Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Food

Hi, two questions.1. I'm returning to the DR and want to put a small rice cooker in my luggage.

I don't have any idea how this will go over with DR/US customs. I haven't seen a place where I can get all the information I need on the ITBIS/impuesto Selectivo al Consumo/Arancel on the web. I remember a few months back there was a major strike by shipping workers and a new tax that mentioned small appliances, but can't find the info at this moment. Can anyone tell me which websites list which items are exempted or taxed? I don't know if they are easy to buy at La Sirena, etc., or not, so I wanted to pack one to be sure. (I don't know the Dominican spanish word for 'rice cooker' and "olla erracera" is not helping at the moment.
    2. Can anyone recommend grocery markets to shop in Santo Domingo that would stock overseas food stuffs? Specifically: Jewish (Matzo), Scandinavian (Rivita), Asian (Curry, Sushi Rice)?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo646 View Post
    Hi, two questions.1. I'm returning to the DR and want to put a small rice cooker in my luggage.

I don't have any idea how this will go over with DR/US customs. I haven't seen a place where I can get all the information I need on the ITBIS/impuesto Selectivo al Consumo/Arancel on the web. I remember a few months back there was a major strike by shipping workers and a new tax that mentioned small appliances, but can't find the info at this moment. Can anyone tell me which websites list which items are exempted or taxed? I don't know if they are easy to buy at La Sirena, etc., or not, so I wanted to pack one to be sure. (I don't know the Dominican spanish word for 'rice cooker' and "olla erracera" is not helping at the moment.
    2. Can anyone recommend grocery markets to shop in Santo Domingo that would stock overseas food stuffs? Specifically: Jewish (Matzo), Scandinavian (Rivita), Asian (Curry, Sushi Rice)?
    those things are sold everywhere, and they used to be cheaper than a broom. i hear the prices have gone up a bit, but they are still way below the 200 usd limit.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've brought back a slow cooker, a sewing machine, a bike, etc from the US and Canada without ever having to pay a dime. As mentioned before, you can find rice cookers in the DR if you prefer to avoid the stress.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

You won't have any trouble with a rice cooker. I even threw an electric foot spa in a suitcase. 

Admin
    DR1.com

5. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have managed to bring in a couple of small flatscreen TV's and DVD players.
    I went through three Chinese rice cookers in three years, but then I got one made by Hitachi used in a yard sale and it has lasted me for six years so far, so quality is definitely important.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if this seems a bit off topic, but I took a rice cooker with me when I visited my daughter in the US. It was in a checked bag and ended up getting me flagged for additional security action after the bag was x-rayed. I was at the gate and was paged to go with an airport employee because security wanted to examine my bag more closely. The final decision was that it could travel in my bag. They couldn't tell from the x-ray exactly what it was and the visible circuitry was a concern.

I brought it back with me when I returned to the DR and no one said a word about it when I cleared Customs.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo646 View Post

For your question #2 if you are in the capital Super Fresh Market would probably be your best bet for the food items you are looking for.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

1. rice cooker in luggage no problemo. you can also buy them here but the quality and choice are rather miserable. we have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-.../dp/B000MAKVLQ and it was shipped from the states.
    2. bravo and el nacional all have good selection of hipster goodies. there is also a weirdo mecca store called super fresh market on tiradentes with overpriced imported foods.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention price. I got my rice cooker in the US at a discount store for $15. Black and Decker. Same cooker here will run over 1500-2000 pesos. Blenders are not bad used here and easy to find. I still have a bunch of things to bring down including a Kitchen Aide.

I pack my checked luggage in $10 storage totes and seal them with zip ties through the edge of the top after they get scanned. I predrill the holes beforehand. It's a bit of a chore, but I pack them to just under max weight. Just put "household goods" on your customs form. The totes cost $30 here, and mi esposa loves them.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Checked Luggage;Totes;Household Goods

I totally agree. But, I got confused when you mentioned storage totes and predrilling holes and getting under max weight (50 pounds). Where can I buy these storage totes? Can you please tell me more about the process? I've got one of those large Samsonite luggages (28") and I'm going to pay the $35 for a third luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Not to mention price. I got my rice cooker in the US at a discount store for $15. Black and Decker. Same cooker here will run over 1500-2000 pesos. Blenders are not bad used here and easy to find. I still have a bunch of things to bring down including a Kitchen Aide.

I pack my checked luggage in $10 storage totes and seal them with zip ties through the edge of the top after they get scanned. I predrill the holes beforehand. It's a bit of a chore, but I pack them to just under max weight. Just put "household goods" on your customs form. The totes cost $30 here, and mi esposa loves them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast