Guayabal, best road to get there from Azua / Bani ?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Want to go to Guayabal. Need advice how to access a good road to get there from Azua or Bani, best option. PJT coming from San Cristobal.

Regards,

PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Thanks caribmike, The road(s) have been noted. However, hoping someone has had experience going there. Google maps OK, but do not give sufficient eye level and road feel information.

Regards,

PJT

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Yes the OP takes the road to Barahona from San Cristobel through Bani and Azua. 20 or so kms after Azua he takes a right fork to San Juan....there will be a police check at this well signposted intersection. Follow this road for another 15kms or so and take the right fork to Padre Las Casas.

It looks easy from the map to find the road to Guayabal, but my recollection when staying in Padre Las Casas a couple of years back was that it wasn't signposted and I was being given directions anyhow.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...9ff4eae70140919!8m2!3d18.733629!4d-70.9398192

At that time the road to Guayabal from Padre Las Casa was a dirt but well graded and a large bridge in construction over the river Las Cuevas. I believe some of this road has been surfaced and even the bridge is close to completion now, albeit it wasn't a difficult drive all the way to Guayabal at the time I went. Here is something recent on the roads/bridges in this area from MOPC: http://www.mopc.gob.do/noticias/avanzan-trabajos-de-construcción-carretera-padre-las-casas-bohechío/

All the roads to Padre Las Casa were good by the way.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yep. I drove the road until Bahia de las Aguilas a couple month ago. The road was good all the way.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is a lovely part of the country up in the hills by and beyond Padre Las Casas.

Azua Province is bit of a gem.

Slightly off topic, has anyone been to Playa La Caobita in Azua Province. Supposedly another lesser known gem with a new road to it.