Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In some countries they use a little hydrated lime into the equation ...it is used when you want concrete to be load bearing and also it is water resisting . I have not seen it used in the DR but in my youth and for centuries before it was the norm .

2. Likes pelaut liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    In some countries they use a little hydrated lime into the equation ...it is used when you want concrete to be load bearing and also it is water resisting . I have not seen it used in the DR but in my youth and for centuries before it was the norm .
    Is that what thet sell here in ferreterias under the name " cal viva " ? How much would you ad to, let's say, 1 bag of cement?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    There is a particularly good example of that just outside Porto Antonio in Jamaica where a celebrity built a rather large property and the contractor used unwashed beach sand.......deserted and unusable some years back. The salt reacts with the reinforcing bar which expands and bursts the concrete to simplify the reaction.

The story of Folly Ruins

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

and away we go Joe

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobo View Post
    Is that what thet sell here in ferreterias under the name " cal viva " ? How much would you ad to, let's say, 1 bag of cement?
    I have not seen that product so cannot say if it is hydrated lime but many years ago we would only use in the mixer less than one part to fifteen or even one part to twenty .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12