same amount of work but requires more time and effort that can really limit one's freedom to be away from the home for extended periods of time. If the people are able and committed to meeting the needs of the animal, it should be possible for everyone to reach a happy place. If one's lifestyle does not allow for the time and consistent attention to the needs of a pet, then re-homing is the best option for all involved. It is much better to come to this conclusion sooner rather than later. A dog is like having a perpetual two year old child. They will always set the agenda, need things that sometimes cost money, and curtail any notion that you can leave for the beach at noon and not come home until 10pm without finding a puddle and a pile on the floor. When circumstances change, sometimes, people just can't meet the needs of the animal any longer, unfortunate but reality nonetheless. I wish this family luck in either resolving the issues or finding a good home where their beloved pet can thrive.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Then it's the owners and not the dog. Therefore maybe better they don't have one. ;)

You REALLY don't know what the heck you are talking about. They adopted this homeless dog from one of those organizations that do that work. The dog got regular vet visits, ate special food and was treated very well. This was their 3rd apartment with the dog.
Like I previously stated I am THRILLED they are getting rid of it and don't give a rats a** what you, in your ignorance think about the situation.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You REALLY don't know what the heck you are talking about. They adopted this homeless dog from one of those organizations that do that work. The dog got regular vet visits, ate special food and was treated very well. This was their 3rd apartment with the dog.
Like I previously stated I am THRILLED they are getting rid of it and don't give a rats a** what you, in your ignorance think about the situation.

That is what I call getting right to the point. Very well said,,,,,,,,,,

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dogs and apartments, lots of potential for issues to arise. Few are unsolvable. We know nothing about the issues surround this particular situation but having had many dogs of my own for over 30 years and working professionally with owner training for over 10, I'm approachable if this family would like some advice in giving the situation one final try. A move can be stressful for pets.

Dogs need attention more so in an apartment where they cannot amuse themselves chasing bugs and lizards in the yard all day. Dogs need to get some exercise to release energy and their bowels 4 times a day, every six hours is not unreasonable and anyone who has "had to go" and can't knows how uncomfortable that can be. Few people relish the idea of getting out of bed and heading out for a walk before the coffee is ready. Dog owners need to have the tools and skills to do basic maintenance like clipping toe nails so the clicking on the floors doesn't drive them nuts. Most importantly, patience. Dogs are pack animals and want to please provided they understand their place in the pack and unwanted behaviors are curtailed and good behaviors reinforced continually. The dog is 100% dependent on its people and they are usually the source of many of the issues.

In the end, a dog in an apartment requires the same amount of work but requires more time and effort that can really limit one's freedom to be away from the home for extended periods of time. If the people are able and committed to meeting the needs of the animal, it should be possible for everyone to reach a happy place. If one's lifestyle does not allow for the time and consistent attention to the needs of a pet, then re-homing is the best option for all involved. It is much better to come to this conclusion sooner rather than later. A dog is like having a perpetual two year old child. They will always set the agenda, need things that sometimes cost money, and curtail any notion that you can leave for the beach at noon and not come home until 10pm without finding a puddle and a pile on the floor. When circumstances change, sometimes, people just can't meet the needs of the animal any longer, unfortunate but reality nonetheless. I wish this family luck in either resolving the issues or finding a good home where their beloved pet can thrive.
This is exactly it. Dogs are very adaptable. It's an owner issue. Dogs are den animals and enjoy having their private space in their crate. Dogs do not thrive with freedom. Dogs thrive being well trained and having a close relationship with their owners. I have known more honest dogs than people. To be fair to the ops relatives most people do not understand their dogs or have a clue how to train them. A well trained dog forms a wonderful bond and is a joy. I am admittedly passionate about dogs.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Uh, oh, are we going to fight about dogs? Rehoming the dog that's not a good fit in this fashion is a good thing. Lots of people abandon their pets or drop them at a kill shelter. These folks are doing the right thing. No need for criticism and I don't think it was intended.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My son just recently got a rescue pit bull from California where it was going to be put down. What a wonderful dog, doesn't bark, ignores other dogs unless they invade his space, listens very well and is very trainable. Follows my DIL around like they are attached at the hip. He is a dog that craves human touch, and is very gentle with kids.
I love dogs as well but have no time or room for one right now. Maybe when we retire and move to a place with a yard.