Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Looking for input before I buy A/C unit

    I have a 236 square foot room with 9.5 foot ceiling, 4 foot windows on two of the walls protected with blackout curtains, room gets sun for the morning. I currently have a 12,000 BTU A/C unit, not an inverter type. I believe this one is 10 SEER. Anyway, I am considering buying a new inverter unit so I can have some power savings. An installer "professional installer" from Refripartes Puerto Plata recommended a 18,000 BTU unit, Lennox name brand. He says it has a 18 SEER rating but I have yet to confirm that for myself, which I will do before buying.  Price of unit is 34,000rd deinstall old unit 800RD install new unit 4000RD




    Here are my questions, concerns if anyone with some experience can help...




    Does 18,000BTU seem to large? All American BTU calculators show that a 12,000 unit should be more than fine.(20 BTU per square foot)




    Second: Anyone here have experience with Lennox mini split A/C units here in the DR? 




    Third: Any other suggestions, or comments on the stated prices (positive or negative).

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilywes View Post
    I have a 236 square foot room with 9.5 foot ceiling, 4 foot windows on two of the walls protected with blackout curtains, room gets sun for the morning. I currently have a 12,000 BTU A/C unit, not an inverter type. I believe this one is 10 SEER. Anyway, I am considering buying a new inverter unit so I can have some power savings. An installer "professional installer" from Refripartes Puerto Plata recommended a 18,000 BTU unit, Lennox name brand. He says it has a 18 SEER rating but I have yet to confirm that for myself, which I will do before buying.  Price of unit is 34,000rd deinstall old unit 800RD install new unit 4000RD




    Here are my questions, concerns if anyone with some experience can help...




    Does 18,000BTU seem to large? All American BTU calculators show that a 12,000 unit should be more than fine.(20 BTU per square foot)




    Second: Anyone here have experience with Lennox mini split A/C units here in the DR? 




    Third: Any other suggestions, or comments on the stated prices (positive or negative).
    For a room that size, 12,000 BTU is more than adequate. I have a 12,000 BTU unit in my 200 sq. ft. bedroom and it will easily get down to 65F in a short time and I have 8 ft wide triple sliding glass windows on the back wall that leak air like a sieve.

    Lennox is a good brand, but no experience with their split units.

  3. Likes wilywes, windeguy liked this post
  4. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29,679
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am in about the same situation for a room that is a bit larger at 352 sq feet, slightly lower ceiling and three 4 foot windows.

    When I previously shopped AC units for another bedroom, I found they just don't sell small capacity inverter units here. I think it is for that reason that they up sell you to a larger capacity unit than you need. Refripartes in POP sold us a Samsung 9,000 BTU unit that has worked for over a year now in our 200 sq ft bedroom.

    Lennox should be a good brand. People that have talked about AC units before recommend Mitsubishi models, but I don't see them for sale on the north coast.

    The most common brand is TGM. I live near enough to the ocean and replacement parts are a concern for my Samsung 9,000 BTU unit. For the new room I am just starting the search. I understand there is a TGM unit in a plastic casing, which may last longer in my area. And TGM parts are readily available.

    I was just in POP and saw a couple of different businesses that used Lennox split units, so if you go that way, hopefully their being more common means parts are available to repair them.

  5. Likes wilywes liked this post
  6. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I am in about the same situation for a room that is a bit larger at 352 sq feet, slightly lower ceiling and three 4 foot windows.

    When I previously shopped AC units for another bedroom, I found they just don't sell small capacity inverter units here. I think it is for that reason that they up sell you to a larger capacity unit than you need. Refripartes in POP sold us a Samsung 9,000 BTU unit that has worked for over a year now in our 200 sq ft bedroom.

    Lennox should be a good brand. People that have talked about AC units before recommend Mitsubishi models, but I don't see them for sale on the north coast.

    The most common brand is TGM. I live near enough to the ocean and replacement parts are a concern for my Samsung 9,000 BTU unit. For the new room I am just starting the search. I understand there is a TGM unit in a plastic casing, which may last longer in my area. And TGM parts are readily available.

    I was just in POP and saw a couple of different businesses that used Lennox split units, so if you go that way, hopefully their being more common means parts are available to repair them.
    I currently have an Excell unit (made by same company as TGM) with the plastic case. I have used it for 3-4 years, near the ocean and it is in great shape still. The installer actually commented on how good it looked while he was here just the other day. Def like the plastic casing.    

  7. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29,679
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilywes View Post
    I currently have an Excell unit (made by same company as TGM) with the plastic case. I have used it for 3-4 years, near the ocean and it is in great shape still. The installer actually commented on how good it looked while he was here just the other day. Def like the plastic casing.    
    That is good to know that there are other names for the same unit (just like the small motos sold here all made by the same company, yet with 10 different brand names)

    Where did you purchase the Excell unit and what is its SEER rating?

  8. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilywes View Post
    I currently have an Excell unit (made by same company as TGM) with the plastic case. I have used it for 3-4 years, near the ocean and it is in great shape still. The installer actually commented on how good it looked while he was here just the other day. Def like the plastic casing.    
    The TGM with the plastic case also has a special copper alloy condenser coil that does not oxiidize as rapidly as the aluminum coils on the standard unit. That's why it costs more, too. You're not just paying for a plastic case. I'd be willing to bet the Excell unit has the alloy condenser coil, too.

    If you can get an inverter unit with the alloy coils and plastic case, it might be worth the extra money(?). Otherwise, the condenser unit will rot out before you can recoup the extra money saved on electric with the inverter.

  9. Likes wilywes, windeguy, beeza, Kipling333 liked this post
  10. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Excell unit I got from Refripartes in La Romana back when I lived there about 5 years ago. It is only a SEER 10, not inverter type. Thats why Im considering changing it and putting it into the spare bedroom where it will get less use. TGM is from Florida and they have 3 in house name brands. Here is a link to their American website. In the about us section it talks about their brands a little.  http://www.refricenter.net/about-us.asp

  11. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    The TGM with the plastic case also has a special copper alloy condenser coil that does not oxiidize as rapidly as the aluminum coils on the standard unit. That's why it costs more, too. You're not just paying for a plastic case. I'd be willing to bet the Excell unit has the alloy condenser coil, too.

    If you can get an inverter unit with the alloy coils and plastic case, it might be worth the extra money(?). Otherwise, the condenser unit will rot out before you can recoup the extra money saved on electric with the inverter.
    Savvy point.

  12. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You should buy an Inverter air conditioner bigger than you would a conventional A/C. Besides, US room size calculations aren't necessarily valid for DR climate. 18k btu seems fine to me.

  13. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
  14. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    You should buy an Inverter air conditioner bigger than you would a conventional A/C. Besides, US room size calculations aren't necessarily valid for DR climate. 18k btu seems fine to me.
    Thanks for the input Mauricio. May I ask why there is the need to buy a larger Inverter type A/C unit than the conventional?  The size calculations I used were based on the climate in Florida, which is a similar climate to the DR in my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong????

    Refricentre (Refripartes American branch from Florida) recommends a 9000BTU unit based on my size. Funny though, cause refripartes in DR says 18,000BTU. Hence why I am asking on this forum .

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •