Food

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Hi, two questions.1. I'm returning to the DR and want to put a small rice cooker in my luggage.

I don't have any idea how this will go over with DR/US customs. I haven't seen a place where I can get all the information I need on the ITBIS/impuesto Selectivo al Consumo/Arancel on the web. I remember a few months back there was a major strike by shipping workers and a new tax that mentioned small appliances, but can't find the info at this moment. Can anyone tell me which websites list which items are exempted or taxed? I don't know if they are easy to buy at La Sirena, etc., or not, so I wanted to pack one to be sure. (I don't know the Dominican spanish word for 'rice cooker' and "olla erracera" is not helping at the moment.
2. Can anyone recommend grocery markets to shop in Santo Domingo that would stock overseas food stuffs? Specifically: Jewish (Matzo), Scandinavian (Rivita), Asian (Curry, Sushi Rice)?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi, two questions.1. I'm returning to the DR and want to put a small rice cooker in my luggage.

I don't have any idea how this will go over with DR/US customs. I haven't seen a place where I can get all the information I need on the ITBIS/impuesto Selectivo al Consumo/Arancel on the web. I remember a few months back there was a major strike by shipping workers and a new tax that mentioned small appliances, but can't find the info at this moment. Can anyone tell me which websites list which items are exempted or taxed? I don't know if they are easy to buy at La Sirena, etc., or not, so I wanted to pack one to be sure. (I don't know the Dominican spanish word for 'rice cooker' and "olla erracera" is not helping at the moment.
2. Can anyone recommend grocery markets to shop in Santo Domingo that would stock overseas food stuffs? Specifically: Jewish (Matzo), Scandinavian (Rivita), Asian (Curry, Sushi Rice)?

those things are sold everywhere, and they used to be cheaper than a broom. i hear the prices have gone up a bit, but they are still way below the 200 usd limit.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've brought back a slow cooker, a sewing machine, a bike, etc from the US and Canada without ever having to pay a dime. As mentioned before, you can find rice cookers in the DR if you prefer to avoid the stress.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You won't have any trouble with a rice cooker. I even threw an electric foot spa in a suitcase. 

Aug 6, 2006
I have managed to bring in a couple of small flatscreen TV's and DVD players.
I went through three Chinese rice cookers in three years, but then I got one made by Hitachi used in a yard sale and it has lasted me for six years so far, so quality is definitely important.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Sorry if this seems a bit off topic, but I took a rice cooker with me when I visited my daughter in the US. It was in a checked bag and ended up getting me flagged for additional security action after the bag was x-rayed. I was at the gate and was paged to go with an airport employee because security wanted to examine my bag more closely. The final decision was that it could travel in my bag. They couldn't tell from the x-ray exactly what it was and the visible circuitry was a concern.

I brought it back with me when I returned to the DR and no one said a word about it when I cleared Customs.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015

For your question #2 if you are in the capital Super Fresh Market would probably be your best bet for the food items you are looking for.

May 29, 2006
Not to mention price. I got my rice cooker in the US at a discount store for $15. Black and Decker. Same cooker here will run over 1500-2000 pesos. Blenders are not bad used here and easy to find. I still have a bunch of things to bring down including a Kitchen Aide.

I pack my checked luggage in $10 storage totes and seal them with zip ties through the edge of the top after they get scanned. I predrill the holes beforehand. It's a bit of a chore, but I pack them to just under max weight. Just put "household goods" on your customs form. The totes cost $30 here, and mi esposa loves them.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Checked Luggage;Totes;Household Goods

I totally agree. But, I got confused when you mentioned storage totes and predrilling holes and getting under max weight (50 pounds). Where can I buy these storage totes? Can you please tell me more about the process? I've got one of those large Samsonite luggages (28") and I'm going to pay the $35 for a third luggage.
Not to mention price. I got my rice cooker in the US at a discount store for $15. Black and Decker. Same cooker here will run over 1500-2000 pesos. Blenders are not bad used here and easy to find. I still have a bunch of things to bring down including a Kitchen Aide.

I pack my checked luggage in $10 storage totes and seal them with zip ties through the edge of the top after they get scanned. I predrill the holes beforehand. It's a bit of a chore, but I pack them to just under max weight. Just put "household goods" on your customs form. The totes cost $30 here, and mi esposa loves them.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Just ship everything wit my man JB Embarque Mudanzas in the BX I never had any problems or items getting so called lose'
3 boxs to SDQ $ 180

May 29, 2006
I totally agree. But, I got confused when you mentioned storage totes and predrilling holes and getting under max weight (50 pounds). Where can I buy these storage totes? Can you please tell me more about the process? I've got one of those large Samsonite luggages (28") and I'm going to pay the $35 for a third luggage.

You can get these at Target, though a bit more than the $10 I paid. I think it's the 35 gallon size. They're just under the size limit for checked luggage. I drill 1/4" holes down through the lid at four corners then use zip ties to secure the lid, which would pop off in transit otherwise. I also went around with saran wrap. It has to weigh under 50 pounds or you have to pay extra(like $50) to check it. $30 for a third piece is cheap. Through United, they wanted $40 for the second piece and over $100 for the third. You can't put the zip ties on or wrap it until they scan it in case they want to inspect the contents. Not something you want to do at JFK or Newark.

Last edited:

KITTU

May 13, 2015

Honestly do not waste your luggage space with rice cooker. You get them in lot of supermarkets. Also for asian products, you have china town and you find curry powder, sushi rice etc. Try supermercado bravo or supermercado amigo for other products.