Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ship everything wit my man JB Embarque Mudanzas in the BX I never had any problems or items getting so called lose'
    3 boxs to SDQ $ 180

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo646 View Post
    I totally agree. But, I got confused when you mentioned storage totes and predrilling holes and getting under max weight (50 pounds). Where can I buy these storage totes? Can you please tell me more about the process? I've got one of those large Samsonite luggages (28") and I'm going to pay the $35 for a third luggage.

You can get these at Target, though a bit more than the $10 I paid. I think it's the 35 gallon size. They're just under the size limit for checked luggage. I drill 1/4" holes down through the lid at four corners then use zip ties to secure the lid, which would pop off in transit otherwise. I also went around with saran wrap. It has to weigh under 50 pounds or you have to pay extra(like $50) to check it. $30 for a third piece is cheap. Through United, they wanted $40 for the second piece and over $100 for the third. You can't put the zip ties on or wrap it until they scan it in case they want to inspect the contents. Not something you want to do at JFK or Newark.
    Last edited by PeterInBrat; 05-15-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo646 View Post
    Hi, two questions.1. I'm returning to the DR and want to put a small rice cooker in my luggage.

I don't have any idea how this will go over with DR/US customs. I haven't seen a place where I can get all the information I need on the ITBIS/impuesto Selectivo al Consumo/Arancel on the web. I remember a few months back there was a major strike by shipping workers and a new tax that mentioned small appliances, but can't find the info at this moment. Can anyone tell me which websites list which items are exempted or taxed? I don't know if they are easy to buy at La Sirena, etc., or not, so I wanted to pack one to be sure. (I don't know the Dominican spanish word for 'rice cooker' and "olla erracera" is not helping at the moment.
    2. Can anyone recommend grocery markets to shop in Santo Domingo that would stock overseas food stuffs? Specifically: Jewish (Matzo), Scandinavian (Rivita), Asian (Curry, Sushi Rice)?

Honestly do not waste your luggage space with rice cooker. You get them in lot of supermarkets. Also for asian products, you have china town and you find curry powder, sushi rice etc. Try supermercado bravo or supermercado amigo for other products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12