Dynatrap mosquito traps. Do they work?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Pricesmart have them in stock at the moment.

They're not cheap, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any success with them before I purchase one.

I'm not convinced of this science 
 CO2 (irresistible to mosquitoes) is released from organic matter by the photo-catalytic reaction of Titanium Dioxide treated surfaces and UV-Light.

https://www.dynatrap.com

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Pricesmart have them in stock at the moment.

They're not cheap, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any success with them before I purchase one.

I'm not convinced of this science 

https://www.dynatrap.com

the concept is scientifically sound, but none of these miracle solutions has ever been properly executed. the result is that all the suckers who have bought them find them to be little more than expensive lamps.

save your money. buy coils. they stink, but they are cheap...and they work.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Not to mention that they need to be placed far away from your living areas as they ATTRACT all the mosquitoes in the neighborhood to you!

Some may stop off for a bite to eat on their way to their funeral.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As mentioned, they do trap and kill mosquitoes but do nothing for the ones that encounter you on their way towards the trap. There are more mosquitoes than you can hope to trap. For temporary relief, an insect fogger, can provide a few hours of respite before your yard gets repopulated.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I use the mosquito magnet in cottage country works well ...it basically lures them I would say 60% reduction but you need big area small lots need not apply...;)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've always tried my best to repel them rather than lure them.  Plenty of smelly coils and a weekly can of Off for the family.

From what I've read about the theories of traps is that mozzies are not long haul flyers.  They don't travel very far.  So if you install a trap, you can control the population in your local area and after a few weeks, you should notice a decline.

I am also very diligent in reducing breeding areas on my property, i.e., no standing water.  What gets me is why I always get bitten whilst I'm at my computer desk!  That's where they frequent the most.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I use the mosquito magnet in cottage country works well ...it basically lures them I would say 60% reduction but you need big area small lots need not apply...;)

That's the one that uses a propane tank right?  I've hear that they are quite effective too.  Pricey tho.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I had a Dynatrap and it barely trapped a mosquito...for some reason it works better in Canada than in the DR where it was utterly useless.

I found the zapper tennis racquets worked best for me...and it is fun!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I had a Dynatrap and it barely trapped a mosquito...for some reason it works better in Canada than in the DR where it was utterly useless.

I found the zapper tennis racquets worked best for me...and it is fun!!

Those tennis racquets are really satisfying.  Especially when you get a double zap in a single swing.  There's also the toilet game.  The one when you're sat down.  That's when you're at your most vulnerable, they attack in squadrons.  What's really frustrating is when you do the one handed swoop and catch one in mid air, only to open your hand to see what you killed and it flies away!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Those tennis racquets are really satisfying.  Especially when you get a double zap in a single swing.  There's also the toilet game.  The one when you're sat down.  That's when you're at your most vulnerable, they attack in squadrons.  What's really frustrating is when you do the one handed swoop and catch one in mid air, only to open your hand to see what you killed and it flies away!

I love it when they start smoking!!

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I love the tennis racquets . I play a with my friends first one to 21zaps wins , zap a moth you get a bonus of 5 points it's also good for your tennis game.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My Ladrone-Zapper security wall.

jzinv4.jpg

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We bought 2 of the large 1 acre and 1 of the medium 1/2 acre. 1 large one stopped working in 3 months. As recommended in Amazon, we bought extra bulbs and have used them all since they burn through them every 6 months to a year.

They attract lots of night flying insects but very few mosquitos. It is difficult to tell what is in the basket with all the larger insect bodies. Sitting outside last night, 20 feet away from the large one, we were being eaten alive and had to go indoors.

When we moved here with our container, we had 2 Mosquito Magnets that worked great in the U.S. and they worked, after some burner adjustment due to different LP, very well here in the D.R. They lasted about 5 years overall. I think that I read that A.E. has a new one at her place here but she has not posted on how it works.

If A.E. has good results then I'll buy another Mosquito Magnet at a much higher price and pay for the shipping that will not be cheap since I remember my old ones are heavy. I looks like the design has changed, so that's part of why I'm waiting for a report.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Went in to edit and puter froze. (new updates loaded.)

The larger unit had a fried board that could not be fixed and could not find a replacement. The med. unit fan failed at about 6 months but my guys found a work-around to get it running again. We also tried using a mosquito bait that we attached to the units, but don't know if they did any good.

We have not been bothered that much by mosquitos until last evening and can only think that with the warmer and wetter weather that we have a new large mosquito hatch.

I would NOT buy another Dynatrap.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought 2 of the large 1 acre and 1 of the medium 1/2 acre. 1 large one stopped working in 3 months. As recommended in Amazon, we bought extra bulbs and have used them all since they burn through them every 6 months to a year.

They attract lots of night flying insects but very few mosquitos. It is difficult to tell what is in the basket with all the larger insect bodies. Sitting outside last night, 20 feet away from the large one, we were being eaten alive and had to go indoors.

When we moved here with our container, we had 2 Mosquito Magnets that worked great in the U.S. and they worked, after some burner adjustment due to different LP, very well here in the D.R. They lasted about 5 years overall. I think that I read that A.E. has a new one at her place here but she has not posted on how it works.

If A.E. has good results then I'll buy another Mosquito Magnet at a much higher price and pay for the shipping that will not be cheap since I remember my old ones are heavy. I looks like the design has changed, so that's part of why I'm waiting for a report.

We've never used it. Have the machine, a lot of the stuff to run it (boxes of something and a lot of the co cartridges), but mosquitoes weren't bad this year. We planted mint along the back of the house, as read mosquitoes don't like it, and were comfortable outside. I bought a bunch of citronella incense and that worked great.

We probably should sell the machine, maybe when we go back.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks AE. After over 2 years of drought, our mosquito population went down. This year with more then needed rain that has continued into the dryer months (making them wet) the population appears to be returning. You might not wish to sell it until you see/feel during your next visit. I know that certain plants can help keep them away and maybe I'll try that this year. The citronella candles are nice but using a dozen or so every evening gets old and expensive.

I was really counting on your Mosquito Magnet review AE. I've read 6 pages for the Mosquito Magnet MM4200 Patriot Plus Mosquito Trap on Amazon and they are so mixed that no real conclusion can be made. It is normal that some reviews are by the Company or paid for while others are from competitors. I was counting on YOU! lol

But since you bought one; can you tell us what was your deciding factor?

Thanks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We've never used it. Have the machine, a lot of the stuff to run it (boxes of something and a lot of the co cartridges), but mosquitoes weren't bad this year. We planted mint along the back of the house, as read mosquitoes don't like it, and were comfortable outside. I bought a bunch of citronella incense and that worked great.

We probably should sell the machine, maybe when we go back.

most insects cant stand mint. if you boil mint leaves in water, and reduce the liquid to a nice, thick consistency, you can spray it in corners of rooms, and nary a pest will enter. it also makes the rooms smell nice, but not to roaches, mosquitos, and other critters.