The Downside of Colmados...Perhaps

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I prefer the supermarket wherever possible. Too many times we got spoiled stuff ordering from colmados, I avoid buying anything edible from these sh**holes. Colmados and hygiene are two different worlds.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I prefer the supermarket wherever possible. Too many times we got spoiled stuff ordering from colmados, I avoid buying anything edible from these sh**holes. Colmados and hygiene are two different worlds.

Fact is we are organized these days.

But I recall in my youth the delivery vans in the UK in the country before we had supermarkets. And in the town the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers who are on the decline.

The interesting question is how long will the colmados last as society develops? My perception is a reduction in the better quarters of the city to supercolmados already.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Often referred to as 'progress'.......... at the expense of the smaller retailer.

The 'Big Box' phenomenon in NoAmerica

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I think it is a matter of being careful what you buy from them. I buy Bohemia, no doubts on its freshness, both botellones de aqua and the packs of bottles, I see trucks that deliver and assume it is ok, haven't had any skanky water. I will also on occasion buy some vegetables if too lazy to go to the supermarket but it's pretty easy to tell if fresh buy, if not pass.
I speak Spanish but with my obvious gringo accent my colmado never asks who is calling or where to deliver. I love the convenience.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I have seen rented apartments in the barrio stocked with Presidente beers which are sold to some of the colmados on the cheap. The bottles were dusty as if they had been stored for a long time. I can't say how it tasted, since i no longer drink beer. Do colmados sell old stuff? Most definitely. First in Last out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Never see that in RD.

My wife the expert on throwing out food claims the eggs last longer if unwashed...
Which they always are (washed) in most countries......not RD

Also, an old farmer told me never to wash your vegetables until ready to use ---
last longer with that bit dirt on them.

My new beet recipe calls for cooking & eating 'skin on'....Frances Mallman, Argentinian

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Never see that in RD.

My wife the expert on throwing out food claims the eggs last longer if unwashed...
Which they always are (washed) in most countries......not RD

Also, an old farmer told me never to wash your vegetables until ready to use ---
last longer with that bit dirt on them.

My new beet recipe calls for cooking & eating 'skin on'....Frances Mallman, Argentinian

When I was a kid we had a root cellar and an acre+ of garden. When we dug potatoes and carrots for storage we didn't wash them before storing them and always had both still for Easter time.
Dee Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never shop in colmados. not that i am essentially against it, to each their own, i just find it more comfortable to shop weekly in a supermarket. it's something i look forward, to be honest. grocery shopping is a highlight of my week and god help miesposo on days when we go to santiago or SD because i will take every aisle in a store looking for stuff to buy.

as far as the expired stock... most colmado owners are badly organized. they do not understand the concept of arranging new purchases further in the back so that old things are sold first. they do not keep inventory and do not know what was bought when and what products are due to expire. certain things will be fresh, especially if it's something sold frequently like beer. other stuff, probably not so much.

we do most of our shopping in jose luis with monthly trip to la sirena. occasionally i see the workers do inventory, check products, remove some items from the shelves and stocking more. still, it's not a guarantee that nothing goes past best before date. it's always best to check.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I love colmado food. The more I drink, the better it taste :cheeky:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you ate my goat... you would never know ... just like lamb or beef.... Meat.

Very good goat.... as long as nobody tells you what you're eating

I have many converts that way... I just serve the dinner stew... no comment , no name.... Stew

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
If you ate my goat... you would never know ... just like lamb or beef.... Meat.

Very good goat.... as long as nobody tells you what you're eating

I have many converts that way... I just serve the dinner stew... no

comment , no name.... Stew

Also keep in mind that many Dominicans use the colmado out of necessity. In a supermarket they can't get things fiao.

In their neighborhood colmado they can buy now and pay later.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Maybe I use a Colmado for beer once in a blue moon..... I have to inspect everything before I buy it got that from my mom.
my friend told me some nasty stories of things that happen in a colmado especially when the owner starts drinking. plus I don't want those delivery men in my casa...

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Why is it that if you don't eat your cold cuts in 1 day they have a slime on them the 2nd day, Iv'e thrown a lot of cold cuts. I hardly buy them anymore.