Residency/Citizenship & Canadian Police Report

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I may be the only one who pays attention to Buster Blowhard.....
But he has never failed me.

Recently , I commented here that RD wasn't asking for my Cdn Police report in my citizenship application, just the RD report.
The advice came back to get it anyway while visiting Canada... easier & cheaper.

Buster nails it again.... he even told me where to go to be fingerprinted !!

Off I go this morning....The Corps of Commissionaires In London ON.
Breeze in, breeze out.

$50 for the prints, $25 fee to the RCMP + tax =$81.50 (only 13% tax on the prints , $0 for the RCMP in tax)

Looking to trip Mr Blowhard up, I asked where else in London I could go -
Nowhere, we are the only place.
It seems unless you are in Toronto, Hamilton, Barrie your options are limited.

Doing it from outside the country involves ink prints at an embassy, conversion to digital before submission to the RCMP and much more $$$ plus all the sending around.

Sooo, thanks to the WindBag - I am prepared for all eventualities.

DR1... what a treasure trove of information !!

So for any Cdn applications needed for RD.....
there's a tip from today's experience

Maybe i should post a duplicate in the OT forum to watch it be beaten up....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
just curious what are the requirements for citizenship? fill out the required documents, permanent residence for two years, I am sure there must be more.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Doing it from outside the country involves ink prints at an embassy, conversion to digital before submission to the RCMP and much more $$$ plus all the sending around.

Even better, prints are not taken at the embassy but at the Policia Nacional headquarters in Santo Domingo and must be digitized by an RCMP approved third party company. A lovely experience...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
just curious what are the requirements for citizenship? fill out the required documents, permanent residence for two years, I am sure there must be more.

The requirements vary depending on the category of citizenship you require. They are all listed on the Ministry of Interior and Police website, here.
http://www.mi.gob.do/index.php/2015-10-16-17-29-28

They are the lists of requirements plus the application form. You just get everything together, apostilled where needed, translated and legalized, and take the lot to the Ministry and hand it in. Then you get an interview date - they give you the questions on the website - it is in Spanish. Then if you pass you wait for them to do DNCD, DNI checks and pretend to do an Interpol check. Then you have to do your own home country police check - even though they don't tell you to, hand that in and wait for a swearing in date. Once sworn in you can get Dominican birth cert and cedula and passport.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ignore the above post. All documentation necessary re citizenship appears to have disappeared. Probably coming up with some cunning new plan.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Type in your postal code and presto!!! Find an Office
Apparently there is an office in Cobourg, so it is not only larger cities where you can get fingerprinted.

My point , poorly written, was that outside of those cities I cited you have only the Corps of Commisionaires to get digitized fingerprints.

It certainly is available outside major cities... if you read that I was today in London ON

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ignore the above post. All documentation necessary re citizenship appears to have disappeared. Probably coming up with some cunning new plan.

Matilda

LOL, ain't nothing like the good ole la republica dominicana..........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Even better, prints are not taken at the embassy but at the Policia Nacional headquarters in Santo Domingo and must be digitized by an RCMP approved third party company. A lovely experience...

That's where the Commissionaires come in.
The approved third party 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You really don't need to pay for a lawyer - "girl" or not. You just get together EXACTLY what they ask for (when they decide what that is) and hand it in. Pay the fee - around RD$1500 I think the first time, but may have changed, go to interview and then wait. If you are a woman you need to be aware that the citizenship is issued in your maiden name, so if your name has changed at all you need to provide documented and apostilled proof of all of the changes ie previous marriage and divorce certs.

matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You really don't need a lawyer or a "girl". Once they decide what the requirements are - which they are obviously changing yet again - just get the docs together, get them apostilled and translated and the translations legalized, hand them in, pay the fee - was RD$1,500 pesos when I did it, go to interview and wait. Call every three weeks as instructed for x years until you provide police report from home country (or do it first time round if they ask for it), pay a bit more and get sworn in. Be warned, the citizenship is issued in the name on your birth cert, so if you are a woman and have been married and divorced before marrying a Dominican - ie the name on your marriage cert is not the same as name on your birth cert, you will have to provide apostilled proof of that - ie previous marriage and divorce certs.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Too difficult for me Matilda from Cabrera.... rather take the easy route.

I am doing the birth certificate, etc from Toronto this month.....filing in July.

Thanks

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

I am doing the birth certificate, etc from Toronto this month.....filing in July.

Thanks

Good luck hope it all goes well. I use my translator in Santo Domingo to drop the papers off so having someone on the spot to help with that saves the journey to the capital. Just, from my experience, check carefully that every single paper is in order, not out of time and that you have everything on the list - when they publish it again.

mat

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That too , is what she looks after....

I just file what she asks for.... way easier than chasing a moving target

example... they said I don't need the Cdn police report
for insurance, I'm getting it while I'm here.... just in case.

She is wired in Migracion... been working with them for years
Knows the back door and shortcuts

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
That too , is what she looks after....

I just file what she asks for.... way easier than chasing a moving target

example... they said I don't need the Cdn police report
for insurance, I'm getting it while I'm here.... just in case.

She is wired in Migracion... been working with them for years
Knows the back door and shortcuts

Good re Migracion but citizenship has nothing to do with Migracion. It is the Ministry of Interior and Police - totally different department and the two do not speak to each other lol.

Matilda

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
The correct lawyer paid the correct amount for the VIP treatment and the only document you will need is a stained drink napkin with your name and cell number on it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good re Migracion but citizenship has nothing to do with Migracion. It is the Ministry of Interior and Police - totally different department and the two do not speak to each other lol.

Matilda

My error in wording, mia culpa.....and i respect your opinion

But to your comment-
I understand the self sufficiency side of your point.... but a counterpoint

I am, have been, and hopefully will be self sufficient but one needs to know what do delegate.

reading and following the current changes in policy can be done , perhaps, not easy - as you allude to -
I would prefer (in those circumstances) to rely on someone who interacts with the Ministry of the Interior and Police on a regular basis to determine what the actual interpretation of those changes are and how they are actually applied in day to day work.

That's the key... not knowing the rules but knowing how to work them.,,....IMO

What a small mistake leads to could be devastating... in time and paperwork .

Any country's rules and regulations can be a morass for most citizens or applicants..
A professional comes in handy....

Just my way of dealing with it

Stress is not my friend

As a case in point ,
I posted earlier about her meeting me at Migracion (and it was Migracion) to sign papers for my application
I didn't tell the whole story.........

She arrived before me and got a number, but we never waited for my number.

I was there for one reason only.... to sign two papers in front of an official

Once I arrived , disregarding numbers, she took me to the window,
indicated to her friend the clerk that I was now present.

Slid my residency card and passport to the clerk for my identification...
The clerk then slid her the necessary papers... which I signed.
All done to the side of the window.

Mission accomplished... I was done in 10-15 minutes.... no, zero wait time.
No line disruption, nada.

A well connected professional can make life easier.... from my limited experience

We'll see , I guess....

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Well today i went to desposit ministerio de interior y policia for citizen and they gave me a list of other requirements.  They are changing the forms requirements ect.. they are now requiring more information on solvency, work contracts, property titles etc.. give them a call or visit  if you are about to start process. They have taken everything off the web. 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Thanks

Interesting thing to note, when you get your Dominican birth certificate and Cedula your last names will be the same as all Latinos. Mothers last name first then fathers I became Saunders McGinnis instead of just Saunders.