Working conditions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
This is primarily about government work conditions, but comments about other work is also appreciated.

Does the government try to take advantage of every one of its employees or is my GF simply an unlucky one?

Despite having a contract that clearly states her hours (8am-5pm) and salary, she rarely is allowed to leave work before 6 pm and often will work until 7pm. In addition there have been many weekends where she was required to work Saturday (either half or full day). And if that wasn't bad enough she occasionally has to attend seminars in the evenings.

All of the extra hours are unpaid of course.

I'm curious to know if this is normal in DR and if it is, why so?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
That sounds like everyday hours for most folks in corporate America. If she doesn't like it she can quit.  

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
My sister in law works in la suprema corte  de justicia. Every week the same thing several days untill 7 or 8 without extra payments. Her whole departement experiencing the same so it seems quite normal.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
My sister in law works in la suptema corte  de justicia. Every week the same thing several days untill 7 or 8 without extra payments. Her whole departement experiencing the same so it seems quite normal.

If you want to get ahead you need to put in the time and effort. most successful Dominicans work very hard. Life ain't easy. If you want easy work schedules move to California with the wierdos

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you want to get ahead you need to put in the time and effort. most successful Dominicans work very hard. Life ain't easy. If you want easy work schedules move to California with the wierdos

i am fully aware of the notion that if you want to get ahead, then you need to get your nose to the grindstone, and go some extra miles. however, if you do, you ought to be paid accordingly.

there is nothing esoteric nor abstruse about this. when you work, you produce something. the production of such goods and services has a value. if you are not compensated, then that value accrues, unjustly, to someone who did not work for it, namely the ownership of capital, or, in this case, the government. it is a simple case of unjust enrichment, but nobody challenges governments in third world countries, because they usually hire people as a political favor, anyway. so, people accept their shyte, because getting real jobs can oftentimes be really tricky.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Yeah, it's normal. I had a job in which required me to work extra hours, and sometimes weekends too. Attending seminars for free? That's a good thing! I don't see it as being a burden.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
When I read the post I thought the extra work might have been at a cabana with the boss. Sorry for my negative thinking. After reading the replies I guess it is the norm. I am sure not every boss would take advantage of a young secretary.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sure doesn't apply to the hour they are available to provide service to the public. Bank workers put in extra hours without overtime pay, so do we and several of our teachers ( they do get a bonus at the end of the year) and those that don't volunteer to put in extra time don't work extra time and they don't get a bonus. Many store employees also work past closing time. This is not just in the DR.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the OP is aware that people work unpaid hours in this country, and in others. what he or she appears to be asking is why this is so. it is obviously a travesty of justice, so why is it apparently accepted?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I read the post I thought the extra work might have been at a cabana with the boss. Sorry for my negative thinking. After reading the replies I guess it is the norm. I am sure not every boss would take advantage of a young secretary.....

nothing negative, everything realistic. many of those fine looking secretaries you see in these companies did not get their jobs because they are on a short list for the Nobel Prize.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know several people who work for the government Banco de Reservas and that is their experience too.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Well known that many lower level service employees are expected to perform "extra" duties

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well known that many lower level service employees are expected to perform "extra" duties

actually, not just lower level occupations. there are people who occupy positions for which they are obviously not qualified. that is because they can occupy other positions, for which they are eminently qualified.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
actually, not just lower level occupations. there are people who occupy positions for which they are obviously not qualified. that is because they can occupy other positions, for which they are eminently qualified.

lol.. you gonna catch some heat

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
lol.. you gonna catch some heat

i have been to many seminars here, such as tourism meetings, and others. what amazes me is that there are always a few really lovely ladies scattered among the august gentlemen, and they never usually seem to be active participants. they do hold some positions, because they are on the podium, but they never say anything, and never seem to take notes. they make no apparent active contributions. i have concluded that because you never see an overweight woman with the countenance of a barn door in these gatherings, the women are there for R and R.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Yeah, it's normal. I had a job in which required me to work extra hours, and sometimes weekends too. Attending seminars for free? That's a good thing! I don't see it as being a burden.

First of all those 'free' seminars are paid for with your time. Second of all, those 'free' seminars are not ones that the workers choose. They are compulsory seminars scheduled at night instead of during your 'regular' working hours. Still think they are a good thing? :nervous:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
First of all those 'free' seminars are paid for with your time. Second of all, those 'free' seminars are not ones that the workers choose. They are compulsory seminars scheduled at night instead of during your 'regular' working hours. Still think they are a good thing? :nervous:

exactly, MarkDr. they are paid for by your loss of leisure. the objective is to make you more productive, to fatten their bottom line, so they are doing you no favors..

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016

I can see how it might be fun to go off on a tangent, but... I was simply referring to regular office work after the hours stipulated on a contract. Now my hot 50+ yr. old GF could of course be pulling the wool over my eyes and getting it on with her 50+ yr. old female boss after hours. But then, why would she be complaining to me about it? Does that make sense? :rolleyes:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
From experience of some family members Government jobs can be more time consuming than one would expect. It was interesting to see how this innocuous theme ended up in depravity. Good ol DR1 !!!

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
the OP is aware that people work unpaid hours in this country, and in others. what he or she appears to be asking is why this is so. it is obviously a travesty of justice, so why is it apparently accepted?
Yes, this is the essence of what I am trying to get at. No one has tried to explain why it is so.
If you are going to routinely make your employees work extra hours without pay, wouldn't it make sense to be up front about this and just state it in the contract you make your employees sign when they start working for you?
This way you've covered your ass legally and everyone knows the score from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.