travel to the far reaches of theDR is it safe?

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
My friends as you all know I have a newly acquired passion for this place they call the DR so much so
that while I am only able to visit for a few days at a time I am truly like a kid in the worlds best
candy store. My next and second trip to the DR will of course take me to Santiago however I will
be there for only a day I want to travel and visit the far reaches of the rural towns in the NorthWest part of the country. My question is whether their exist a significant safety concern
when venturing to parts of the DR where tourist are never expected to go? I truly want to see the
DR and its beauty in a raw and relatively unspoiled and untouristed way anybody have and comments on this?

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
As far as you are from the touristic places the safer you will be.
Dominicans in those towns are very naive.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
dont worry about it

I have been to rural north western towns around Monte Cristi and I wouldnt worry about it being unsafe at all. I dont necessarily think its because the people there are more 'naive' than Dominicans in the cities, but everyone is friendlier, which is usually true anywhere that is not a big city. You may get some looks if you are obviously American, but you will be as safe as you would be at home probably, or safer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There will be no problems. The whole NW of the country is well accustomed to foreigners.
United Fruit was here from 1945 to 1963 and there have been others here since then. Plus Peace Corps volunteers, the odd tourist and the numerous treasure hunters and ex-pats that hang around the area.
It should be an interesting experience.

HB

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Hillybilly

Hi mate, can i ask where you live mate. Have you lived in alot of places in DR. If you could live anywhere in the DR where would it be and why. And which has been the best times to live in the DR?

Sorry to pick your brains, but you do seem to have a good knowledge of the place and its history. Is that just old age tho! lol

cheers mate

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I agree with HB 100%. And I have some authority, I am probably the only Monte Cristi native on DR1. I don't think that you will encounter any problem when travelling around there.

But I have to warn you, that the Northwest is not particularly "touristy". It mostly appeals to the youth and the sporty people looking for a little "adventure". The area is nowhere near what you've seen in the rest of the country, it is a Tropical Desert Forrest, which means that it is not as lush as the rest of the island, and it is a lot hotter.

If you are the kind who likes air conditioned, organized travels , then the Northwest is not the place for you. It is a good experience if you don't mind being a little uncomfortable and you have a taste for adventure. Places you shouldn't miss? Monte Cristi for staying, also for water sports and hiking. Manzanillo, great beach, cheap food, interesting town. Dajab?n, go on Friday and you could get a short trip to see Haiti. You just walk thru the border, it's an interesting experience.

Need more info? Email me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JayUK: I have lived most of my life in Santiago. It is a wonderful city, not the center of the Dominican Universe but probably the heart of the Country.
I have lived in Santo Domingo-major UGH! - but if you want money
and power, that is the place to go. And it does have some enchanting places and people.
I have lived in POP for short periods and it is a lovely city really messed up by its dream of being a tourist center without the education or infrastructure to maintain the status. The All-Inclusives dealt a deathblow to the place, and the local idiots killed off the Cruise Lines....
I have lived for short periods in Saman?; Before, during and after it's "makeover" , and Before was more interesting but after is cleaner and neater. However, they paid a very high price for "development" and moderninity. And they lost a lot of their charm. The people are still the very nicest.
I have spent months in Jarabacoa, and it is still pretty much "country" with only a little of the touristy stuff there...
Constanza is purely agriculture land, intense, market driven folks, and cold!(the climate, not so much the people) The folks are nice but they must attend the fields before they have any time for play. And there is not much to do there.
Barahona used to be a sugar mill town. The population is much darker then the North, but they are very open hearted and friendly. If tourism ever gets started there-the beaches generally are fourth rate, the people will be the source of its enchantment.
I have spent a lot of time in Mao. This is almost a purely agricultural town-rice, bananas and plantains. The folks are kind of parochial, and, like most farmers, they are a little closed minded and worry a lot...and in this country the farmers have a lot to worry about.
The southeast-Juan Dolio area and La Romana- are given to tourism and have little of their own spirit. Hotels and golf courses.

too long yet too short...

HB

P.S. A note on Montecristi: We used to have a joke about MC: The mosquitos there were so big that they never bit you!!

Nope! They just picked you up and took you home for a more leisurely meal!!!

Sorry PIB, but the "Truth will out" Shakespeare

Last edited:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
evil mosquitoes

that is the truest joke I have ever heard! I had *scars* fromt he mosquitoes in MC for months!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
You are right again HB. Monte Cristi has mosquitoes in the night. One would think it is strange in a dry area like that, but the mosquitoes are a part of the ecosystem, the larvae serves as food for the small creatures in the mangroves. Just bring some OFF or other kind of repelent.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The backroads

Great survey of the country Hillbilly. I worked in many rural areas of the DR and have found many interesting areas to visit in mountain areas. A rugged vehicle or a motorcycle is recommended. The people are best in the hardest places to reach. Some of my favorites are the area between Blanco Arriba and Esquita Espuela, all around San Jose de Ocoa, Rio Limpio past Loma de Cabrera, I have heard that Jiminoa (sp?) is beautiful. Around Moncion is another area. I walked one time from Imbert, around the backside of La Isabela in Puerta Plata, toward Sosua. This was an all day trek and there are great places to hike all through the mountain ranges. You can find nice water falls, swimming holes, unbelievable views, you can still find forested areas and see the impact of deforestation, and great exercise. Hiking up Pico Duarte (I have seen a map with a number of access points)or Esquita Espuela is nice. The later is a clould forest and is at an unusually low allitude. There are people living is places you couldn't imagine.