Is there a cash flow problem ?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
In my recent driving around the capital and the east, I can not fail to notice that many government projects have stopped ,,at least 6 schools and several road repair projects . In addition the promised pay rise for the police has not yet taken place and CAASAD is making messes all over SD and not finishing their work .At the same time today one US dollar ,weak against other currencies today , was buying 47.4 pesos .
Maybe there is no connection , but I would like to know, from someone in the know if there is a short term cash crisis in the DR.
So sorry that I can not comment on the north coast which must need a dreadful lot of repair work after the recent monster rains ..is anything being spent at present up north

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a lot of work carried on the north coast but this is not necessarily an indication of cash flow being redirected there as the government takes a while to pay their bills. on the other hand millions upon millions have been spent on short term help and solutions such as food, mattresses and emergency repairs. and now the south has taken a bad hit with the rains too.

when it rains, it pours. literally.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
You should come and see the car park in the Zona Colonial at Plaza Espana! 3 years and counting... every month they put a few things up. Should be finished in the next 5 years or so!

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
There might be some short term cashflow issues at a project or city level but the country has access to lending facilities that should prevent any major liquidity issues. I would be surprised if there is more to it

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Heading from Santiago to Puerto Plata 2 weeks ago the crews were out working on the road expansion project which, although a pain in the a** in the short run will be great when completed.
Here in Santiago, as mentioned in another thread, the city continues to spend money on keeping the city clean plus I recently noticed some newly paved roads (something that usually has to wait for election time).
Do you know if they have halted work on finishing the eastern half of the circumvulcion (?? Spelling) for S.D. I saw where the mayor restated that as soon as completed all those big trucks that pass through the capitol will be compelled to use it, which will be great.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Heading from Santiago to Puerto Plata 2 weeks ago the crews were out working on the road expansion project which, although a pain in the a** in the short run will be great when completed.
Here in Santiago, as mentioned in another thread, the city continues to spend money on keeping the city clean plus I recently noticed some newly paved roads (something that usually has to wait for election time).
Do you know if they have halted work on finishing the eastern half of the circumvulcion (?? Spelling) for S.D. I saw where the mayor restated that as soon as completed all those big trucks that pass through the capitol will be compelled to use it, which will be great.

We didn't see much going on at the eastern end of the circunvalicion, but lots going on at the western end with new on and off ramps, lighting and landscaping. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Holy Sunday Batman

I was in Santo Domingo a couple of days ago. I hate going there. The traffic was the worst of any place I ever visited. It took 30 minutes to go three blocks. Did I say I hate Santo Domingo?

As we went from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata, I marveled at the road work. Scattered sections of a few hundred meters of cutting into the mountain sides, preparing them so that mud slides would cover the road in a heavy rain, then kilometers of nothing being done and many homes that will need to be destroyed through eminent domain. Is there any schedule on how long they think it will take to get four lines between Puerto Plata and the turn off to Santiago where it is already four lanes?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/ciudad/circunvalacion-seguira-en-junio-NC7037429

They are about to start work on the Villa Mella to La Victoria to Samana Highway section in June or July for completion in 2020/2021.

So the traffic problems on the Malecon with heavy trucks will be with us for a few more years. Been made a big issue by the Mayor of the National District( http://hoy.com.do/collado-insiste-en-sacar-camiones-del-malecon-de-sd/ ) who seems to be doing a good job in the parts of the city I frequent, and apart from the recent issues with garbage collection due to dump closure, my impression is that he is getting on with his municipal duties positively and better than the previous mayor.

In relation to the OP, I have read however that some of the other Santo Domingo municipalities are struggling.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes there is a cashflow problem, the government medical diagnostic center here in Jarabacoa construction stopped about a year ago due to non-payment by the government, same with the school construction projects. Two different ministries.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Has there ever not been a cashflow problem? Well maybe when Balaguer.

On David Collado compared to Roberto Salcedo, I think Roberto was doing a better job. DN was cleaner, less pot holes (the situation improved a little bit but around Christmas 2016 driving in  SD was like an obstacle course) among other things but ofcourse Collado is only working since August 2016. Maybe he improves. 

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Whereas in Sosua, it's full-steam-ahead to re-tarmac the roads in downtown EL Batey that are in perfectly good condition!

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
North coast has been cleaning and repairing for some time now.
Cabarete and Sosua have been getting new asphalt, and clean up crews can be seen regular.

Cash flow... hmm... Government bond interest payments are now well over 50% of the tax colected, the other 50% goes to payroll....